C
Posted By
coldfuzion
Jun 7, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Ok i`ve read this in many many many many tuturials using your lasso tool when u hold down shift it goes into a straight line which i`m trying to but i cant i hold shift down and it doesnt go into a straight line can you help me

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

DM
dave_milbut
Jun 7, 2004
holding shift ADDS to a selection. While using lasso, hold ALT-SHIFT to temporarily change the lasso tool to the polygon lasso tool, allowing you to pick up the mouse button, drag a straight line, and click at it’s end. Then let go of the keys to continue with regular lasso. For completeness, note that ALT by itself SUBTRACTS from a selection.
HK
Harron_K._Appleman
Jun 7, 2004
Coldfu,

Holding down the shift while using the regular lasso tool does nothing. However, if you start with the polygonal lasso tool, holding down the shift key will constrain movement to 45-degree directions.

…i cant i hold shift down…

It’s quite clear from your post that there is something wrong with your shift key.

Dave, I think the Alt key alone will temporarily change the regular lasso tool to a polygonal lasso. Adding the shift key in this case seems to do nothing.

=-= Harron =-=
P
Phosphor
Jun 7, 2004
"…i cant i hold shift down…"

"It’s quite clear from your post that there is something wrong with your shift key."

Or, you only have one arm.

Not being mean or dismissive, just conjecturting on what could be another, very real possibility.

Can you poke the shift key with a stick held in your teeth?
MC
Mary_Cohn
Jun 7, 2004
"…i cant i hold shift down…"

"It’s quite clear from your post that there is something wrong with your shift key."

I think some of the confusion over the Shift key problem may be coming from coldfuzion’s lack of punctuation. Maybe this will add some clarity…

"Ok, i`ve read this in many many many many tuturials. using your lasso tool when u hold down shift, it goes into a straight line, which i`m trying to but i can`t. i hold shift down and it doesn`t go into a straight line. can you help me?"

I know when your fingers and thoughts are flying over the keyboard, that punctuation can seem like a pain in the a**. But it really does serve a purpose.

Hate to seem like the punctuation police; just wanted to clear up some confusion.
HK
Harron_K._Appleman
Jun 7, 2004
Ah… thank you, Mary. I’m happy to know that neither Mr. Zion’s keyboard nor anatomy are challenged.

=-= Harron =-=
P
Phosphor
Jun 7, 2004
"Hate to seem like the punctuation police…"

Welcome to the club.

We are a more irascible bunch than one might first imagine.

The continuing breakdown of decent spelling, punctuation and sentence structure as exhibited on the web (and elsewhere) drives me insane.
L
LenHewitt
Jun 7, 2004
Coldfuzion,

i hold shift down and it doesnt go into a straight line<<

That’s probably because you should be holding down the ALT key not the Shift key…The lasso will then constrain to a straight line
JJ
John_Joslin
Jun 7, 2004
The continuing breakdown of decent spelling, punctuation and sentence
structure as exhibited on the web (and elsewhere) drives me insane<<

Quite agree, I was wondering about the dodgy spelling on a forum with a spell checker but I suppose posts from newsreaders don’t have that luxury.

This is off the subject of the thread, but if you want a laugh try the punctuation book "Eats, Shoots and Leaves" by Lynne Truss.

Cheers – John

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections