P
Posted By
PH
May 10, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
So we had two slides that were supposed to go on a huge 3 meter by 2,5 meter poster for a stand.

The slides had two guys in them, we brought them to the
lithographer who scanned them in at the right size (the guys are now 1,5 meter high), right resoltion (300 DPI) and
because we are out of time I asked them to make them free standing also (transparent, no background, what is the
english term).

We get the files back in TIFF. We import the files in the XPress document (which as our poster printer told us should be 25% of the end size).
And surprize……..the 1,50 meter high guys are now in
XPress just around 10 centimeters high………..we tried everything, but could not find the solution. The litographer does not have a clue either. When we scale the guys up (the really need to be 1,50 meters so in the XPress document 25% of that, 32 what centimeters) they still look good after that scaling, but I do not trust it!

Anyone here???

steg

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

H
Hecate
May 10, 2005
On Tue, 10 May 2005 20:10:27 +0200, steggy
wrote:

So we had two slides that were supposed to go on a huge 3 meter by 2,5 meter poster for a stand.

lithographer who scanned them in at the right size (the guys are now 1,5 meter high), right resoltion (300 DPI) and
because we are out of time I asked them to make them free standing also (transparent, no background, what is the
english term).

We get the files back in TIFF. We import the files in the XPress document (which as our poster printer told us should be 25% of the end size).
XPress just around 10 centimeters high………..we tried everything, but could not find the solution. The litographer does not have a clue either. When we scale the guys up (the really need to be 1,50 meters so in the XPress document 25% of that, 32 what centimeters) they still look good after that scaling, but I do not trust it!

Anyone here???

Nope, but I’d guess it’s yet another Quark f**k up. 🙂

Hecate – The Real One

Fashion: Buying things you don’t need, with money
you don’t have, to impress people you don’t like…
S
Scrufff
May 10, 2005
Uh, heh heh, she said quark!

"Hecate" wrote in message
On Tue, 10 May 2005 20:10:27 +0200, steggy
wrote:

english term).

Anyone here???

Nope, but I’d guess it’s yet another Quark f**k up. 🙂

Hecate – The Real One

Fashion: Buying things you don’t need, with money
you don’t have, to impress people you don’t like…
A
arrooke
May 11, 2005

Anyone here???

steg

It’s been a couple years since I’ve used Quark. I thought there was a size restriction on it but can’t say positively. It could have something to do with it though. In any case, I’ll side with the other 2 posts in suggesting the problem is something to do with Quark.
Usually for such large posters such high (300ppi) isn’t required. Maybe that’s factored in with your 25% scaling. What if you put it together in Illustrator (if you don’t have InDesign)?
T
Tacit
May 11, 2005
In article ,
steggy wrote:

XPress just around 10 centimeters high………..

Open the TIFF in Photoshop and look at the resolution; it sounds like the resolution is incorrect. (Many high-end drum scanners use metric units; are you sure the scans are not 300 pixels per *centimeter*?)

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
P
PH
May 11, 2005
Tacit wrote:
In article ,
steggy wrote:

XPress just around 10 centimeters high………..

Open the TIFF in Photoshop and look at the resolution; it sounds like the resolution is incorrect. (Many high-end drum scanners use metric units; are you sure the scans are not 300 pixels per *centimeter*?)

No it might sound weird, I am in a metric country (Holland) but everyone use DPI, PPI, LPI etcetera:)

But the other reply appeared to be right. We did not have time to remake the whole thing in Illustrator or InDesign (and I just plunged into this new job). It was the size. Yes I agree 300DPI is too much. But when I scaled down the
Photoshop file to a 90 centimeters, I accepted the raise of DPI, it all went well.

Maybe our XPress version (4.11) does this and the newer
versions do not, because the lithographer had no problem (using XP 5).
But it has been solved and a 150 Mb .sit file has been FTP-ed:) Thanks guys.

steg

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections