Posted By
Kinu Panda
Aug 18, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi all,

Long story short, I have an image which has a text layer that contains a number, and I need to create a set of different images that only differ in the text layer; that is, I need to end up with, say, 1000 similar images, with the numbers 1 through 1000 on the text layer. Short of doing it by hand, which is doable but is something I’d rather avoid, is there a method involving writing a script (I have CS2) and then batch running it that would give me the desired effect? If there’s a solution out there, I’d be willing to try that as well.

Thanks in advance,

~kinu

Kinu Panda
Spam Me: KINUMAN at yahoo! period com

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

LI
Lorem Ipsum
Aug 18, 2005
"Kinu Panda" wrote in message

Long story short, I have an image which has a text layer that contains a number, and I need to create a set of different images that only differ in the text layer; that is, I need to end up with, say, 1000 similar images, with the numbers 1 through 1000 on the text layer. […]

CHEAP AND DIRTY way that works if you want to do it WITHOUT SCRIPTING. The results are the same.
First, with your handy spreadsheet program create a single column as shown here:

emumerate
(auto fill to 1,000. There is a button in every spreadsheet to do this)

Then save that file as comma delimited.

Now…
Open ImageReady (it comes with Photoshop).
Open the image you want to enumerate.
Create a new layer.
Type "1" in it with the text centered or right justifed, whatever. (This will be replaced.)

Then right-click on that layer – to the right of the icon. (there are two right-click options. You must click to the right of the icon.) Take the Variables option.
In the first window, click on the lower option for [X] Text Replacement Then type the word enumerate in the text box
press the NEXT button
Then in the window that shows next, press IMPORT
find the file you just created and press Open

To be safe, now save the file.

Finally, under the menu File – Export – Data Sets as Files press OKAY

Wait a couple minutes and you will have 1000 photoshop images, each with a text layer numbered 1 to 1000.

(In the last dialog – Export – you can change the naming convention to what you like. It doesn’t change the contents of the image. You can also use CS’s Browser to rename the files afterwards and batch the whole group of images to JPEG or GIF if you like. Alternatively, there’s a free Droplet in Photoshop’s "Samples" folder that will do this. Just drag it into the folder, then drag all your files onto it.)

How’s that for working around scripting? 🙂

FWIW, there is server technology that obviates making a thousand copies, and fiinally if you are handy with Javascript, you can do this with one image and layers that enumerates upon creation.)
KP
Kinu Panda
Aug 18, 2005
"Lorem Ipsum" wrote in message

Long story short, I have an image which has a text layer that contains a number, and I need to create a set of different images that only differ in
the text layer; that is, I need to end up with, say, 1000 similar images, with the numbers 1 through 1000 on the text layer. […]

CHEAP AND DIRTY way that works if you want to do it WITHOUT SCRIPTING. The results are the same.
First, with your handy spreadsheet program create a single column as shown here:

emumerate

Now…
Create a new layer.
Type "1" in it with the text centered or right justifed, whatever. (This will be replaced.)

Then right-click on that layer – to the right of the icon. (there are two right-click options. You must click to the right of the icon.) Take the Variables option.
In the first window, click on the lower option for [X] Text Replacement Then type the word enumerate in the text box
press the NEXT button

Wait a couple minutes and you will have 1000 photoshop images, each with a text layer numbered 1 to 1000.

(In the last dialog – Export – you can change the naming convention to what you like. It doesn’t change the contents of the image. You can also use CS’s Browser to rename the files afterwards and batch the whole group of images to JPEG or GIF if you like. Alternatively, there’s a free Droplet in Photoshop’s "Samples" folder that will do this. Just drag it into the folder, then drag all your files onto it.)

FWIW, there is server technology that obviates making a thousand copies, and fiinally if you are handy with Javascript, you can do this with one image and layers that enumerates upon creation.)

Wow… just wow. That’s EXACTLY what I needed, and it works really well. Granted, I was willing to get my hands dirty with scripting and whatnot, but I’m glad that such a simpler solution exists. Many thanks!

~kinu

Kinu Panda
Spam Me: KINUMAN at yahoo! period com
K
KatWoman
Aug 18, 2005
"Lorem Ipsum" wrote in message

Long story short, I have an image which has a text layer that contains a number, and I need to create a set of different images that only differ in
the text layer; that is, I need to end up with, say, 1000 similar images, with the numbers 1 through 1000 on the text layer. […]

emumerate

Now…
Create a new layer.

press the NEXT button

what a great idea!
now I learned 2 new Image Ready things
and a new Excel thing!
LI
Lorem Ipsum
Aug 18, 2005
"KatWoman" wrote in message

Lorem Ipsum wrote something [… snipped …]

what a great idea!
now I learned 2 new Image Ready things
and a new Excel thing!

An aside – a correction that might make a difference.

I said to type in the number "1". It works, but if you are not centering the number, it’s best to type 0 (zeros) to the length of the highest number.That way you can see how the longest number will justify. So, for justified numeric text for 1000 images, type in 00000.
H
Hecate
Aug 18, 2005
On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 11:32:12 -0500, "Lorem Ipsum" wrote:

Clever – I’ve always preferred "quick and dirty" 😉

Hecate – The Real One

Fashion: Buying things you don’t need, with money
you don’t have, to impress people you don’t like…
R
Roberto
Aug 18, 2005
"Hecate" wrote in message

I think I’ll put that tip into my book entitled Nooners.
H
Hecate
Aug 19, 2005
On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 18:36:01 -0500, "Lorem Ipsum" wrote:

"Hecate" wrote in message

I think I’ll put that tip into my book entitled Nooners.
LOL!

Hecate – The Real One

Fashion: Buying things you don’t need, with money
you don’t have, to impress people you don’t like…

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections