NL
Posted By
neil leslie
Aug 19, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m an illustrator and have always used the ‘Color management Off’ setting in Color Settings, mainly because colour management seemed a black art and the commercially printed illustrations always were acceptably close to the display on my monitor so it wasn’t a real problem. But I’m now getting paranoid about colour accuracy. I’ve calibrated my monitor using the ‘Displays’ control panel that comes with OSX. I’ve set Color Settings to Europe Prepress Defaults (I’m in the UK) and have Adobe RGB (1998) as my Working Space. All of which seems to be in line with the online advice I’ve been reading. However, now my images are displayed with super saturated colours. Why is this and how do I fix it? Any help would be appreciated.

I’m on OS10.2.8 and running Photoshop7.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

N
nomail
Aug 19, 2005
neil leslie wrote:

I’m an illustrator and have always used the ‘Color management Off’ setting in Color Settings, mainly because colour management seemed a black art and the commercially printed illustrations always were acceptably close to the display on my monitor so it wasn’t a real problem. But I’m now getting paranoid about colour accuracy. I’ve calibrated my monitor using the ‘Displays’ control panel that comes with OSX. I’ve set Color Settings to Europe Prepress Defaults (I’m in the UK) and have Adobe RGB (1998) as my Working Space. All of which seems to be in line with the online advice I’ve been reading. However, now my images are displayed with super saturated colours. Why is this and how do I fix it? Any help would be appreciated.

Most of your images won’t have a color profile, because you worked with ‘no color management’ in the past. That means that those images should be opened in the ‘working color space’ that you used then, which should be sRGB or close to that. Apparently you open the images directly in your present working space (AdobeRGB). That’s why they become over- saturated; it’s the wrong color space for those images.

Set the color preferences in Photoshop so that you get a warning if an image without a color profile is opened. If you get that warning, select the following option: ‘Assign sRGB’. You can also convert to AdobeRGB, but there is no real reason to do that.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections