Why does a 500 pixel brush fit perfectly in a 400×400 square?

JL
Posted By
Jeffrey_Lewis
Jun 22, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Open a 400×400 pixel square and then set a round brush to 500. It fits perfectly inside the square, why? If it is 500 pixels across shouldn’t it extend out of the screen?

Is this another strange adobe thing?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DJ
dennis_johnson
Jun 22, 2004
Not sure why you’re getting that result, Jeffrey. When I do as you describe the painted area extends outside the square, just as expected.

What are your brush dynamics settings? Are you using a graphics tablet?
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jun 22, 2004
It doesn’t with PS7 or PE2 for me.

Make sure you are using hard edged brush.
It should extend way beyond …

M
TM
Trevor_Morris
Jun 22, 2004
PS only shows (viewing the brush outline – and marching ants) pixels that are 50% opaque or higher. So, if the brush has a soft edge, it will not be represented as part of the brush outline.
JL
Jeffrey_Lewis
Jun 22, 2004
Ah, the soft edge vs hard edge brush is the answer. Thanks guys. Sometimes the littlest things make all the difference. Now if I can just get that tragic wand to work right…..

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections