Posted By
drjchamberlain
Jun 15, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Dear members:

I am interested in your opinions on the differences between CCD and CMOS sensors for SLR digital cameras. Which one is the best ? Which provides the best image quality, color fidelity and reproduction, greater color space or color gamut, … ?

I am also interested in reading reviews on published in either print journals/photo magazines or online publications. Are there any reviews you would recommend ?

Thank you in advance and best regards to all.

Dr. Joseph Chamberlain, D.D.S.
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

H
Hecate
Jun 15, 2005
On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 04:00:54 GMT, "Joseph Chamberlain, DDS" wrote:

Dear members:

I am interested in your opinions on the differences between CCD and CMOS sensors for SLR digital cameras. Which one is the best ? Which provides the best image quality, color fidelity and reproduction, greater color space or color gamut, … ?

Ask a Canon user and they’ll say CMOS. As any other camera user and they’ll say CCD. Why? Because Canon use CMOS sensors and everybody else uses CCD. IMHO, the best digital camera on the market is the Canon EOS 1Ds II (CMOS). But the new Nikon D2x is getting pretty close (CCD).

In other words, read the reviews and if you get the chance borrow/rent one of each and see for yourself.

I am also interested in reading reviews on published in either print journals/photo magazines or online publications. Are there any reviews you would recommend ?

Can’t really help as I’m in the UK.

Hecate – The Real One

Fashion: Buying things you don’t need, with money
you don’t have, to impress people you don’t like…
M
mono
Jun 16, 2005
Hecate wrote:
Ask a Canon user and they’ll say CMOS. As any other camera user and they’ll say CCD. Why? Because Canon use CMOS sensors and everybody else uses CCD. IMHO, the best digital camera on the market is the Canon EOS 1Ds II (CMOS). But the new Nikon D2x is getting pretty close (CCD).

The D2X might be getting closer than you think. It too has a CMOS sensor.

JC. For reviews of all the "top" DSLRs whether CCD or CMOS you might want to start at www.dpreview.com where you’ll find specifications, opinion, sample images and comparisons. Plus enough forum debate to last a lifetime.

My opinion. My D70 has a CCD sensor, would it give better pictures if it had a CMOS sensor like its 300D/350D Canon equivalent? No. On the other hand would the 300D/350D give inferior pics than the D70? Again No.

Go with the camera or system that gives you the results you like. It’s gnat whisker territory as regards the difference between all these models.

Brian
(the other one)
N
nomail
Jun 16, 2005
Hecate wrote:

The Nikon D2X is CMOS as well, but digital camera backs usually are CCD. You can’t say which system is the best. It all depends on the manufacturer of a particular CCD or CMOS chip. in the past CMOS was considered inferior due to higher noise, but Canon has proved beyond any doubt that this is no longer the case.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/
H
Hecate
Jun 16, 2005
On 16 Jun 2005 00:08:13 -0700, "mono" wrote:

Hecate wrote:

The D2X might be getting closer than you think. It too has a CMOS sensor.

Well, pretty close to me means you can’t tell much difference most of the time 😉

Go with the camera or system that gives you the results you like. It’s gnat whisker territory as regards the difference between all these models.
Yes, that’s why I suggested he tries them out.

Hecate – The Real One

H
Hecate
Jun 16, 2005
On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 12:55:31 +0200, (Johan W.
Elzenga) wrote:

Hecate wrote:

The Nikon D2X is CMOS as well, but digital camera backs usually are CCD. You can’t say which system is the best. It all depends on the manufacturer of a particular CCD or CMOS chip. in the past CMOS was considered inferior due to higher noise, but Canon has proved beyond any doubt that this is no longer the case.

Thanks. I didn’t realise Nikon had moved to CMOS as well.

And, of course, I agree 🙂

Hecate – The Real One

N
nomail
Jun 17, 2005
Hecate wrote:

Thanks. I didn’t realise Nikon had moved to CMOS as well.

Only for the D2X for now. The D2H has a proprietary Nikon chip, based on CMOS design, but the D100, D70s and D50 are still CCD.

Johan W. Elzenga johan<<at>>johanfoto.nl Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections