J
Posted By
Jim Nazaruk
Jun 18, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am working on a large image I want to put on a web page. The image has a rather large drop shadow area in it. When I put the image in the page and view it, it bands terribly. I have tried changing various settings over and over, but can’t seem to control the banding.

Would anyone mind giving me some hints as to how to control this banding? I’d appreciate it.

Jim

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

N
NIK
Jun 18, 2005
Have you save it as a giff file.

NIK

"Jim Nazaruk" wrote in message
I am working on a large image I want to put on a web page. The image has a rather large drop shadow area in it. When I put the image in the page and view it, it bands terribly. I have tried changing various settings over and over, but can’t seem to control the banding.

Would anyone mind giving me some hints as to how to control this banding? I’d appreciate it.

Jim

H
Hecate
Jun 18, 2005
On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 16:56:19 GMT, "Jim Nazaruk" wrote:

Put a gradient across the shadow then add noise.

Hecate – The Real One

Fashion: Buying things you don’t need, with money
you don’t have, to impress people you don’t like…
FN
Flo Nelson
Jun 19, 2005
Just an addition to Hecate’s suggestion – separate the shadow from the image first (right-click on the effect and choose create layer).

Flo

Jim

J
Jim Nazaruk
Jun 19, 2005
I want to thank you folks for giving me some pointers. I really appreciate it. I have learned PhotoShop by the "trial and error" method and while I am proud that I can do some neat things in the program, I’ll be the first to admit I’ve got a long way to go to be as proficient in it as most of you are. I also appreciate that there is a place like this to go to find helpful information and that folks like you are kind enough to share your knowledge with those of us that need help.

Now maybe I can quit banging my head against the wall! ;o)

Jim

J
Jim Nazaruk
Jun 19, 2005

Jim

Hi everyone,

I didn’t realise that top-posting is an improper method of replying to a post until I looked at "Need Some Help With Actions", posted by Just Me on 6/8. I really got an education on posting etiquette when replying to newsgroups! LOL Hope the poor guy got an answer….

Sorry!
Jim
T
Tacit
Jun 19, 2005
In article ,
Hecate wrote:

Won’t help in this case; from his followup post in
comp.graphics.apps.photoshop, it’s apparent that the banding he is seeing is the result of saving the image as GIF rather than JPEG.

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
H
Hecate
Jun 19, 2005
On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 19:10:34 GMT, tacit wrote:

In article ,
Hecate wrote:

Won’t help in this case; from his followup post in
comp.graphics.apps.photoshop, it’s apparent that the banding he is seeing is the result of saving the image as GIF rather than JPEG.

Right.

Answer is don’t use gif then 😉

Hecate – The Real One

H
Hecate
Jun 19, 2005
On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 06:16:37 GMT, "Jim Nazaruk" wrote:

Jim

Hi everyone,

I didn’t realise that top-posting is an improper method of replying to a post until I looked at "Need Some Help With Actions", posted by Just Me on 6/8. I really got an education on posting etiquette when replying to newsgroups! LOL Hope the poor guy got an answer….

Sorry!
Jim
<g. It’s just that if you’re reply to several points you have to keep scrolling up and down unless you put the answers directly under the points. 🙂

Hecate – The Real One

J
Jim Nazaruk
Jun 24, 2005

Jim

For what it’s worth, I solved the problem by shortening the distance of the drop shadow. I was trying to avoid changing anything in the image since the guy I’m doing this for can be a real pain in the ***, and he did the image.

Once again, thanks for the input. It really helps to get a clue to a new direction to take when you have a problem that stumps you!

Jim
T
Tacit
Jun 24, 2005
In article <msVue.10677$>,
"Jim Nazaruk" wrote:

For what it’s worth, I solved the problem by shortening the distance of the drop shadow. I was trying to avoid changing anything in the image since the guy I’m doing this for can be a real pain in the ***, and he did the image.

Out of curiosity, is there a reason you did not simply choose to save it as a JPEG rather than a GIF?

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections