Posted By
Craig Hunter
Jul 10, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,

Anyone got any idea when Photoshop 8 might be ready? I read that one of the new features will be nested layer sets.. which will be such a great help.

Regards,
Craig Hunter

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

CW
Colin Walls
Aug 5, 2003
Adobe have not announced anything.
RO
Robert Oliver
Aug 5, 2003
Beta testers would not be allowed to tell us anything–they are under an NDA.

As to Photoshop 8’s arrival. Best guess would be this Fall, but that’s only an educated guess. Most major Adobe apps have a 1.5 year cycle between updates.
PC
Pierre Courtejoie
Aug 5, 2003
A good time to officially launch a product would be at an huge graphic-related fair…
K
knielsen
Aug 5, 2003
Photoshop will be here in the next three years for sure. Why not buy 7 now, update to 7.0.1 and then upgrade to 8 in a year or so with all that v.7 experience under your belt?
LH
Lawrence Hudetz
Aug 5, 2003
Because 8 MAY be a true upgrade.
DM
dave milbut
Aug 5, 2003
if you buy 7 now, changes are you’ll get 7.01. but I agree with larry, if dave L. has no problem waiting, i’d bet ps8’ll be along sooner rather than later.
W
whozit
Aug 5, 2003
If you’re not an upgrade junkie, wait. The differences from 6 to 7 aren’t all that fantastic, and you will get those PLUS when ‘X’ is released…(Is PS ‘X’ different from ‘8’?)
R
Roberto
Aug 5, 2003
No book publishers always replace the version number with an X for a book related to an unannounced product. Unless Adobe does something stupid and drops the numbers and goes to something like Photoshop XP X is 8.

R
JW
John Waller
Aug 5, 2003
Unless Adobe does something stupid and
drops the numbers and goes to something like Photoshop XP.

Well it was good enough for Microsoft and Macromedia… 😉

At least by using names, rather than predictable numbering schemes, it’s a little more difficult for the rumour mill to search the web for info e.g. do I search for "Photoshop 8" or "Photoshop ???" in Google?

Regards

John Waller
LH
Lawrence Hudetz
Aug 8, 2003
Is that for real, Len?

Oh, I see. Wait until it is announced. So, why buy Seven then? Is there a long delivery time between announcement and delivery?
DM
Don McCahill
Aug 8, 2003
Lawrence … it could be as much as three months. Adobe don’t preannounce too far in advance, but as soon as they do, they offer the free updates, to prevent sales for dying during the interval.

So it is not so important not to buy the day before the new version comes out, as to make sure you don’t buy the day before the new version is announced.

(And if Robert is right in guessing this fall for a release, then an announcement could happen soon … perhaps at the Fall Comdex or Seybold shows?)
P
Phosphor
Aug 8, 2003
I think this would be an entertaining and interesting topic, sort of like walking down "memory lane…"

I’m new to Photoshop at version 7. What was the most "orgasmic" (non-sexual connotation) added feature for you between versions. The one that you were SO EXCITED about.

Patty
C
Cheesefood
Aug 8, 2003
Patty,

I’ll tell you one thing I was not excited about, and that’s the Desktop and Taskbar Icon. Adobe’s new look for their Icons is frustrating. I have PS, PM, ID and AI on my machine, and their icons are too similar, too busy and use the same color scheme. I get frustrated when I open the wrong program because I don’t remember what the icon was changed to.

As for PS 7, I like the new Web Photo Gallery tool. It’s much better than 6.0. The healing brush is nice, but my job doesn’t call for me to use it as much.

I like IR better in 6 than in 7. The rollover and animation pallets were much easier to work with in 6.

What is 7.0’s "money shot"? Don’t think it has one. Version 6.0, on the other hand, is the Ron Jeremy of Photoshops.
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 8, 2003
Ditto what TDO said. Healing brush, Patch Tool, Pattern Maker, File Browser (being able to run batch actions against what you select in File Browser), The Workspaces.

What they changed that I DON’T like is how the scroll wheel of the mouse now scrolls the image up and down instead of zooming – man that rots.
R
Roberto
Aug 8, 2003
There is also a Photoshop show coming up back east. I saw it advertised in an e-mail from PeachPit Press. It is later Sep. early Oct (I think) this could be a good time to announce too.

I suspect we will hear something in the next 30 to 90 days. But, that like most other things is a guess.

R
TD
Thee_DarkOverLord
Aug 8, 2003
I did upgrade just for the Healing brush Bill, but all the other extras are greatly apreciated, such as the file browser. I can set up yot keys for my mouse, and asign keys to those buttons, Guess i could do this to zoom, but Im a navigator man.
P
Phosphor
Aug 8, 2003
Hey thanks for the input guys.

Tony,

Glad to hear that you like and utilize the file browser. The teacher at school totally skipped that chapter in the book because she said it was "useless." It wasn’t until last week when I was reading Scott Kelby’s Photoshop for Digital Photographers that I "learned" that it was a feature with "value." Haven’t had time to play with it yet. Any words of wisdom, or is it pretty straight forward with no real "pitfalls" to beware of??

I think it would have been better for the teacher to have said, I don’t find it useful rather than labeling it as garbage.
You know when you’re new at something, you take your "teacher’s" words as gospel.

Patty
CW
Colin Walls
Aug 8, 2003
I observe at <http://www.photoshopworld.com/> that it’s very end of Sept. And they promise: "the first in-depth look at new Photoshop technology … amazing Photoshop effects, hilarious fun, and some really big surprises."

Soooooooo….
DM
dave milbut
Aug 8, 2003
really big surprises.

Dateline Photoship World 2003:

"Abode announced today that it is dropping support for the Macitush and Winders platforms and will be releasing the much anticipated Photship 8 as open source, GPL’d PhotoshipNix for Linix systems only."
B
Bernie
Aug 8, 2003
I dreamed that I was beta testing Photoshop 8 last night; the new features are INCREDIBLE!!!

Unfortunately, I also dreamed that I had signed an NDA so I can’t reveal anything…ARGHHH!!!

Dreams can really suck!!!
C
Cheesefood
Aug 8, 2003
Anyone have those "Vitro" shops at their mall that burn 3-D images into a block of crystal?

How long before Photoshop allows for that?
CW
Colin Walls
Aug 8, 2003
Cheese:

Haven’t you found that feature yet?
Go to the Paths pallette, hold down ALT and select Pallette Options from the pop-down menu… [Go on – try it]
P
Phosphor
Aug 8, 2003
Okay, I don’t know what Vitro is so I probably don’t "get it"–Colin, is this one of those jokes that my blonde streaks allowed me to be gullible and fall for??????

When I do what you say the palette disappears.

p.s. I had a hard time remembering if "palette" was spelled with one or two L for the photoshop kind vs. the mouth kind.
Finally came up with a "mental association" that works. An artist palette is one piece—therefore one L.
CW
Colin Walls
Aug 8, 2003
Patty – no, blondeness isn’t a requirement …

Let me talk you thru:
Get the Paths palette [however it’s spelt!] open.
Hold down ALT.
Click and hold on the menu button.
Drag down to the Palette Options entry.

Hope it’s worth it … 🙂
P
Phosphor
Aug 8, 2003
PAL-ette.

It’s your little friend.
CW
Colin Walls
Aug 8, 2003
Nice one Phos. 🙂
C
Cheesefood
Aug 8, 2003
I keep ImageReady set to Pet Wolverine.
C
Cheesefood
Aug 8, 2003
Okay, I don’t know what Vitro is so I probably don’t "get it"–Colin, is this one of those jokes that my blonde streaks allowed me to be gullible and fall for??????

No, this isn’t a joke. There’s a store in the mall by my apartment that takes a 3-D picture and then burns it into a block of plastic or crystal or something.

I can’t find the website unfortunately. It’s a pretty cool looking process, but I don’t see myself ever purchasing one.
LH
Lawrence Hudetz
Aug 9, 2003
The comment about history being weak refers to what? Is it different in 7 vs 6?
R
Roberto
Aug 9, 2003
No. By weak I mean…

1) It can’t be saved with the document for resuming work later.
2) It can’t be converted to an action.
3) You can remove a step 3 steps back and have the document update. In others words it is a linear history only and it should be non-linear. The option in options dialog for making it non-linear doesn’t work as described above.

This is what I mean by weak. I guess I Adobe didn’t think people would want these things. Now, it would require some major rewriting of Photoshop to do. Which at the time maybe why they didn’t let it do these things then too.

As far as an undo thing goes it is great. But, it isn’t all it could be…it’s weak.

R
BC
bart.cross
Aug 9, 2003
Robert: Re 3, look under ‘History Options’, select ‘Allow non-linear history’
DM
dave milbut
Aug 9, 2003
IOW, "That’s a piece of garbage" = "Duh. I’m a moron. I don’t know how to use that. I’m too lazy to learn it. So I’ll pretend I’m smart and denigrate it to you."
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 9, 2003
Exactly Dave. Steely Dan has a line in Reelin’ in the Years:

"The weekend at the college didn’t turn out like you planed,

The things that pass for knowledge I can’t understand…"
DM
dave milbut
Aug 9, 2003
<nodding>

I think it was Twain who said:

I never let my education get in the way of my learning.
LH
Lawrence Hudetz
Aug 10, 2003
I like the comment that the purpose of a good education is to know when another person is talking rot.
R
Roberto
Aug 10, 2003
ID,

That doesn’t work like you think it does. Yes, you can delete a history state out of sequence but your image doesn’t update. This was covered in a thread in the features request forum. I thought the same thing (never tried it until we started talking about) and found out that it doesn’t work like you would like. Kind of a pointless option which is why I guess it isn’t on by default.

I guess Adobe didn’t want to go the trouble of updating the image (i.e. running through the steps again) when you deleted a state out of sequence. That of course would also mean they would have to have recorded every step since the image was opened and not just the last 20 or whatever you have it set for in the preferences.

R
R
Roberto
Aug 10, 2003
Sorry, I agree with the instructor. The file Browser isn’t all that special. In fact because of its lack of features (should be more like Album) it is someting I never use. If I want thumbnails I turn that on in the Open/Save dialog box and they come up faster anyways.

But, it is there and if you like it use it.

R
Y
YrbkMgr
Aug 10, 2003
Robert,

The file browser is invaluable in running batch actions on manually selected files. If one doesn’t know how, or doesn’t like scripting, it’s as easy as pie to select images for rotation upon opening, running batch actions on them and saving them.

I guess one mans meat is another man’s poison.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections