C
Posted By
Chentom
Jun 1, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have what is probably a simple question.

When I have a number of open files that are ready for saving, I run a "batch save" using an action that contains only the Save command in it.

1. Do I always have to hit enter after every picture? It seems to defeat the automotation concept.

2. Is there a way to save the files in chronological order? Photoshop seems to save the files (which I number sequentially in the name) in REVERSE chronological order.

Help

Thanks
Tom

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DR
Danny_Raphael
Jun 1, 2004

1. It depends. How do the files come about that you want to save? File > New (new files) or File > Open (existing files). If the latter, (a) what is the original file format and (b) in what format are they saved? For example, “Opened as .psd, saved as .jpg.”

2. In PS7 (which I have) PS saves/closes open images via batch in the order they are listed in Window > Documents, top to bottom (first to last opened).

If memory serves, I believe I read in this forum about a month ago that CS does not do it that way anymore. It processes images in "last opened, first saved" sequence (bottom of the list to the top). If that’s true, I’m not aware of anything you could do in an action or an option you could select that would alter that order.

The only workaround I can think of is to open or create the files in reverse sequence if that’s possible/practical in your workflow. That way they are processed and named in the desired order via the Batch dialog. Hokey, but functional.

Ah… found the thread. Toward the end is a suggestion that may (or may not) be a useful.

<http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?128@@.3bb3a991>
C
Chentom
Jun 2, 2004
Danny,
Thanks for your help.

I am opening jpgs right from the camera. I then individually process them while keeping them all open. Then I try to run a batch save which is when CS saves everything in reverse order. Doesn’t seem to make much sense and this is what I’m looking for a solution that I’m sure exists.

Tom
DR
Danny_Raphael
Jun 2, 2004
OK…

Since you’re starting with .jpg and saving as .jpg, I believe the following will help: * Record a replacement action (just to be sure).
* Open any test .jpg image
* File > Save as…
* Select desktop or any folder as a destination (it makes no difference where) * Do not change the file name
* Specify .jpg in the format menu
* Choose the appropriate .jpg compression and options in the next .jpg dialog * OK
* Click STOP to terminate recording
* Close the test .jpg

– – – – – –

* Offload pics from camera
* Engage File > Automate > Batch to play your new action * Source: Open Files
* Destination: Folder. Choose: (wherever)
* Option "Override action ‘save as’ commands" = ON. This setting honors the destination folder specified above and the recorded .jpg settings, but suppresses the dialog boxes (I hope).
* Don’t worry about the assigning new file names at the moment. * click OK

If all goes according to plan this should save the open images w/o dialog boxes.

– – – – – –

As noted previously, in CS I think you’re stuck with the Last In, First Out processing order for open images. Nonetheless perhaps the following will help.

As is, doesn’t your camera assign generic file names (along with a sequence number), e.g.: pic-001, pic-002 or the like? If so you could rename the pics after they have been batch saved using the File Browser batch rename function.

The FB batch rename works the same was as the one in the Batch dialog. Rename processing sequence is a function of alphabetic file name order of the target images, e.g., pic-001 is renamed first, pic-002 second, etc.

Engaging FB batch rename would be a second manual intervention (not exactly fully automatic), but at least would automate the process.

Would this buy you anything?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections