C
Posted By
Caitlin
Apr 21, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m about to get a new PC and am pondering what monitor to get. I’m currently just using a laptop, and really don’t have much room so would like to get an LCD rather than CRT.

But there is the old colour calibration issue – something I’ve never done (Only got into Photoshopping recently), but I know is important.

I’m only a hobbyist at this point, so am not interesting in spending megabucks.

I’m looking at the Viewsonic VP171. What do people think of this monitor: http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktopdisplays/lcddisplay s/proseries/vp171s/ It is promoted as good for graphic design, gaming etc, and the specs look very good. But how possible will it be to do reasonable colour management with it? Are here any special techniques for colour calibration with an LCD? Any thoughts appreciated.

TIA, Caitlin

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

H
Hecate
Apr 22, 2005
On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 09:18:59 +1000, "Caitlin"
wrote:

I’m about to get a new PC and am pondering what monitor to get. I’m currently just using a laptop, and really don’t have much room so would like to get an LCD rather than CRT.

But there is the old colour calibration issue – something I’ve never done (Only got into Photoshopping recently), but I know is important.
I’m only a hobbyist at this point, so am not interesting in spending megabucks.

I’m looking at the Viewsonic VP171. What do people think of this monitor: http://www.viewsonic.com/products/desktopdisplays/lcddisplay s/proseries/vp171s/ It is promoted as good for graphic design, gaming etc, and the specs look very good. But how possible will it be to do reasonable colour management with it? Are here any special techniques for colour calibration with an LCD? Any thoughts appreciated.

TIA, Caitlin
If you’re not worried about colour accuracy in terms of printing then it’s fine. Otherwise, for an LCD you really need something like an Eizo.

Hecate – The Real One

Fashion: Buying things you don’t need, with money
you don’t have, to impress people you don’t like…

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections