M
Posted By
morebetter
May 10, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When a skin tone is in natural light, correcting it by the numbers is fairly easy. But if the skin tone is in shade (e.g. back lit), are there any good tricks?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

CF
Craig Flory
May 10, 2005
Did you use fill flash or a reflector ? Or did you go without & ,if so, did you expose for the person or for the bright area ??? If fill flash, you should have good skin tones. If a reflector, it depends on whether it was a white, silver, gold, or combination. If you exposed with just existing light the flesh takes on the color baclance of the surroundings. If a lot of sky your image leans towards blue and if mostly foilage it leans towards green. Once we know how you exposed the image more help will be forthcoming.

Craig Flory
LI
Lorem Ipsum
May 10, 2005
"Craig Flory" wrote in message
Did you use fill flash or a reflector ?

Doncha know, Craig, that everybody thinks they can "make it up" in PS? Today the mantra is: "point, shoot, and kiss it goodbye."
K
KatWoman
May 11, 2005
you do it by numbers????
everyone is a different color!!!

wrote in message
When a skin tone is in natural light, correcting it by the numbers is fairly easy. But if the skin tone is in shade (e.g. back lit), are there any good tricks?
LI
Lorem Ipsum
May 11, 2005
All white people look alike to me.

"KatWoman" wrote in message
you do it by numbers????
everyone is a different color!!!

wrote in message

D
Dave
May 11, 2005
On Wed, 11 May 2005 14:00:06 -0500, "Lorem Ipsum" wrote:

mmm so I look like Cindy Crawford
(and you look like mugabe)

Dave
BW
Bob Williams
May 12, 2005
wrote:

Once you have the color you like in natural light, e.g. R=220, G=175, B=160, go to curves and using the info palette adjust each color to make R= 200, G=155, B= 140.(Subtract 20 units from each color) A shadow shouldn’t really affect the hue, it should just make each color darker. The effect may not be linear so you may have to fiddle with the RGB values a bit to get exactly what you want.
Bob Williams
M
morebetter
May 12, 2005
Bob Williams wrote:
wrote:

Once you have the color you like in natural light, e.g. R=220, G=175, B=160, go to curves and using the info palette adjust each color to make R= 200, G=155, B= 140.(Subtract 20 units from each color) A shadow shouldn’t really affect the hue, it should just make each color darker. The effect may not be linear so you may have to fiddle with the RGB values a bit to get exactly what you want.
Bob Williams

When adjusting curves to add shadow, wouldn’t the composite rgb curve work better than the individual channel curves?
BW
Bob Williams
May 13, 2005
wrote:
Bob Williams wrote:

wrote:

Bob Williams

When adjusting curves to add shadow, wouldn’t the composite rgb curve work better than the individual channel curves?

I think you would have better control by using each individual channel rather than the composite RGB because the correct shadow rendition is probably not linear. You may have to reduce Red more units than Blue because the original red value is so much more than the original blue. But, hell! Try them both and se what works best for you. Bob Williams
MR
Mike Russell
May 26, 2005
"Lorem Ipsum" wrote:

DD wrote:

Nope – curves don’t match.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
MR
Mike Russell
May 26, 2005
wrote:

The important thing to keep in mind when adjusting a skin tone is to get the hue and saturation where they need to be, and adjust the brightness. Although some amount of blue is expected in a shadow, in general it’s best to shoot for a full skin tone, and vary the brightness only with the shadow.

Adjustments like this are generally tricky in RGB, since adjusting hue and saturation separately is difficult. Although the RGB master curve is sometimes useful, it has the problem that it alters hue, and does not apply the same brightness change to different hues. For this reason, Lab is often an easier color space in which to remove an overall color cast. By the same token, RGB is better for removing a cast that is associated with a shadow. —
Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com
P
patrick
May 26, 2005
Riposte of the year! You clever Curvemeister, you, Mike!! .. . . . patrick

"Mike Russell" wrote in message
"Lorem Ipsum" wrote:

DD wrote:

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com

H
Hecate
May 26, 2005
On Thu, 26 May 2005 10:33:16 GMT, "Mike Russell" wrote:

"Lorem Ipsum" wrote:

DD wrote:

Hmm, I know the feeling ;-(

Hecate – The Real One

Fashion: Buying things you don’t need, with money
you don’t have, to impress people you don’t like…

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections