Posted By
Cem_Ahmet
Jun 3, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Can anyone help please?

I have taken some images with my digital camera and want to prepare them for printing, however, every time I open the images, they open with RGB & 72 dpi. When I change these settings, the image just gets bigger but the resolution is no better?
Is there a way I can open these jpgs as CMYK in the first instance? The files are large and the camera I am using is 2.0Mpix.

I have tried saving the files in different formats prior to opening, but even a Tif & a png file open at 782 dpi.

Cheers

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

DM
Don_McCahill
Jun 3, 2004
jpg files are RGB by default. You can change the mode to CMYK once into PS, but should change back to RGB if you want to save back to jpg. If you are staying in CMYK mode, save as tiff.

The resolution should not be a problem. PS judges images by pixel dimensions, and resolution will only be a factor when you save and/or print. Just change the resolution without resampling.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jun 3, 2004
Either your camera tags the files at 72 or it doesn’t tag them at all.

In either case PS will open them at 72ppi (it is either honoring the ppi embeded in the file header or EXIF, or opening at 72ppi default for files with no ppi info in either of these areas).

See Don’s post.

If you change ppi in PS with no resampling you have the same image you did, only the output size changes. Once you reopen the file in PS, it will honor the ppi you saved with it.

M
PA
Peter Aitken
Jun 3, 2004
wrote in message
Can anyone help please?

I have taken some images with my digital camera and want to prepare them
for printing, however, every time I open the images, they open with RGB & 72 dpi. When I change these settings, the image just gets bigger but the resolution is no better?
Is there a way I can open these jpgs as CMYK in the first instance? The
files are large and the camera I am using is 2.0Mpix.
I have tried saving the files in different formats prior to opening, but
even a Tif & a png file open at 782 dpi.
Cheers

Why wouldn’t a jpg open as RGB? That’s what a jpg *is*! As for DPI, it is irrelevant. You can change it to any value you want and, as long as resampling is off, the image won’t change at all.

Peter Aitken

Remove the crap from my email address before using.
L
LenHewitt
Jun 3, 2004
Cem,

Is there a way I can open these jpgs as CMYK in the first instance? <<

No, but why would you want to?
RW
Rene_Walling
Jun 3, 2004
You can change the mode to CMYK once into PS, but should change back to RGB if you want to save back to jpg. If you are staying in CMYK mode, save as tiff.

Huh? I save RGB TIFFs all the time, no image degradation.
B
BLUDVLZ
Jun 3, 2004
Huh? I save RGB TIFFs all the time, no image degradation.

I don’t think that was what Don was getting at… I think (and correct me if I’m wrong, Don) that what he was trying to say was that CMYK JPEG files aren’t readily accepted by most programs (MS Word, Internet Explorer, etc…).

What I wouldn’t do is continually save and resave a file as a JPEG. You can degrade your image by doing so. TIFF (with or without LZW compression) is a non-lossy format and won’t hurt your image.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections