Posted By
Chalky
Jun 14, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

I took some shots (Which can’t be replicated) with the ISO set at 200 instead of my intended 100 setting.

The pictures are OK but lack a bit of brightness and colour saturation. I know I can adjust each picture individually to improve it but my question is:

Is there a recognised procedure (Formula) for adjusting images to replicate the same pictures taken with a different ISO setting? I’m using CS2

Thanks!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

FN
Flo Nelson
Jun 14, 2005
"Chalky" wrote in message
Hi,

I took some shots (Which can’t be replicated) with the ISO set at 200 instead of my intended 100 setting.

The pictures are OK but lack a bit of brightness and colour saturation. I know I can adjust each picture individually to improve it but my question is:

Is there a recognised procedure (Formula) for adjusting images to replicate the same pictures taken with a different ISO setting? I’m using CS2

Thanks!

You’d probably have good luck with manually adjusting one of your pictures and recording your actions and then batch run the action on all the other photos. If all of them have the same problem, the same adjustments will generally work. You could put a pause in at the end of the action if you want to check them for other problems.

Flo

SW
Steven Wandy
Jun 14, 2005

The pictures are OK but lack a bit of brightness and colour saturation.

Do you really feel that the change from ISP 100 to 200 made these problems? I have had many different digital cameras over the years (10 and counting) and
I can’t remember seeing that much of a difference between 100 and 200. (Another
question when you get to the higher ISO’s.)
Maybe it is some other setting in the camera that caused this.
K
KatWoman
Jun 14, 2005
"Steven Wandy" wrote in message

Do you really feel that the change from ISP 100 to 200 made these problems?
I have had many different digital cameras over the years (10 and counting) and
"Do you really feel that the change from ISP 100 to 200 made these problems?"

Steven maybe you also use auto exposure and that’s why you don’t see any difference, but an ISO shift to 200 will normally give a one stop overexposure if you use the light reading you took for 100. So I suspect you have some too light pictures. if the highlights are burnt up you cannot retrieve them. Underexposed is easier to dig out. There must be some way to mathematically correct for one stop but I don’t know it. I would use curves and get what I could salvage and then run a batch as suggested.
C
Chalky
Jun 14, 2005
Guys,

Thanks for your replies – I’ll give the batch alterations a go.

Yes, there is a difference in these shots compared to a couple I took at the end of the shoot when I realised the ISO was set at 200 – the 100 setting pictures had a bit more brightness and colour straight from the camera.

Thanks!

Bill

"KatWoman" wrote in message
"Steven Wandy" wrote in message

Do you really feel that the change from ISP 100 to 200 made these problems?
I have had many different digital cameras over the years (10 and counting) and
"Do you really feel that the change from ISP 100 to 200 made these problems?"

Steven maybe you also use auto exposure and that’s why you don’t see any difference, but an ISO shift to 200 will normally give a one stop overexposure if you use the light reading you took for 100. So I suspect you have some too light pictures. if the highlights are burnt up you cannot retrieve them. Underexposed is easier to dig out. There must be some way to mathematically correct for one stop but I don’t know it. I would use curves and get what I could salvage and then run a batch as suggested.

J
JPS
Jul 28, 2005
In message <LtJre.1403983$>,
"Chalky" wrote:

Yes, there is a difference in these shots compared to a couple I took at the end of the shoot when I realised the ISO was set at 200 – the 100 setting pictures had a bit more brightness and colour straight from the camera.

That doesn’t make any sense at all. If you used auto-exposure, they should be the same brightness, unless the camera didn’t have the necessary faster shutter speed, or smaller aperture, in shich case the images would be too *bright*. Same for manual exposure; if you had the camera set to ISO 200 and metered for 100, the images would be too *bright*.

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy
<<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections