JA
Posted By
Jigger_Allard
Jun 15, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Pardon my ignorance, but can anyone please explain to me what Printer’s want when they ask for Image Ready/Color Seperated artwork? And, how do I accomplish this using Adobe Photoshop 7 or Image Ready 7? Thank you.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

L
LenHewitt
Jun 15, 2004
Jigger,

It is VERY unusual for a printer to ask for separated artwork in this day and age.

It means sending 4 separate files, one for each process colour, or with spot colour, one for each spot ink used.

However, to successfully separate an image you need to know a lot about :

a) the system that it is being imaged on and
b) the press it is being printed on

‘Camera Ready’ is a phrase you don’t hear much nowadays, either – it dates back to the time when printing plates were made from negatives exposed in a process camera focused on a black and white print of each separation in turn.
CK
Christine_Krof_Shock
Jun 15, 2004

O.k. I’m assuming you are working with some sort of throwback here…

1. You need to find out what line screen (LPI) your file will be printed at. Double the line screen to find out what your output resolution is. Then make sure your files are close to the output resolution (usually around 300 Dpi (not ppi).

2. Once you have the resolution correct, ask if he has an icc profile for the press or device (if it’s this old he probably won’t)You will need to know dot gain (how much the dot will grow on press due to paper) and what GCR (gray replacement) value he wants you to use (generally light to medium) If it’s medium, your defaults should be fine, if not you need to go into Edit>Color Settings and set up a custom CMYK.

3. Convert file to CMYK after you have set up custom CMYK.

4.You can create separations by going into the channels palette options and choosing split channels. This will give you 4 separate documents based on the four color channels (C, M, Y, K). Save each as an individual file.

5. If you are outputting to paper (Camera Ready) Have the 4 separate files printed out on a linotronic device.(His pre-press department should be able to handle or take to a service provider-he should be able to recommend)

6. If outputting film take 4 files to service provider who does film output (again printer can recommend)

See those old skills come in handy every now and then (and yes…I dated Gutenberg!)
L
LenHewitt
Jun 16, 2004
Christine,

(and yes…I dated Gutenberg!)<<

I think that is who must be printing the O/P’s job <g>

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections