Posted By
Zul B
May 31, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

I’ve edited a few photos using Photographic Edges. Looks great however those effects are pretty low rez. When I try to print a larger photo say 8X10 the edges created with that plug-in are pixelated. Wandering if there is a way to overcome that or if there is a better plug-in available for that. (I like the darkroom and acid wash type of edges)

tia

-z

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

W
whizwhizwhizwhizwhiz
May 31, 2005
The edges used by Photographic Edges are just JPG files. It should be possible to find the edge you want to use, change the extension to JPG, load it in to Photoshop, resize it up to the size you need, save it back as a high quality JPG, change the extension back and then load it up in to Photographic edges to use.

I suspect they try to keep the edges medium to low resolution so that they can be placed on as few discs as possible. Personally, I would like to see them offered as high resolution and on DVD’s so that the quality is better.

If the above doesn’t work, you can try Extension PhotoFrame. It too uses JPG’s for the edge files and it should allow you to do the above and then use it.

If that doesn’t work, then you can do the edging manually.

Load the edge file and resize it to make the size and resolution of your image.

Copy the edge image to a new channel in your photo image document.

With the RGB channel selected load the new channel as a selection (the option is on the selection menu).

Now press the delete key and see what happens. If the middle part of your image is deleted instead of the edge, undo the deletion and invest the mask (the option is on the selection menu) and then press the delete key again.

You don’t have to have your photo image on a layer, if you do the background becomes transparent and you can add a drop shadow to it using the layer effects. If you delete with the image being the background layer the area you delete will be filled with the background color (defaults to black, see the bottom of the tool box to change it, you want the back square, just click it and choose a color.).

I hope this helps

"Zul B" wrote in message
Hi,

I’ve edited a few photos using Photographic Edges. Looks great however those effects are pretty low rez. When I try to print a larger photo say 8X10 the edges created with that plug-in are pixelated. Wandering if there is a way to overcome that or if there is a better plug-in available for that. (I like the darkroom and acid wash type of edges)
tia

-z
ZB
Zul B
May 31, 2005
Thanks so much for all this explanation. I will give that a try definitely.

In article <bjSme.2613$>,
says…
The edges used by Photographic Edges are just JPG files. It should be possible to find the edge you want to use, change the extension to JPG, load it in to Photoshop, resize it up to the size you need, save it back as a high quality JPG, change the extension back and then load it up in to Photographic edges to use.

I suspect they try to keep the edges medium to low resolution so that they can be placed on as few discs as possible. Personally, I would like to see them offered as high resolution and on DVD’s so that the quality is better.
If the above doesn’t work, you can try Extension PhotoFrame. It too uses JPG’s for the edge files and it should allow you to do the above and then use it.

With the RGB channel selected load the new channel as a selection (the option is on the selection menu).

Now press the delete key and see what happens. If the middle part of your image is deleted instead of the edge, undo the deletion and invest the mask (the option is on the selection menu) and then press the delete key again.
You don’t have to have your photo image on a layer, if you do the background becomes transparent and you can add a drop shadow to it using the layer effects. If you delete with the image being the background layer the area you delete will be filled with the background color (defaults to black, see the bottom of the tool box to change it, you want the back square, just click it and choose a color.).

I hope this helps

"Zul B" wrote in message
Hi,

tia
W
whizwhizwhizwhizwhiz
May 31, 2005
Glad to help. If you have any other questions once you get started on it post them here. I don’t have Photographic Edges install any more by I have used it.

"Zul B" wrote in message
Thanks so much for all this explanation. I will give that a try definitely.

In article <bjSme.2613$>,
says…
The edges used by Photographic Edges are just JPG files. It should be possible to find the edge you want to use, change the extension to JPG, load
it in to Photoshop, resize it up to the size you need, save it back as a high quality JPG, change the extension back and then load it up in to Photographic edges to use.

I suspect they try to keep the edges medium to low resolution so that they
can be placed on as few discs as possible. Personally, I would like to see
them offered as high resolution and on DVD’s so that the quality is better.

Now press the delete key and see what happens. If the middle part of your image is deleted instead of the edge, undo the deletion and invest the mask
(the option is on the selection menu) and then press the delete key again.

You don’t have to have your photo image on a layer, if you do the background
becomes transparent and you can add a drop shadow to it using the layer effects. If you delete with the image being the background layer the area you delete will be filled with the background color (defaults to black, see
the bottom of the tool box to change it, you want the back square, just click it and choose a color.).

I hope this helps

"Zul B" wrote in message
Hi,

I’ve edited a few photos using Photographic Edges. Looks great however those effects are pretty low rez. When I try to print a larger photo say
8X10 the edges created with that plug-in are pixelated. Wandering if there is a way to overcome that or if there is a better plug-in available for that. (I like the darkroom and acid wash type of edges)
tia
CF
Craig Flory
Jun 1, 2005
I use edges all the time. I open the low res files and convert them to 250 ppi to match my professional images. I also change the size to match my image. I drag it on top and use Edit > Transform > Scale to make it fit my image as to where I want to crop the edges. I then click Select > Load Selection. Switching to my image layer , I click delete on the keyboard and I have that edge. Once that is done you throw away the greyscale edge in the trash bin. They are not supposed to be sharp. I want them to have a softness to them with the way I use them. I put together composites and add creative edges before dragging them onto the final background.

Craig Flory

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections