Posted By
Neil Hindry
May 19, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I wonder if you can help me.

I have a few old photographs that I want to repair and they have a very heavy red hue.

What is the easiest way to get rid of the heavy red hue that is spoiling the photographs and make them look normal & natural again? For information I am using PhotoShop 7.

I hope you are able to help me.

I appreciate any help or information given..

Thanks!

Neil

———————————————————— ————- FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
Download Spam Inspector, the Award Winning Anti-Spam Filter http://mail.giantcompany.com

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

SS
Scott Schwartz
May 19, 2005
You could try the auto color function. After that just adjusting the hue and saturation should help too.

"Neil Hindry" wrote in message

I have a few old photographs that I want to repair and they have a very heavy red hue.

What is the easiest way to get rid of the heavy red hue that is spoiling the
photographs and make them look normal & natural again? For information I am using PhotoShop 7.

Thanks!

Neil

———————————————————— ————- FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
Download Spam Inspector, the Award Winning Anti-Spam Filter http://mail.giantcompany.com

B
bamsen
May 19, 2005
I have had a fair bit af success by using levels adjustments and adjusted each channel to include only used pixels.

On Thu, 19 May 2005 15:00:32 +0200, Scott Schwartz
wrote:
You could try the auto color function. After that just adjusting the hue and
saturation should help too.

What is the easiest way to get rid of the heavy red hue that is spoiling the
photographs and make them look normal & natural again? For information I am using PhotoShop 7.

Thanks!

Neil

Bamsen
R
RBB
May 19, 2005
if is only the red, you also can use adjust/selective color, then move the magenta slider and the red goes away

"Neil Hindry" escribi
H
Hecate
May 19, 2005
On Thu, 19 May 2005 13:22:31 +0100, "Neil Hindry" wrote:

What is the easiest way to get rid of the heavy red hue that is spoiling the photographs and make them look normal & natural again? For information I am using PhotoShop 7.

Thanks!

Neil

Use channels. You can select the red channel and work on that, or increase the green channel and reduce the red channel.

Hecate – The Real One

Fashion: Buying things you don’t need, with money
you don’t have, to impress people you don’t like…
C
Corey
May 19, 2005
I repaired a similar photo for someone a while back…see http://tinyurl.com/c44m6 (see the second image – the wedding picture)

Here’s what I did for that image:

The first thing I did was make a copy of the layer to play with, keeping the original one for comparison. Then I used Photoshop’s Auto Levels, Auto Contrast and Auto Color controls under Image > Adjustments. This gave be a better picture, but it was still far too red.

So I used Image >Adjustments > Color Balance to try to get a good skin color. But I immediately noticed that there was a significant difference between their skin tones, possibly due to lighting. So I decided to correct them individually.

I grabbed the lasso tool and made a selection around her face, following the edges, feathered it about 2 or 3 pixels and copied and pasted it into a new layer. I then adjusted the Color Balance for a good skin tone just for her face. But I noticed that there were some bright reflections on her forehead and cheeks that were sort of bluish. So I made feathered selections around these areas , holding SHFT to add each area to my overall selection. Once my selection was complete, I feathered it 1.2 pixels. I used the Color Balance to make it match the surrounding skin, adding a tiny bit of Gaussian Blur and playing with Contrast Brightness all while still having the selection.

Then I made a copy of this layer and Gaussian Blurred the whole thing. This is a great way to make a woman’s skin look smoother! I reduced the opacity of this blurred face to about 75%. Then I grabbed my eraser tool, using a soft edged brush at about 30% opacity and began erasing around her eyes, eyebrows, lips, teeth and nose lines to add back in some sharpness from below. Multiple swipes with the eraser allowed more and more of the layer beneath to show through, giving a nice blend between the two layers.

I repeated this process for his face and also for his hair, making separate selections, copying and pasting and adjusting the color for each completely independent from the rest of the picture. And again for their hands. Then I noticed their eyes were still too red so I made selections around them, feathered about 0.4 pixels and adjusted the colors to what was just an educated guess.

In the version that is attached to this e-mail, I topped it all off by desaturating his suit. I used the Sponge Tool set to Desaturate with a value of about 70%. This brushed the color right out his suit. It worked so well I applied a moderate amount to her gown. Then I zoomed in on the basket and colored the leaves that should be green again by making a selection, copying and pasting and adjusting the Color Balance. I then erased parts that didn’t look right letting the layer beneath show through. Same thing with the flower in his lapel.

I was just ready to send off the final version when I decided to desaturate the background between them. Same procedure.

I hope this helps!

Peadge 🙂

"Morten A. Steien" wrote in message
I have had a fair bit af success by using levels adjustments and adjusted each channel to include only used pixels.

On Thu, 19 May 2005 15:00:32 +0200, Scott Schwartz
wrote:
You could try the auto color function. After that just adjusting the hue and
saturation should help too.

What is the easiest way to get rid of the heavy red hue that is
spoiling
the

Thanks!

Neil

Bamsen
B
birdman
May 20, 2005
There are some plug-ins that do a fairly good job at this if you cannot find a way to do it with Photoshop yourself.
I have a plug-in that is not intended for this purpose but, for reasons I cannot explain, does an amazing job of correcting colors in old photos (in all honesty I do not find it useful for normal photos): Pictographics iCorrect Edit Lab. In fact just last night my wife handed me a picture from her childhood shifted to the red. The result is not perfect but looks kind of like a faded, hand tinted photo, actually very nostalgic.
MR
Mike Russell
May 24, 2005
Neil Hindry wrote:

Convert to Lab mode and move one or the other end point of the a channel horizontally toward the center.

Post one of your images to the web and let some of us have a crack at it. —
Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections