OT-which paper to use for printing photographs?

BL
Posted By
Bill Lamp
Jul 10, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Barry and Ming,

Barry,
Thanks for the lead. Since I posted, I ran completely out of light magenta. I did a quick inventory and ordered the 12 carts needed to bring me up to a minimum of two each. WELL over the $75 minimum for free shipping and a $2/cart savings over Epson. Now to see how fast the order arrives. today?? <hopes>

Ming,

"Is there a LARGE difference in quality between the Epson basic glossy photo and the Matt heavyweight and the premium glossy and the Luster?"

There was a large enough difference between basic glossy photo and premium glossy photo that after one try with the olde 1270, I stopped using the basic. I’m not going to even try it with my 2200.

Some pictures need a high gloss because of the subject, others benefit from a more…"textured" surface. Think a sharp edged har detail stone building against a dark blue sky vrs a gentle colored flower. But from a report I read today about enhanced matte behind glass being remarkable…, that opinion may change once the ink gets in.

My trial box of Luster arrived yesterday and I’m looking forward to trying it out. With all that ink, I’ll be doing a series of tests. From what I have read, it should work with the 2200 "inks" better than the prem. glossy with the same appearance difference compared to matte.

CUT DOWN THE PAPER????????? NO!!!!!!!!!

I use 8.5 x 11 inch for full size full resolution expected problem area "spot tests" and for small prints saving that HIGH cost 13 x 19 for the prints that deserve it. BUT, if you spoil one and catch it before much paper is used, turning it 180 degrees gives you a real nice full width area for a full width test of a large critical area.

So Thank you for the lead and I hope this helped.

Bill

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

BL
Bill Lamp
Jul 11, 2003
Ming,

I have run a test on Premimium Photoglossy, Luster, and Enhanced Matte. The subject was a "soft" picture that had a full range histogram. I changed out the black ink to match the paper. I looked at the prints both directly (naked) and under normal window glass. I don’t have any non-reflective or Museum Coated on hand. As this was only one print and reasonably typical of the subjects I work with, your results may differ. The scale is based on my opinion without an actual "measuring stick". The prints air dried over night prior to the "study".

Bronzeing direct wide angle view:
None on Enhanced Matte, present but not a problem on Luster, Present and boarderline problem on Premium Glossy. The spot "bronze" is approximately half the linear width on Luster compared to Premium Gloss.

Bronzeing direct normal view angles:
No problem with any, but the Photoglossy seems to have a faint overall haze starting to become noticeable at approximately 45 degrees off dead on view.

Bronzeing behind glass is MUCH harder to pick up.

Sharpness:
I couldn’t see a difference and no one around here has any interest in photography so I couldn’t do a blind test with another person (paired preference).

General recommendations (what I now plan on doing):
I will be using the Luster paper for all prints that might NOT end up behind glass. I will be using Enhanced Matte for all prints that WILL go behind glass. This may change as I try some other subjects with larger areas of deep dark.

I will be giving the left over Premium Photo Glossy paper away.

A side note. My first order from ITSUPPLIES arrived as rapidly as orders from Epson. I ordered Monday afternoon (Eastern time zone USA) and it arrived on Thursday.

I hope this helps in your decision making.

Bill

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections