C
Posted By
curtis463
Jun 4, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am attempting to enhance a photo I have scanned. The problem I am having is that it appears overly bright. White surfaces that lots of detail in the original are now very bright. I have attempted to adjust the brightness, contrast, color saturation but am having no luck. I am using photoshop 6. Does anyone have any suggestions.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

B
BLUDVLZ
Jun 4, 2004
Did you attempt any color correction on the scanner while scanning? By this I mean, did you adjust or tweak any of the scanner settings based off your scan preview? If so, try resetting your scanner preferences to default and rescan into Photoshop and do the adjustments there.

If not then perhaps your scanner’s lamp is going bad? Though usually that returns darker, not lighter scans… Lastest drivers for your scanner? What make/model of scanner?

Have you tried setting your photo higher (away from the glass)? Or scanning through some transparent medium to help offset the brightness?

Just a few ideas.
TL
Tim_Lookingbill
Jun 5, 2004
What happens when you assign AdobeRGB or sRGB to the file? Maybe create a 2.5 gamma based monitor profile with your calibrator and just use it to assign to the file. Is View/Proof Setup turned on with some 1.0 gamma based profile?

Something sounds wacked with your scanner and graphics card.
C
cantexadian
Jun 5, 2004
wrote in message news:…
I am attempting to enhance a photo I have scanned. The problem I am having is that it appears overly bright. White surfaces that lots of detail in the original are now very bright. I have attempted to adjust the brightness, contrast, color saturation but am having no luck. I am using photoshop 6. Does anyone have any suggestions.

Are you doing the corrections thru the scanner settings or in PS? If the scanner won’t adjust, then the problem is in the scanner. One suggestion is to make two scans, one for the midrange/shadow and one to get detail in the highlight areas. Then you can blend the best of both images to get an optimized image.
nikki
MM
Mike_Marketello
Jun 6, 2004
Try choosing image selective color.

Then in the top drop down box choose Whites. Then use the black slider, this will adjust just the whites in the picture.

But I agree with the others, this sounds like a problem at scan.

Another thing you might try is opening your levels adjustment, and then double click the white eye dropper, then turn down your white setting to about 242 on red green and blue. Then when you make a levels adjustment your whites won’t wash out.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections