A
Posted By
Aloha
Jun 20, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I resize a picture that I’ve opened and then do some editing, the History Brush tool becomes inoperative. This happens even after applying the Save option. Seems the only way I can use the History Brush after a resize is to save and then close and re-open the picture. Is there a setting to create/recreate a new history so I don’t have to close the file first?

Mahalo and Aloha from the Big Island of Hawaii, Gene

We are such stuff
As dreams are made on, and our little life
Is rounded with a sleep.

"The Tempest" Wm. Shakespeare

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

E
edjh
Jun 20, 2005
Aloha wrote:
When I resize a picture that I’ve opened and then do some editing, the History Brush tool becomes inoperative. This happens even after applying the Save option. Seems the only way I can use the History Brush after a resize is to save and then close and re-open the picture. Is there a setting to create/recreate a new history so I don’t have to close the file first?

Mahalo and Aloha from the Big Island of Hawaii, Gene
The Resize itself should be a History state. You have to be on a layer that existed in whatever state you choose. You can’t paint form a different sized state either, Could that be your problem?

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Comics art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html
T
Tacit
Jun 21, 2005
In article <QcGte.1356$>,
"Aloha" wrote:

The History Brush can not be used after you resize to return to a point before you resize (or rotate, or convert to another color mode, or otherwise alter the pixel color depth, orientation, or pixel size). It will work for things you do after you resize, however.

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
N
nomail
Jun 21, 2005
Aloha wrote:

It only makes sense that the History Brush doesn’t work past a resize. Suppose your original image was 2000 x 3000 pixels and you resized it to 1000 x 1500 pixels. Now you want to paint back a small part, say an area of 100 x 150 pixels. In the original image that same area was 200 x 300 pixels, so how on earth would the History Brush have to do that?

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/
A
Aloha
Jun 21, 2005
I’m fully aware of why the History Brush tool won’t work after a picture is resized. I am only asking if there is an option to create a new history memory point without having to close the file first. Under the History Tab there are various options and I was trying to see if one of these was the way to do it.

Unfortunately, as in other posts I have made (or have seen other people make) responders either do not correctly read the message or decide to respond sarcastically.

It really isn’t such a great problem to just close and re-open the file; I was just trying to learn something new.
N
nomail
Jun 21, 2005
Aloha wrote:

I’m fully aware of why the History Brush tool won’t work after a picture is resized. I am only asking if there is an option to create a new history memory point without having to close the file first. Under the History Tab there are various options and I was trying to see if one of these was the way to do it.

The history brush does not become inoperative, at least it shouldn’t. If you select any step AFTER the resizing step, you can use that step with the history brush. No need to save and/or reopen the file.

Unfortunately, as in other posts I have made (or have seen other people make) responders either do not correctly read the message or decide to respond sarcastically.

Nobody was sarcastic. If your message wasn’t clear and as a result you got an answer you didn’t like, perhaps you should have asked your question more clearly rather than blaming the people who respond?

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/
A
Aloha
Jun 21, 2005
This was my original post:

‘Is there a setting to create/recreate a new history so I don’t have to close the file
first?"

That seems pretty clear to me.

Your response was:
"so how on earth would the History Brush have to do that?"

It seemed sarcastic to me, but I apologize if I misread it.

However, I still believe many responses on bulletin boards can be sarcastic.
N
nomail
Jun 22, 2005
Aloha wrote:

This was my original post:

‘Is there a setting to create/recreate a new history so I don’t have to close the file first?"

That seems pretty clear to me.

It’s unclear because it suggests that the history brush remains inoperative as long as you do not close the file. That is simply not true. You can use the history brush normally, under one condition:

The history brush is inoperative for any step BEFORE AND INCLUDING the resizing, for the reason I explained. As soon as you make one more step AFTER the resizing, you can use the history brush again. You do have to make one more step first, otherwise there is no history after the resizing and if there is no history, the history brush obviously doesn’t work. So perhaps you simply did not yet make that one more step???

Your response was:
"so how on earth would the History Brush have to do that?"
It seemed sarcastic to me, but I apologize if I misread it.

It wasn’t meant to be. What many people do not realise, is that the history brush cannot be used with a step -ANY STEP- that lies before a resize. They do understand that you cannot brush back the resize step itself, but they don’t realise that this also applies to any step before the resize step, for the same reason: The file was bigger then, so there were more pixels in the same area. Even if the step you want to brush back is something completely different, it would still mean you’re trying to paint with a higher pixel density into the smaller area.

A
Aloha
Jun 22, 2005
I understand the dynamics of how changing the picture size would make the History Brush inoperative. I am using PS7 and the brush simply does not work the way you say it should. After the resize I typically make numerous adjustments, mostly with different filters, and when I then try to use the History brush I get an invalid cursor. Under the History Tab there are various options and none seem to enable the brush. I guess there is something wrong with my program.

Thanks again, Gene
N
nomail
Jun 22, 2005
Aloha wrote:

I understand the dynamics of how changing the picture size would make the History Brush inoperative. I am using PS7 and the brush simply does not work the way you say it should. After the resize I typically make numerous adjustments, mostly with different filters, and when I then try to use the History brush I get an invalid cursor. Under the History Tab there are various options and none seem to enable the brush. I guess there is something wrong with my program.

Perhaps this is a memory problem. History steps take a lot of memory.

E
edjh
Jun 22, 2005
Aloha wrote:

Thanks again, Gene
Just to be clear,you know you have to choose a state to paint from in the History palette, right? Are you choosing a History state that is after the resize?

Comic book sketches and artwork:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/edjh.html
Comics art for sale:
http://www.sover.net/~hannigan/batsale.html
A
Aloha
Jun 22, 2005
Guess I’m going to have to admit defeat. Perhaps I am simply asking for something that is not possible.

There is enough memory available for the History Brush after numerous adjustments have been made to a newly opened document The brush works fine then. I can choose any State to work from and it works fine.

It is ONLY after a resize has been made that even though subsequent adjustments (i.e. saturation, crosshatch, etc.) have been applied the History Brush will not work.

That’s the gist of my original post…………..Should there be a way to create a fresh History State after a resize (without closing and re-opening the file) so that following adjustments can be brushed out?

Thanks for all the input.
N
nomail
Jun 23, 2005
Aloha wrote:

Guess I’m going to have to admit defeat. Perhaps I am simply asking for something that is not possible.

There is enough memory available for the History Brush after numerous adjustments have been made to a newly opened document The brush works fine then. I can choose any State to work from and it works fine.
It is ONLY after a resize has been made that even though subsequent adjustments (i.e. saturation, crosshatch, etc.) have been applied the History Brush will not work.

That’s the gist of my original post…………..Should there be a way to create a fresh History State after a resize (without closing and re-opening the file) so that following adjustments can be brushed out?

I’m afraid that the only answer is that there is something wrong with your version of Photoshop. What you describe it not the normal behavior.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections