RB
Posted By
Richard Berkley
Jul 10, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have not yet purchased photoshop, so my question is to find out if Photoshop is the right product for my project.
I want to create a ecommerce site. The site has products that are offered in 60 different colors or prints. I would like users of my site to be able to see the product then by use of a dropdown menu select a color, click it on, then see the product in that color or image.
I will use an example to illustrate what I want to do. Take a picture of a car – white body white top. Click on the body and a dropdown menu appears with colors. Click a color and the image changes to show the body in that selected color leaving the top white. Click on the top, then another dropdown menu appears with colors, click it, and the top color changes. What was a white on white car is now a tan on yellow car.
Is Photoshop the right software? If so, where can I get directions on how to do this? If it is not the right software, what do I use?
Please respond by email. Thanks

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

LB
larry brubeck
Jul 10, 2003
All this guy ask is for a simple answer to this question.
DM
dave milbut
Jul 10, 2003
OW:

Come here often, Sport?

RB:

I have not yet purchased photoshop, so my question is to find out if Photoshop is the right product for my project.

So i doubt he’s been here much.

OW you REALLY need to chill out. Every thread you post in degenerates into a discussion of what an a-hole you are to people. Talk about a waste of bandwidth! You’d gotten much better there for a while, but now you’re back. You gotta stop jumping on people like that. Do you think this guy deserved it? For asking a freaking question?!! All he wanted was some help. Now, maybe you just cost Adobe a sale. Give it a rest! Jeez! Step back from the keyboard and stick to your images.

RB, Photoshop can be one piece of the puzzle you need, but you’re going to need some web design sw too. Something like flash or some serious web coding to do what you want. You can create the images in PS, but you’ll need another app to handle the kind of navigation you’re talking about.

dave
Y
YrbkMgr
Jul 10, 2003
To further Dave’s thought RB, yes, photoshop can create images like those, but it’s not magic. It will take some experience to master.

Let’s put it this way, with my application suite, Photoshop is the one I would choose to create those images, but it wouldn’t be easy, and I don’t know if there are other apps that make it easier.

Peace,
Tony
RH
r_harvey
Jul 10, 2003
You might be able to save some money and get Photoshop Elements. It won’t have as fine of control over image size–which is critical for Web use. Later, if you decide that you need more, Adobe offers a discount on trading-up to the regular Photoshop–which could be called "Photoshop Professional," since it offers so many extra tools for full-time designers. Why not visit the home pages for the two products at Adobe <http://www.adobe.com/products/>, and decide which fits your needs.

Thanks Dave.
L
LenHewitt
Jul 10, 2003
Richard,

Yes, Photoshop can create 60 different coloured variations of the same image….BUT that means you have to have 60 images on the server for each product, and the user has to wait whilst each image downloads when selected. It cannot create different colours "on-the-fly" for a single image.

So if you have 100 products, that’s 6000 separate images…..
V
viol8ion
Jul 10, 2003
Richard

That is quite a complex project that you are considering. First, I hope you have talented designers, because it will not be easy for a novice. thatsaid, I would probably lean towards using Macromedia Flash (sorry Adobe) for something as interactive as you are contemplating. Other than that, you are going to have dozens of images and rollovers or what-have-you if you attempt this with standard JPGs.

If you are planning on using JPGs and not Flash, then Photoshop is definately the way to go, and ImageReady which comes with PShop would give you the tools to do some creative rollovers. No matter which course you take, this is not a job for the unitiated, and the fact that you have to ask implies that you probably do not have the skills yourself to do this project. No offense, I am not being a , just making an observation. I have been desiging web pages for 8 years now and the concept you describe would be a challenge to me.

If you have designers in mind, maybe you should ask them how they would go about desiging this page, and what tools they prefer.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections