MO
Posted By
Marcel_Olrichs
May 30, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I use PS 7 for recreational uses. Can I officially upgrade to CS with an unofficial PS 7 running on my (XP) machine? Or does Adobe "sees" that the installed PS 7 is not officialy purchased? (no comments on my illigal ver 7 please, at least I want to get legal now!)

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

GH
Grass_Hopper
May 30, 2004
No. To get PSCS, you MUST purchase the FULL version or you will continue to be using pirated software. This is the ONLY way in which you will be "official".

There is a cheaper way to buy the full version of PSCS, IF (you must be able to prove this when buying) you are a student or faculty at a school, you could purchase the Educational version of this software.
B
BobLevine
May 30, 2004
You want to get legal? Buy the full version and delete your "recreational" copy immediately.

Bob
MO
Marcel_Olrichs
May 30, 2004
And you are? Spare me your paternalistic talk! As I asked in my original mail.
RK
Rob_Keijzer
May 30, 2004
You asked for it.
Rob
TK
Tomaz_Klinc
May 30, 2004
Marcel, as you surely know, using an "unofficial" PS 7 is like using stolen property; plain and simple, and there’s nothing paternalistic about it.
B
BobLevine
May 30, 2004
And you are?

Someone who PAID for his software.

Spare me your paternalistic talk! As I asked in my original mail.

You’re in no position to request any such thing. You’re a thief, plain and simple.

Bob
DM
Don_McCahill
May 30, 2004
Marcel

I hope you didn’t expect to find sympathy for using illegal copies of Photoshop in a forum operated by Adobe?
RO
Robert_Oliver
May 30, 2004
And you are?

We are legal users of the software. We might as well ask who *you* are.

Can I rob a bank if I just use the money for "recreational uses?"
IL
Ian_Lyons
May 30, 2004
Marcel,

As you have noted yourself the version you’re using is illegal and as such doesn’t qualify you to "officially" upgrade. You shouldn’t be using it and really shouldn’t expect anything more than the type of response that you’ve been getting. However, given that you’re considering going legal (and many have traveled the same path in the past) it’s worth pointing out a few things to you so that you can make a more informed choice on your next move.

1. The Upgrade and Full versions use a NEW serial number.

2. The upgrade requires that you provide a serial number from a previous version BEFORE it installs.

3. If the serial number you have been using was one of the many floating around the web this past few years then as soon as you attempt to use it it will be flagged as illegal and you’ll get no further with the installation.

So you can see that buying the upgrade carries a risk that you’ll get no further than inserting the old serial number. I’m not sure that I would gamble away the $’s especially when I know that I’m not going to get any sympathy from Adobe or the wider base of legit users. My recommendation would be to buy the full version; at least that way you can be sure that it will install and function.

Ian
B
BobLevine
May 30, 2004
Ian,

A bit of a correction/clarification for the lurkers out there. The PSCS upgrade, at least on Windows, requires an earlier version to be either installed or a CD of an earlier version for verification.

IIRC, I didn’t need an earlier serial number when I installed it.

Bob
IL
Ian_Lyons
May 30, 2004
Bob,

Disk OR Serial Number!
B
BobLevine
May 30, 2004
Whatever you say. But I seem to remember needing the 7.0 CD to install CS on my laptop.

Do the Mac and Windows versions work differently?

Bob
B
BobLevine
May 30, 2004
Actually, I installed it using the Creative Suite upgrade so I can’t really say what the individual app would need.

Sorry for any confusion.

Bob
IL
Ian_Lyons
May 30, 2004
Bob,

I use Mac and PC versions of CS (Upgrade and Full disks). I also have the Creative Suite Premium Edition Full Version (Mac).
MO
Marcel_Olrichs
May 31, 2004
Ian, thanks for the explanation. Note that I am only using PS for the fun of it. It’s obvious that if I wanted to use it professionally, I’d be sure to have it all done the proper way. But here in the Netherlands, I still remember the Wordperfect way : go on and use it at your home! The more we’ll sell in the office! So I won’t buy the upgrade (200 euros profit for Adobe). In stead I won’t buy it at all. (0,- pfofit for Adobe).

Marcel
DM
Don_McCahill
May 31, 2004
Re: So I won’t buy the upgrade (200 euros profit for Adobe). In stead I won’t buy it at all. (0,- profit for Adobe).

In the micro view that might seem like less money to Adobe. But if you could do what you wanted, then no one would buy the full version, and that would result in a lower profit for Adobe.

The upgrade price is a consideration for people who have already paid the full price for the software. The newer version has more features, but repeats many of the features of the old version. The upgrade is priced much lower because it is only paying for new features, not all features.
B
BobLevine
May 31, 2004
How would you feel if someone used your car for the fun of it?

Bob
B
BobLevine
May 31, 2004
Thanks, Ian.

Bob
RL
roger_leale
May 31, 2004
Marcel,

I would dare to say that most of us use Photoshop for recreational purposes, and that the minority of the users are real professionals. Why not search a legal copy of 5.5 or 6.0 on the web,(try E-bay first), and then buy an upgrade. For less than $200 dollars you could play to your hearts content, with all the help that this site provides.

Roger

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections