Photoshop CS2 Trial SMART installer – Can’t outsmart it!

J
Posted By
JollyRoger123
Jul 28, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hey all,

I thought I’d start this topic since I couldn’t find a solution currently available on the web.

I own adobe design collection (containing photoshop 7). I wanted to try out the creative suite for myself. I ended up doing a lot of work in InDesign CS2 and photoshop CS2. I then went on vacation for two weeks, came back, found my trial had ended, and was unable to open up my important files in my older adobe software. I thought all that I had to do was whipe out my drive and then reinstall the trials so that I could open my work and make my necessary changes. Not so easy!

Yes, I should just pay to upgrade my software. It’s the most logical solution to my problem. Well, I’m out of work and raking in scratch at the moment so I’m too frustrated to take the route just yet!

My idea was to whipe out windows every 30 days and reinstal all of my trials until I can afford CS2. But to my amazement, after reinsatlling photoshop CS2, it was somehow able to see its past expired trial and forced me to quit upon an attempt to get it running.

How did it know my 30 days were up as it existed in my past installation of windows XP???

Was it sending a fingerprint of my hardware configuration over the net to adobe’s server and comparing it to my past configuration?

Did it embed some code deep in a designated sector of my harddrive?

Did it embed code in the installation files so that future installations would have evidence of past use?

I’m far from a computer genious and I know nothing of the sophisticated anti-hacking schemes that are written into software these days to thwart would-be crackers from breaking their protection. I did attempt to bypass all of the above senarios that could account for their clever protection and was unable to bypass the trial experation. Here’s what I did:

*I resinstalled Windows XP SP1 after doing a long format on C:/ *I did NOT install any of my drivers (audio, video, LAN) *The internet was not enabled
*My D:/ drive was disconnected in the case code was embedded there. *I installed photoshop cs2 trial from a DVD-R freshly downloaded from the web in the case that code was embedded in install files in the past

I did all these things and still PS-CS2 **KNEW** that I had used it in the past on a previous OS and that my 30 days were up. HOW? Fresh new hard drive, no ability to access the magic portal of the world wide web, fresh install files, different hardware configuration. I’m perplexed!!!!

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

ND
Norm Dresner
Jul 28, 2005
"JollyRoger123" wrote in message
Hey all,

*I resinstalled Windows XP SP1 after doing a long format on C:/ *I did NOT install any of my drivers (audio, video, LAN) *The internet was not enabled
*My D:/ drive was disconnected in the case code was embedded there. *I installed photoshop cs2 trial from a DVD-R freshly downloaded from the web in the case that code was embedded in install files in the past
I did all these things and still PS-CS2 **KNEW** that I had used it in the past on a previous OS and that my 30 days were up. HOW? Fresh new hard drive, no ability to access the magic portal of the world wide web, fresh install files, different hardware configuration. I’m perplexed!!!!

Magic! It’s just magic. Get used to it.

;-))

Norm
K
KatWoman
Jul 28, 2005
Hey all,

I thought I’d start this topic since I couldn’t find a solution currently available on the web.

I own adobe design collection (containing photoshop 7). I wanted to try out the creative suite for myself. I ended up doing a lot of work in InDesign CS2 and photoshop CS2. I then went on vacation for two weeks, came back, found my trial had ended, and was unable to open up my important files in my older adobe software. I thought all that I had to do was whipe out my drive and then reinstall the trials so that I could open my work and make my necessary changes. Not so easy!
Yes, I should just pay to upgrade my software. It’s the most logical solution to my problem. Well, I’m out of work and raking in scratch at the moment so I’m too frustrated to take the route just yet!
My idea was to whipe out windows every 30 days and reinstal all of my trials until I can afford CS2. But to my amazement, after reinsatlling photoshop CS2, it was somehow able to see its past expired trial and forced me to quit upon an attempt to get it running.

How did it know my 30 days were up as it existed in my past installation of windows XP???

Was it sending a fingerprint of my hardware configuration over the net to adobe’s server and comparing it to my past configuration?
Did it embed code in the installation files so that future installations would have evidence of past use?

I’m far from a computer genious and I know nothing of the sophisticated anti-hacking schemes that are written into software these days to thwart would-be crackers from breaking their protection. I did attempt to bypass all of the above senarios that could account for their clever protection and was unable to bypass the trial experation. Here’s what I did:

do you have a friend with CS2 or a nearby Kinko’s or similar, maybe they can open the files and save them in an older format for you? In CS there was an option to save in the newer format (not shared by older versions)
Hindsight is 20/20
poor you

Does this mean files I create in CS2 will not be able to be opened by people with older versions??
As everyone upgrades on different schedules it sure makes it inconvenient.
C
Caitlin
Jul 29, 2005
Hey all,

Maybe the trial software is time limited as well, have you downloaded a new trial version?
R
RH
Jul 29, 2005
the only way to ‘fool’ it is to delete the partition on your hard drive, create the partition again and the format it. You’ll be able to get away with doing this every 30 days then – cheepskate 🙂

Cs2 and CS both have a checkbox in preferences that say ‘maximise compatibility’ – check this if you want to be able to load your images in previous versions

"Caitlin" wrote in message
Hey all,

Maybe the trial software is time limited as well, have you downloaded a new trial version?
J
JollyRoger123
Jul 29, 2005
Hey Rich,

Well I do thank you for a working solution! I didn’t think reseting the partition like that would be the solution after the already extensive lengths I took earlier, but now that you’ve some light it does make perfect sense that the the installer compared both installations by the partition it was on.

And yeah, it’s a "cheepstake" manuever, but I’m a graphic designer, out of work for the last 3 months, still in the process of working on a 300+ hour self-promotion campaign (portfolio, etc). I’m newly wed to my wife and we were forced to move into my IN-LAWS until we can afford the costs of living on our own again, so Adobe is just going to have to wait until my wallet gains a little more weight after this work drought!

Thanks also for the backwards compatability tip! That’s the real help clincher! After I follow your advice and have my foles openable in PS7, I’ll drop CS2 and work with my beloved, ol’ adobe design collection.

Jon

Rich wrote:
the only way to ‘fool’ it is to delete the partition on your hard drive, create the partition again and the format it. You’ll be able to get away with doing this every 30 days then – cheepskate 🙂

Cs2 and CS both have a checkbox in preferences that say ‘maximise compatibility’ – check this if you want to be able to load your images in previous versions
J
JollyRoger123
Jul 29, 2005
Ok then…

Just to englighten those who may be curious, and to you Rich, I did what you said, and I deleted the partition, formatted, and did a re-instal of PS CS2 trial.

Loaded the program with much anticipation, and BOOM! "Your trial period of 30 days have expired" (or something to that effect)

HOWWWWWW? My lord! Do I need to buy a new computer and keep my current system outside a 5 mile radius the case that the installation has extra sensory perception and it simply feels my old installation somewhere near-by!

Arrrrrrrrrrr….. guh!
S
SCRUFF
Jul 29, 2005
Ok then…

Just to englighten those who may be curious, and to you Rich, I did what you said, and I deleted the partition, formatted, and did a re-instal of PS CS2 trial.

Loaded the program with much anticipation, and BOOM! "Your trial period of 30 days have expired" (or something to that effect)
HOWWWWWW? My lord! Do I need to buy a new computer and keep my current system outside a 5 mile radius the case that the installation has extra sensory perception and it simply feels my old installation somewhere near-by!

Arrrrrrrrrrr….. guh!
shareaza.com
K
KatWoman
Jul 29, 2005
Ok then…

Arrrrrrrrrrr….. guh!

Well is it isn’t legal to use the trial after 30 days I guess but It is kind of sad that Adobe figured out how to outsmart the "legal users" of their stuff when you can get bootleg versions for around $30.00 completely "cracked". No expirations, no activations, no re-install issues.
H
Hecate
Jul 29, 2005
On 29 Jul 2005 09:22:39 -0700, "JollyRoger123" wrote:

Ok then…

Arrrrrrrrrrr….. guh!

IIRC, and I’m willing to be corrected, the software writes the information to a protected part of the drive root. The only way to reinstall is on a new physical disk, which is also your C drive.

Hecate – The Real One

Fashion: Buying things you don’t need, with money
you don’t have, to impress people you don’t like…
S
SCRUFF
Jul 30, 2005
"KatWoman" wrote in message
Ok then…

Arrrrrrrrrrr….. guh!

Well is it isn’t legal to use the trial after 30 days I guess but It is kind of sad that Adobe figured out how to outsmart the "legal users" of their stuff when you can get bootleg versions for around $30.00 completely "cracked". No expirations, no activations, no re-install
issues.
Or free from shareaza.com.
I don’t recommend it but it’s all there for free.
N
nospam
Jul 31, 2005
—–BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE—–
Hash: SHA1

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 08:23:56 +0100, "Rich" wrote:

That won’t work. Furthermore, reinstalling Windows, to a different partition, or moving the partition where Windows is installed with a program like Partition magic, will hose the activation on a regular install.

Some of the information is stored in the master boot record (MBR). Yo can wipe partitions, reformat and reinstall until you are blue in the face.

Writing zeros to the drive (or at least zeroing the MBR)_MIGHT_ work. I haven’t had to try it yet (knock on wood).

Windows XP doesn’t complain when a partition is moved, but CS does. This is why I think Adobe’s activation scheme is ridiculous.

It’s a little too late for that now. :-O

Of course, you can copy those PSD files to another disc before wiping your MBR. And you should. When the MBR is gone, so is the partition table, thus there goes all the data on that drive.

All for a lousy 30 day trial. Feh.

"Caitlin" wrote in message
om.au…
Hey all,

Was it sending a fingerprint of my hardware configuration over the net to adobe’s server and comparing it to my past
configuration?

—–BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE—–
Version: PGP 7.1

iQA/AwUBQuygwQIk7T39FC4ZEQIHdgCg7r1BfQ5lZJlOpO+06uVN7khvjhcA oMX0 i0MozT+YZxUopv4p/liixAC3
=qFOc
—–END PGP SIGNATURE—–

-john
wide-open at throttle dot info
N
nospam
Jul 31, 2005
—–BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE—–
Hash: SHA1

Ok then…

You need to wipe the MBR. Adobe puts pointers in the MBR to a hash generated by the installer, which varies whenever the user farts crosswise. Should this happen, the reinstall fails to activate.

See my previous post to this thread.

—–BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE—–
Version: PGP 7.1

iQA/AwUBQuyhyQIk7T39FC4ZEQJt0gCeKWEN7G+gYaW1OxwX/yUBfWHuZXIA n2v0 sqgjJcuoZZn7IMjWwxmvFVpq
=jsLb
—–END PGP SIGNATURE—–

-john
wide-open at throttle dot info
N
noone
Jul 31, 2005
In article ,
says…

Ok then…

Arrrrrrrrrrr….. guh!

IIRC, and I’m willing to be corrected, the software writes the information to a protected part of the drive root. The only way to reinstall is on a new physical disk, which is also your C drive.

Hecate – The Real One

Let’s assume that the OP was telling it "like it is," and is really a pro, who is currently out of work, and is a legit Adobe user, who will one day part with his $ (or whatever) to upgrade.

Then, it would seem that a low-level format of the disk, then fdisk, format, should re-write everything. Don’t know what is required for SATA/ATA disks, but SCSI can be low-level re-formated from the BIOS on the controler card. Old, MSMs could be low-level re-formated via utility on a boot floppy.

OTOH, I’d go into hock with the in-laws and just get the upgrade, as having to do a low-level re-format every 30 days would be more than I could handle.

Heck, I balk at having to do a re-install on some of my plug-ins whenever I upgrade PS. Most are just copy to appropriate folder, but some require a re- install from CD, and re-entry of a 5000 digit S/N, which has to be found, if I forgot to write it to the CD case… I guess that just shows how blatantly lazy I am.

Hunt
H
Hecate
Jul 31, 2005
On 31 Jul 2005 20:36:47 GMT, (Hunt) wrote:

Heck, I balk at having to do a re-install on some of my plug-ins whenever I upgrade PS. Most are just copy to appropriate folder, but some require a re- install from CD, and re-entry of a 5000 digit S/N, which has to be found, if I forgot to write it to the CD case… I guess that just shows how blatantly lazy I am.
I’d call it being economical with your time 😉

Hecate – The Real One

S
SCRUFF
Aug 1, 2005
How on God’s earth is all that worth the effort?

"Hunt" wrote in message
In article ,

says…

Ok then…

Arrrrrrrrrrr….. guh!

Hecate – The Real One

Let’s assume that the OP was telling it "like it is," and is really a pro,
who
is currently out of work, and is a legit Adobe user, who will one day part with his $ (or whatever) to upgrade.

Then, it would seem that a low-level format of the disk, then fdisk,
format,
should re-write everything. Don’t know what is required for SATA/ATA
disks,
but SCSI can be low-level re-formated from the BIOS on the controler card. Old, MSMs could be low-level re-formated via utility on a boot floppy.
OTOH, I’d go into hock with the in-laws and just get the upgrade, as
having to
do a low-level re-format every 30 days would be more than I could handle.
Heck, I balk at having to do a re-install on some of my plug-ins whenever
I
upgrade PS. Most are just copy to appropriate folder, but some require a
re-
install from CD, and re-entry of a 5000 digit S/N, which has to be found,
if I
forgot to write it to the CD case… I guess that just shows how blatantly lazy I am.

Hunt
N
noone
Aug 1, 2005
In article <39e87$42ed8554$453ddb3d$ says…
How on God’s earth is all that worth the effort?

[SNIP]

It is not, at least in my case. I’d take out a second mortgage, before I’d do this once! Actually, that was my point. I only commented on a possible way, should one be so inclined, which I am definitely not. However, the one aspect that I did not have experience with, was the low-level formating of SATA/ATA, but assume that OnTrack, or others, have the utilities, maybe on bootable CD’s. As all my HDDs have been SCSI-x for the last few decades, I have not looked into SATA/ATA.

Hunt
H
Hecate
Aug 1, 2005
On 1 Aug 2005 14:32:00 GMT, (Hunt) wrote:

As all my HDDs have been SCSI-x for the last few decades, I have not looked into SATA/ATA.
You should, it’ll save you a lot of money 🙂

Hecate – The Real One

N
noone
Aug 2, 2005
In article ,
says…

As all my HDDs have been SCSI-x for the last few decades, I have not looked into SATA/ATA.

Hecate – The Real One

Matter-of-fact, I’m starting to plan my next workstation, and will probably go with 4 SATA 400GB’s in a RAID-0 array. I still may use my M-320 SCSI (non- RAID) disks and controller for image library. Also, that way I can power up all of my legacy SCSI peripherals, though there seem to be fewer of those, as USB/Firewire stuff just keeps replacing it. But, you never know when you’ll need to read a SyQuest 44MB disk, for that one "special" client… :-}

Hunt

PS with SATA/ATA, what utility would you use to low-level format? Going back into the original post, on that one.
S
Stephan
Aug 2, 2005
JollyRoger123 wrote:
Ok then…

You said you install the trial version from a CD.
What if the download carries a time stamp? Have you tried a newer download? Sounds like a logical explanation to me. The other one would be the witting of a file on a protected sector of your drive. I am not sure how it works but I do have a drive with a very old GoBack file resistant to any level of formating.

Stephan
H
Hecate
Aug 2, 2005
On 2 Aug 2005 03:15:42 GMT, (Hunt) wrote:

In article ,
says…

Matter-of-fact, I’m starting to plan my next workstation, and will probably go with 4 SATA 400GB’s in a RAID-0 array. I still may use my M-320 SCSI (non- RAID) disks and controller for image library. Also, that way I can power up all of my legacy SCSI peripherals, though there seem to be fewer of those, as USB/Firewire stuff just keeps replacing it. But, you never know when you’ll need to read a SyQuest 44MB disk, for that one "special" client… :-}
Hunt

PS with SATA/ATA, what utility would you use to low-level format? Going back into the original post, on that one.

I use the Acronis set of tools (the same people that produce True Image (which is better than either Ghost or Drive Image, IMHO). The disk software is called Acronis Drive Cleaner and you can see it at:

http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/products/drivecleanser/

Hecate – The Real One

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections