Saving pictures in original compression mode?

JM
Posted By
James McNangle
Aug 10, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Yesterday I downloaded an image from the Web, used Photoshop to trim it to about two thirds of its original size, then saved it again, using quality setting of
6. File size went from 9K to 26KB.

So I repeated the procedure using Thumbs Plus, which by default saves in the original mode, and this time the trimmed file was 7K. Is there any option in Photoshop to permit you to use the original quality setting when saving? Clearly if it has been compressed to blazes, you won’t gain anything by re-saving at a higher quality setting. (Especially when all you have done is to clip the photo.)

Thumbs plus also provides procedures to trim to exact sizes or proportions, which I find very useful. Again, so far as I can see, Photoshop offers no equivalent feature.

James McNangle

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

R
Roy
Aug 10, 2005
"James McNangle" wrote in message
Yesterday I downloaded an image from the Web, used Photoshop to trim it to about
two thirds of its original size, then saved it again, using quality setting of

So I repeated the procedure using Thumbs Plus, which by default saves in the
original mode, and this time the trimmed file was 7K. Is there any option in
Photoshop to permit you to use the original quality setting when saving? Clearly if it has been compressed to blazes, you won’t gain anything by re-saving at a higher quality setting. (Especially when all you have done is to
clip the photo.)

Thumbs plus also provides procedures to trim to exact sizes or proportions,
which I find very useful. Again, so far as I can see, Photoshop offers no equivalent feature.

James McNangle

If you are "saving for web" then you will see a file size indicator, and you can adjust the quality slider until that number comes into the expected size range.

If you look at the options for the Crop Tool, you will see that there are boxes where you can enter the required size, and even the resolution.

You should be aware that Photoshop is " The Industry Standard" program, and is not really designed for working with tiny (9K) Jpeg images, or for people who only want to open a Jpeg, edit, and then save as a Jpeg again.

The Professional users would be rather annoyed if Adobe removed any of the flexibility which it has, by reason of leaving this type of decision to the user.

Roy G
YD
yodel_dodel
Aug 10, 2005
Roy wrote:

You should be aware that Photoshop is " The Industry Standard" program, and is not really designed for working with tiny (9K) Jpeg images, or for people who only want to open a Jpeg, edit, and then save as a Jpeg again.

A pro has to do a mix of big and tiny jobs. An industry strength tool should be flexible enough to handle both types of jobs well.

The Professional users would be rather annoyed if Adobe removed any of the flexibility which it has, by reason of leaving this type of decision to the user.

What? Giving the user options does not mean removing flexibility, where did you get that idea?

Gregor’s Motorradreisen:
http://hothaus.de/greg-tour/
T
Tacit
Aug 10, 2005
In article ,
James McNangle wrote:

So I repeated the procedure using Thumbs Plus, which by default saves in the original mode, and this time the trimmed file was 7K. Is there any option in Photoshop to permit you to use the original quality setting when saving? Clearly if it has been compressed to blazes, you won’t gain anything by re-saving at a higher quality setting. (Especially when all you have done is to
clip the photo.)

Nothing allows you to save with the "original compression setting," because with a JPEG image the original compression setting is not stored in the image. (Photoshop saves this information in Photoshop-created JPEGs, but it is not part of the standard.)

You see, there is no single way to describe JPEG compression. JPEG compression is not linear; there are not choices along a line from 0 to 100 or whatever. There are many different variables you set when you save a JPEG, and the overall compression depends on how all these variables are set. The variables themselves are not saved as part of the file, and there is no standard way to describe them–one manufacturer might say "Well, a compression of 50 means these variables are set this way" and a different manufacturer might say "A compression of 50 means these variables are set in this other way."

Also, re-saving a JPEG after it’s been edited means re-compressing it, which means further image degradation and loss.

There are some programs which can crop a JPEG without re-compressing it. Photoshop does not do this.

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
K
KatWoman
Aug 10, 2005
"James McNangle" wrote in message
Yesterday I downloaded an image from the Web, used Photoshop to trim it to about
two thirds of its original size, then saved it again, using quality setting of

So I repeated the procedure using Thumbs Plus, which by default saves in the
original mode, and this time the trimmed file was 7K. Is there any option in
Photoshop to permit you to use the original quality setting when saving? Clearly if it has been compressed to blazes, you won’t gain anything by re-saving at a higher quality setting. (Especially when all you have done is to
clip the photo.)

Thumbs plus also provides procedures to trim to exact sizes or proportions,
which I find very useful. Again, so far as I can see, Photoshop offers no equivalent feature.

James McNangle

use save as…..do not save over the original unless you don’t care to preserve it.
Or as described us SAVE FOR WEB.
or save the working document as psd or tiff or other lossless format and then save copies of it in various sizes you need.
PS purposely does not let you make this error easily, so when you save jpg over jpg it ASKS you if you are sure.

or use thumbsplus if you like it better.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections