M
Posted By
mogur2
Jul 20, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My new system has an Athlon dual processor CPU. Is there anything special that I should do with the preferences in PSCS2?

Thanks

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

K
KatWoman
Jul 20, 2005
"mogur2" wrote in message
My new system has an Athlon dual processor CPU. Is there anything special that I should
do with the preferences in PSCS2?

Thanks
The chip is the speed of the processor no need to set up anything in PS. Dual processing and hyper thread just means your comp can do more than one program at a time wihtout suffering slowdowns. Someone on here posted an excellent test not to many days ago.
what you have to set in preferences is your SCRATCH disks. the more space PS can use the better.
So it is better to have more than one hard drive to run PS.

KW

from his post on:
comp.graphics.apps.Photoshop JUL 17

This is the definitive test for Photoshop using Hyper. Well, it is for me. Of course, I recommend that you do your own testing on your own system for the way that you work in Photoshop.

Because I couldn’t find any hard numbers to support a lot of claims, I just ran my own tests to see if Photoshop ran faster with HT on or off. These tests were run on my home-built computer. The motherboard is Intel D865GBF. The processor it Intel P4 3.2 GHz Prescott – and HT, of course. I have 2 GB of memory in 512 KB chunks of DDR400 using Dual Channel Mode. This is Corsair CL 2.5 memory bought in pair, but not the expensive Dual Channel tested stuff. I have a 120 GB Seagate (7200 rpm) as my system drive and second Scratch Disc for Photoshop. I use a Western Digital Raptor 36.7 GB 10,000 rpm drive for Window XP Pro’s Pagefile AND for Photoshop’s first Scratch Disc. Both HDs are connected by SATA 150.

I still use Photoshop CS. I haven’t had a compelling reason to upgrade yet. I’m also waiting for that first bug fix release; then I’ll upgrade regardless. I am using the > 1 GB plugin from Adobe.

My primary test was an action that included almost all the steps that I use in my pro wedding photography business. This is somewhat my workflow and a bit more. i.e. I never do all of this on any one picture. I do use all of this on some pictures. I didn’t include ACR in this because that is usually interactive for me. My sharpening tool is Focus Magic and it only works interactively. Here is a high level summary of my action; default setting unless otherwise indicated:

Convert to RGB
Flatten Image
Run CurveMeister 2.0 – loading a setting
Create a Hue/Sat adjustment layer – set Saturation at 20% – Merge Down Run Noise Ninja – using automatic noise profile
Run PTLens – this calls pano12.dll
Shadow/Highlights
Convert to 8 bit
Run digital background filters – Sprayed Strokes, Spatter, Lighting Effects (not quite like I do backgrounds)
Save As – JPEG 2000 lossless – in different folder
Convert to B&W – using an action that does the 2 adjustment layers method (See Dr. Brown)
Convert to Duotone – Tritone in my loaded setting
Save As – PSD
Close

Well, that’s what’s important to me. You are free to do what’s important to you. Of course, the filters are the big time eaters in this or any action. Focus Magic can take longer than any of these – if a lot of sharpening is needed. I doubt it would changed much though.

I also ran Contact Sheet II. I put 4 on a page, but that didn’t take very long to run. I then ran Dr. Brown’s Image Processor 2.2 resizing and saving them all to JPEG, PSD, and TIFF with LZW.

To use a more standard test I also ran SiSoftware Sandra Lite 2005.SR2a. I ran the standard Combined Performance Index Wizard. For CPU that seems to be a combination of Dhrystone and Whetstone. It did test CPU Arithmetic, CPU Multi-Media, Memory, and Storage. I have it set to not test Network, because I don’t have a server to pound.

I did all this on nine (9) pictures. I picked a pretty good variety of pictures that I regularly do. These were a variety of file formats, color depths, color spaces, sizes, etc. The action ran for between 4 and 6 minutes for the action tests. I ran the tests multiple times, but it didn’t matter; there was no significant deviation.

I ran the tests on my computer with no other applications running with both HT on and off. I left the standard boot apps running. So, my avast! AV software and Sygate firewall were running, but not doing anything that I could see.

Since HT’s big benefit seems to be the ability to run multithreaded apps and/or multiple apps at once. I also ran all the tests with a background app running. Frankly, I don’t have any app that runs consistently. I do have Windows Media Player and iTunes. They run pretty consistently, but not hard enough for testing. So, I used SiSoftware Sandra’s Burn-In Wizard to pound the two CPU burn-in tests. I ran these as Normal Priority with the CPU level set at 33%. That was just my own gut feeling of a realistic background level. Most of the time I don’t have that much running in background, but I do get spikes higher than that too.

Since the action test is most significant to me (and probably you in this newsgroup), I’ll start with those results….

With no background application running, my computer runs 7% faster with HyperThread turn on. With the background app simulation running, my computer ran 15% faster with HT turned on. This is just the Photoshop action test.

The running of the Contact Sheet II showed no significant difference between HT on or off. Part of the reason for this may be because 9 pictures wasn’t long enough test. Ideally I should run this on many more files, but it still may not be that big of a difference. The other reason may be described below in the Sandra Memory and Storage results.

The Dr. Brown’s Image Processor test the times were longer, but still pretty short. Without a background app, there was no difference between HT on or off. With a background app running, HT gave a 10% increase. I don’t think this is very significant though.

Sandra’s Memory and Storage test results show that there is no difference between HT on or off. Since HyperThreading is a CPU utilization enhancement, it doesn’t affect the the slower technologies of memory and hard disks. So, the tests show no improvement.

Since Contact Sheet II and Dr. Brown’s Image Processor are mostly doing disk access (the slow part anyway), they shouldn’t be much affected by a CPU enhancement. They do some image resizing, but that appears to be pretty efficient and doesn’t change things enough to matter.

I did not run Sandra’s benchmarking with a background app. For one thing, it wouldn’t let me run it’s benchmark and burn-in wizards at the same time. Then again, benchmark apps do take up all the tested resources. So a background app doesn’t make much sense.

Sandra’s CPU Arithmetic benchmark is 21% faster with HT on. The CPU Multi-Media benchmark runs 34% faster with HT on.

In no test did I find that anything ran slower with HyperThreading turn on. Everything ran just as fast or faster with HT on. It seems to run just as promised; multithreaded apps and multi apps running at the same time can use efficiencies in the CPU allowed by HT.

It doesn’t seem to help IO intensive processes, but it shouldn’t either. Then again, it doesn’t hurt them either. If you have CPU intensive apps – and who doesn’t – HT can only help. Photoshop certainly seems to be improved by having HT on. My gut feeling matches this. My experience using Photoshop told me that it was most helpful when I had other applications running at the same time. Since I usually do have other apps running, it has been useful. It is good to finally have some hard numbers to support that gut feeling.

Of course, this isn’t the final, universal answer either. It is the first hard numbers that I have seen – from someone other than Intel or AMD. Don’t forget that you are welcome to change anything in my testing setup and run your own tests. I encourage you to do just that. Then post your own results in this august newsgroup.

A comforted and happy user,
Clyde
H
Hecate
Jul 20, 2005
On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 13:25:41 -0400, "KatWoman" wrote:

"mogur2" wrote in message
My new system has an Athlon dual processor CPU. Is there anything special that I should
do with the preferences in PSCS2?

Thanks
The chip is the speed of the processor no need to set up anything in PS. Dual processing and hyper thread just means your comp can do more than one program at a time wihtout suffering slowdowns. Someone on here posted an excellent test not to many days ago.

There is a *big* difference though, between dual processing and hyperthreading – the former is physical, the latter is virtual.

And the Athlon Dual is faster than the Pentium D with HT.

Hecate – The Real One

Fashion: Buying things you don’t need, with money
you don’t have, to impress people you don’t like…

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections