How do I ’emboss’ e.g. "SAMPLE" on a photograph?

DE
Posted By
Dan E
May 14, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I want to put some of my photographic art up on one of my sites, and, since the art has some value, I want to make the images reasonable representations of what the untouched art looks like, but with something like "SAMPLE" embossed over the image, so that it’s not a free download for someone who likes the image. Could some kind soul point me in the right direction of how to do this with Photoshop CS (or Imageready), please?

Thanks in anticipation,

Dan E

Dan E
webbie(removethis)@preferredcountry.com

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

C
Corey
May 14, 2005
A cool way to do this is to type "SAMPLE" in a new text layer. Size the text to your desired size and add a drop shadow to the text. Then reduce the "Fill" of the text layer towards or all the way to zero. You can also play with Opacity. Both Fill and Opacity are at the top of the Layers Palette. This technique allows the image to show through while providing the annoying text to discourage downloads.

Peadge 🙂

"Dan E" <webbie(removethis)@preferredcountry.com> wrote in message
I want to put some of my photographic art up on one of my sites, and,
since
the art has some value, I want to make the images reasonable
representations
of what the untouched art looks like, but with something like "SAMPLE" embossed over the image, so that it’s not a free download for someone who likes the image. Could some kind soul point me in the right direction of how to do this with Photoshop CS (or Imageready), please?
Thanks in anticipation,

Dan E

Dan E

K
KatWoman
May 14, 2005
I use a text layer and give it a glass style (Laurie’s glass can be downloaded from Adobe exchange)
Styles can be adjusted to suit by opening the effects layers and individually changing the parameters.

I save it as an action so I can run it on batches of files (create new layer, add text, add style, flatten and save for web)

I use
H
Hecate
May 14, 2005
On Sat, 14 May 2005 11:54:01 -0500, "Dan E"
<webbie(removethis)@preferredcountry.com> wrote:

I want to put some of my photographic art up on one of my sites, and, since the art has some value, I want to make the images reasonable representations of what the untouched art looks like, but with something like "SAMPLE" embossed over the image, so that it’s not a free download for someone who likes the image. Could some kind soul point me in the right direction of how to do this with Photoshop CS (or Imageready), please?
Thanks in anticipation,

Dan E

Hi Dan, Yet another way is to open your image, then type the text that you want to show. Go to layers and Ctrl-click (Command-click on a Mac) on the type layers name. This is make the text a selection.

Now delete the text layer by dragging it to the trash can (bottom of the layers palette). No, your text hasn’t gone – well, it has, but what you now have is a selection 🙂

Now hit Ctrl-J (Command-J). This will put the area under the selection on it’s own layer. Now, go to the layer menu, select bevel and emboss. Under the style choose emboss. Increase the depth (start around 250 or so and move upwards for greater effect).

Hecate – The Real One

Fashion: Buying things you don’t need, with money
you don’t have, to impress people you don’t like…
DE
Dan E
May 15, 2005
Many thanks to all – Peadge, KatWoman and Hecate. Wonderful help – thanks again.

Dan E
"Dan E" <webbie(removethis)@preferredcountry.com> wrote in message
Thanks in anticipation,

Dan E

Dan E
N
noone
May 16, 2005
In article <IYphe.25836$>,
says…
Thanks in anticipation,

Dan E

Dan E

Hi Dan,

You have gotten some good answers to doing the "Sample" thing on these two NGs.

One additional thought, might be to X-post (cross-post) this sort of question to both NGs, so that the threads from both NGs show up below your original article. While X-posting is considered to be bad form when done over dissimilar NGs, the two main PS NGs are an example of where it benefits. Not all folk have both NGs on their news server, or monitor both. The response artilces will show in both groups if the original is X-posted to them. Also, when one does a Groups.Google search, ALL of the answers will show, if they filtered by one of the NGs. Your Subject Line Header is very good, so that someone searching for a similar "trick" might well find tons of answers to * their* question. It is far, far better than the usual, "help, I’m a newbie" SLH that too many folk use. For groups like these, it is good form to consider those who may ask the same, or similar, question for years to come. Well-done.

Just a suggestion for the future,
Hunt
DE
Dan E
May 18, 2005
Thanks, Hunt. Showing my ignorance… – what is the address of the other PS News group?

Dan E.
"Hunt" wrote in message
In article <IYphe.25836$>,
says…
I want to put some of my photographic art up on one of my sites, and, since
the art has some value, I want to make the images reasonable representations
of what the untouched art looks like, but with something like "SAMPLE" embossed over the image, so that it’s not a free download for someone who likes the image. Could some kind soul point me in the right direction of how to do this with Photoshop CS (or Imageready), please?
Thanks in anticipation,

Dan E

Dan E

Hi Dan,

You have gotten some good answers to doing the "Sample" thing on these two NGs.

One additional thought, might be to X-post (cross-post) this sort of question
to both NGs, so that the threads from both NGs show up below your original article. While X-posting is considered to be bad form when done over dissimilar NGs, the two main PS NGs are an example of where it benefits. Not
all folk have both NGs on their news server, or monitor both. The response artilces will show in both groups if the original is X-posted to them. Also,
when one does a Groups.Google search, ALL of the answers will show, if they
filtered by one of the NGs. Your Subject Line Header is very good, so that someone searching for a similar "trick" might well find tons of answers to *
their* question. It is far, far better than the usual, "help, I’m a newbie"
SLH that too many folk use. For groups like these, it is good form to consider
those who may ask the same, or similar, question for years to come. Well-done.

Just a suggestion for the future,
Hunt
N
noone
May 18, 2005
In article <LSJie.3503$>,
says…
Thanks, Hunt. Showing my ignorance… – what is the address of the other PS News group?

[SNIP]

No problem, comp.graphics.apps.photoshop. That is assuming that your news server carries it. Many folk look in on both, though not all.

Hunt
DE
Dan E
May 18, 2005
Thanks, Hunt.

Dan E
"Hunt" wrote in message
In article <LSJie.3503$>,
says…
Thanks, Hunt. Showing my ignorance… – what is the address of the other PS
News group?

[SNIP]

No problem, comp.graphics.apps.photoshop. That is assuming that your news server carries it. Many folk look in on both, though not all.
Hunt

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections