SB
Posted By
Stu_Bloom
Jun 4, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Yes, I’ve searched the archives for a book recommendation, but none addresses my specific need.

I work for a publisher who currently publishes two tabloid weekly newspapers, black-and-white only. I’m reasonably proficient at using Photoshop Elements 2 to prepare photos for publication, in grayscale. I know how to use levels, curves (via an add-on), contrast masks, USM, selection tools, etc., in a B&W environment.

We are about to add color to one of our publications. I’ve acquired PSCS in order to be able to work in CMYK. Is there such a thing as a Photoshop book (even if not CS-specific) that is designed to help the color-ignorant prepare color photos for print publication? (Some of the photos we get need a LOT of help, even for B&W reproduction!)

TIA.

Stu

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

GH
Gary_Hummell
Jun 4, 2004
Professional Photoshop by Dan Margulis (not sure what version is current). He covers CMYK color editing in great detail as well as the other color spaces. It is not a beginner’s book but based on your familiarity with Elements, you should not have any trouble.

Gary
CC
Chris_Cox
Jun 4, 2004
I’d prefer "Real World Photoshop" by Fraser and Blatner. It covers the topics you requested, and is not restricted to CMYK and high-end output.
RL
roger_leale
Jun 5, 2004
Have a look at ‘Photoshop Color Correction’ by Michael Kieran, Peachpit Press. There can’t be a more enveloping book on print preparation.

Roger

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections