Posted By
Joseph_Petrino
May 28, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Sorry if this has been asked before.

The 7.0.1 update says that Tiff files saved with LZW compression is fixed.

I’m not able to view thumbnails in Windows explorer using LZW compression but it works ok with no compression.

Does anyone know a workaround or if the problem has been addressed.

thanks

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

JH
Jim_Hess
May 28, 2004
That’s certainly seems strange to me. I have used Photoshop 7.0 and Photoshop CS, and in both of those versions I can specify type of compression or no compression when I save a tif image.
MM
Mac_McDougald
May 28, 2004

7.0.1 doesn’t change Windows behavior.

Think the fix means that PS File Browser can read LZW TIFF.

So, it’s a Windows thing, not a PS thing.

Mac
CC
Chris_Cox
May 28, 2004
Actually, the 7.0.1 fix was for TIFF files written by Photoshop with LZW compression (in 7.0.0 they had one byte too many and that threw off some third party readers).

It shouldn’t affect thumbnails in the Explorer.
JP
Joseph_Petrino
May 28, 2004
I guess it is a windows thing

thanks
MM
Mac_McDougald
May 28, 2004
See Chris’ post…seems should NOT be a Windows thing, assuming your LWZ’s were written with 7.01.

M
CC
Chris_Cox
May 28, 2004
It can still be a Windows thing if the Explorer won’t create thumbnails for LZW compressed TIFF. And I’m pretty sure it can’t handle ZIP compressed TIFF.
JG
John_Gregson
May 29, 2004
I do know that there is a problem with regards to layered TIFF-LZW files. Windows only shows the layer. I don’t know if it’s a problem with windows not knowing how to read the preview or if it’s PS8 saving the preview.

John Gregson
AD
Antonio_Dias
May 29, 2004
I agree that this may be a Windows thing, but there is some interaction with Photoshop nonetheless.

In my case is not so much the issue that Explorer does not show the thumbs but that Explorer crashes in folders w/ some TIFFs or PNGs. In PS CS, it crashes the program when saving a TIFF file to those folders – very annoying.

My experience is that this may be due to a recent XP upgrade patch. It has only been happening in my systems after I installed the upgrades 🙁

I urge Adobe to look into this (even if it is not a PS thing) to help PS users solve it.

Thanks!
MM
Mick_Murphy
May 29, 2004
The Explorer crashes are a Windows bug. The fix is to remove file associations from PS and restore to the default Windows associations.
AD
Antonio_Dias
May 29, 2004
The fix is to remove file associations from PS and restore to the default Windows associations.

Not entirely true. I did that and still crashed on occasion. I agree it is a Windows bug… but Adobe has a lot of pull w/ MS and I’m sure they can work it out.
MM
Mac_McDougald
May 30, 2004
Try renaming all instances of psicon.dll to psicon.old.

You won’t get thumbnails, but may solve the crashing.

Mac
CC
Chris_Cox
Jun 2, 2004
Mick – that won’t solve the Windows bugs in dealing with some TIFF and PNG files.

No, we haven’t gotten them to do more than put it on the list of bugs to fix.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections