Posted By
Nathan_Marks
May 28, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have never had this problem before.

What is happening, is that I cannot open a file, or start a new file in photshop, no matter how much i click ctrl+n and hit ok, or ctrl+o and select a file, I cannot work on anything, and this is creating a big problem.

I use Photoshop CS.

I tried reinstalling Photoshop CS, didn’t work, dug up my Photoshop 7 disk and installed it, No luck there either.

I am not able to reinstall Windows XP on this computer, so that is not an option for me.

If anyone can help me, I will be very grateful.

-Nathan

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

B
BobLevine
May 28, 2004
Check the FAQs. You either need a new keyboard driver or you’re using an illegally hacked copy of Photoshop.

Bob
NM
Nathan_Marks
May 28, 2004
No, i have been using this Photoshop for ages and it has never had a problem, I borrowed a mates disk from work, it is not illegal…

And why would keyboard Drivers have to do with this problem? I am curious.
B
BobLevine
May 28, 2004
I borrowed a mates disk from work, it is not illegal…

Right.

Bob
NM
Nathan_Marks
May 28, 2004
Bob, instead of accusing me of an illegal copy, would you please help me?

I have been using CS for a while and this is the first time it has happened, (if it has to do with keyboard drivers, I do have a new wireless keyboard, but no idea how it would affect it)

Not just that, I even popped in 5.5 and it gave me the same problem
NM
Nathan_Marks
May 28, 2004
So I am now breaking the law using a work-owned disc to install CS?
May 28, 2004
Nathan_Marks wrote:

I borrowed a mates disk from work, it is not illegal…

Um, doofus, if you didn’t PAY for your software then it’s ILLEGAL.
B
BobLevine
May 28, 2004
Bob, instead of accusing me of an illegal copy, would you please help me?

You borrowed the software from a friend. It is illegal. No, I won’t help you.

And this, for the rest of you out there is just the reason for anti-piracy measures in software.

Bob
JB
Jonathan_Balza
May 28, 2004
All illegal software aside… it doesn’t sound like the shortcuts are the problems here. (btw, how come you can’t reinstall Windows XP? That’s kind of suspicious, too.)

Nate, let me get this straight: you press ctrl-N, get the "new" dialog box, and then hit "OK". at that point, your dialog box dissappears, and no new document comes up.

The same thing with your "open". You get the dialog box, hit "open" and nothing happens.

If that is right, it probably isn’t the keyboard drivers at all, but something a little more serious. We would need some more information – like your system specs, is this a sudden problem? etc…

My suggestion would be to just reinstall if this is happening across programs like it is.

Of course, you could always try resetting the preferences… It’s almost as good as resetting your computer!
NM
Nathan_Marks
May 28, 2004
Thanks.

I guess since I cannot afford a copy and my office-head lent me his (owned by work), I cannot get help?
B
BobLevine
May 28, 2004
You borrowed it from a friend or got it from work? Which is it?

If, and this is a big if, you are the only one to use the machine at home and at work, it’s legal.

Bob
JB
Jonathan_Balza
May 28, 2004
"I guess since I cannot afford a copy and my office-head lent me his (owned by work), I cannot get help? "

Pretty much, not too many people around here willing to help people that have illegal copies.
NM
Nathan_Marks
May 28, 2004
At work we use Photoshop…

A while back I asked if I could borrow the copy so I could work at home (I had just got a computer) And he gave it to me, and now I am having this problem
May 28, 2004
So I am now breaking the law using a work-owned disc to install CS?

Perhaps…

If it is the same copy you use on your workstation (and ONLY your workstation) at work, no – Adobe’s license generously provides for folks to use the same copy at work and at home, since you can’t be at two places at once. (This of course assumes that no one else uses your workstation while you’re not there; if you share workstations then forget about it).

If it’s from any other user or workstation then yes you are using Photoshop illegally.

And no, if you’re using the software illegally you’ll get no help from the law-abiding folks around here. You don’t deserve it if you use commercial software without paying for it. Adobe is not in business to make you more skilled, they’re in business to make a profit selling (not giving) software to folks who want or need to use it.
AP
Alpha_Papa
May 29, 2004
Take some time away from the forums to do some work and you see nothing much has changed 😉

Adam.
JC
James_C_Johnson
Jun 3, 2004
I have a legal copy at my work on a Win2k Pro OS and I am getting the same thing. I cannot create any new documents.

As soon as I select File, New, the file menu greys out and everything in photoshop stops. I am using a LICENSED version of 7.0.1 and cannot create anything new.

Everytime this happens, I need to close Photoshop from Task Manager, since I cannot do anything with it after that.

I tried reinstalling the 7.0.1 update and no dice. Keyboard drivers are updated. Tried to create a blank file first in notepad and open it up in photoshop….but guess it is not suprising that it didn’t work, I don’t think that would work if everything was working ok.

Able to work around this by opening up an existing document, saving it as another photoshop document and deleting it down to a clean slate, but would like the original functionality back.

Any help would be appreciated. I am subscribed to this forum thread. Thanks in advance!

James
B
BobLevine
Jun 3, 2004
First of all you should always create a new thread for a new topic. But I think what’s happened to you is the dialog box is somehow off the screen. If you’ve changed from dual to single monitors or reduced the resolution of your screen, you should change it back.

If not, trashing your prefs per the details in the FAQs should fix you up.

Bob
GH
Grass_Hopper
Jun 3, 2004
Nathan,
if you are having problems with all ctrl+* functions, this is a known problem for one of two reasons: 1) your keyboard drivers need to be updated or 2) you are using a cracked (illegal) version of PSCS.

James,
have you tried resetting your preferences, as outlined in the FAQ <http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?50@@.ef4a07f>?
JC
James_C_Johnson
Jun 3, 2004
Yeah that’s it.

Weird thing is that I have had two monitors for quite a while now.

Am able to just hit enter, and the new file will just open up.

Got to the FAQ…..Thanks for the link Grasshoppa!

Thanks for all your quick help.

James
JH
Jake_Hannam
Jun 3, 2004
"If it is the same copy you use on your workstation (and ONLY your workstation) at work, no – Adobe’s license generously provides for folks to use the same copy at work and at home, since you can’t be at two places at once. (This of course assumes that no one else uses your workstation while you’re not there; if you share workstations then forget about it)."

This was definitely the case with all previous versions of Photoshop and, indeed, all other Adobe software (that I know of, anyway). However, is this still the case with Photoshop CS with its new activation scheme? I haven’t tried a second install of my CS so I was just wondering …

Jake
MM
Mac_McDougald
Jun 3, 2004
Never mind…already was answered…
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 3, 2004
Robert Levine "Dialog box is missing??" 2/14/04 6:41pm </cgi-bin/webx?13/0>

you’re missing the new dialog. where the 2nd monitor used to be. either hook up the old monitor temporarily, or follow the faq above to try and get the dialog back, otherwise the reset prefs faq will also get the dialog back, but at the expense of all your prefrences.

Mathias Vejerslev "How to delete/reset Photoshop preferences" 5/29/04 12:33am </cgi-bin/webx?50>
B
BobLevine
Jun 3, 2004
Jake,

Yes. It still applies.

Bob

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections