How do I create a 2 color photo of a brick wall?

E
Posted By
Eastern
May 26, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am using a photo of a brick wall on a postcard, and I’d like to keep the print job to 2 colors, if possible.

I’d like the brick to be red, and the mortar in between to be a shade of grey (black).

I brought it into photoshop and selected the areas I wanted and did a fill of the pms red color that I wanted. However, this is still turning out to be a 4 color CMYK job.

Any advice? I’ve been using photoshop for a while, but mostly just to save images in different formats. Thanks!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

L
LenHewitt
May 26, 2004
You would need to create a red spot colour channel for the brickwork and delete the mortar from all but the black channel.

Finally save as DCS-2 EPS, mutiple file with colour composite, 8-bit prview and ASCII encoding
GP
Gene Palmiter
May 27, 2004
Well…I don’t know if this is the right way…but I get paid by the hour so I find something that works…Just use the curves to remove the colors you don’t want and have the printer run the magenta as your red and the black as the grey. Its hard to make PS anything but CMYK or RGB…ok…actually…PS is RGB…it can pretend to be CMYK…anything else is harder for it.

wrote in message
I am using a photo of a brick wall on a postcard, and I’d like to keep the
print job to 2 colors, if possible.
I’d like the brick to be red, and the mortar in between to be a shade of
grey (black).
I brought it into photoshop and selected the areas I wanted and did a fill
of the pms red color that I wanted. However, this is still turning out to be a 4 color CMYK job.
Any advice? I’ve been using photoshop for a while, but mostly just to save
images in different formats. Thanks!
E
Eastern
May 27, 2004
What color mode do I need to keep the artwork in? I’m starting from a greyscale.

Also, what is a DCS-2? Thanks!
E
Eastern
May 27, 2004
Okay I figured out the DCS-2 part, but I can’t get teh spot channel to work. I make my selection, create a new spot channel, select the color that I want to use, and when I click on okay, teh channel is just white and is not filled in with my color.

should I not be in greyscale mode? What am I doing wrong?
L
LenHewitt
May 27, 2004
Eastern,

when I click on okay, teh channel is just white and is not filled in
with my color. <<

You have to put CONTENT in that channel for anything to visible. Until you do it is just an empty channel

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections