JB
Posted By
John_Bardell
May 30, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am a new user to CS and have recently replaced my old Mitsubishi CRT monitor with a Samsung 172x LCD monitor. I run XP and use a new model winfast video card using the Nvidia chipset. I have calibrated the monitor using Magic Tune.

Photos that display OK on the CRT and display OK on the LCD in terms of brightness, saturation, contrast etc using tools like the XP viewer and
ACDSee. However, when I open the same photo in Photoshop CS the image is too bright, heavily saturated, and has too much contrast. Altogether a very harsh and hard image.

Any thoughts on the problem or any hints would be greatley appreciated.

Thanks and regards John Bardell

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

RK
Rob_Keijzer
May 30, 2004
Run Adobe Gamma from Windows Control Panel.
Rob
L
LenHewitt
May 30, 2004
Rob,

Adobe Gamma really isn’t designed for use with LCD monitors…

John,

The problem is that your Magic Tune generated profile is not being recognized by Photoshop. This could be because you have not renamed or removed the shortcut to Adobe Gamma Loader in your startup folder.
JB
John_Bardell
May 31, 2004
Len,

thanks for your quick response.

I’ve renamed both the Adobe Gamma Loader short-cut and the .exe and recalled the image I’m using as my test. Same result as before. Any other thoughts?

thanks again for your help.

regards John
JB
John_Bardell
May 31, 2004
Rob,

thanks for your suggestion. My understanding also is that Adobe Gamma is not designed for LCD monitors.

I’ve tried Len’s suggestion and the problem remains.

Thanks again for your help.

regards John
L
LenHewitt
May 31, 2004
John,

Not knowing Magic Tune, I don’t know how you would get the LUT loaded by your video card.
DJ
dennis_johnson
Jun 1, 2004
Adobe Gamma may not have been designed to work with LCD displays, but it’s worth trying it if the Magic Tune utility isn’t giving you good results.

Adobe Gamma works quite well for the work I do on my home machine, using an LCD display – images opened in Photoshop display with the same color balance and brightness as images opened in other applications, and look fine when opened on my machines at work, where I DO use calibrated CRT displays.

Your results may vary – and others’ clearly DO vary, based upon the posts on the subject in this forum – but with care, using your eyeballs instead of relying on the "Wizard" completely, and taking care to calibrate in a dim, neutral environment, I think you will be able to achieve useful results with it.
JB
John_Bardell
Jun 3, 2004
Len,

just read your note to Chris Watkins. Very same problem that I have had and I’m using the same workaround.

regards John
L
LenHewitt
Jun 3, 2004
Whatever works for you, John…

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections