Y
Posted By
yeahright
Apr 13, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi everyone, i recently got a project that i may need to color separate, so any ideas of how, of course besides changing the mode to CMYK, which i did.

any ideas tutorials would be much appreciated. thanks
I really need help in this. if you can do a 1, 2 , 3 … steps it would be great. i am completely stuck.
Note: using Photoshop CS
the project is 2 part,
1 picture
2 a logo that i created

part of the problem is, i have been told they need to do a "film positive" of 2 colors, red and black, (cyan and black)
how would i do that, help help help
Jim

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

S
Stephan
Apr 14, 2005
Jim S. wrote:
Hi everyone, i recently got a project that i may need to color separate, so any ideas of how, of course besides changing the mode to CMYK, which i did.
I really need help in this. if you can do a 1, 2 , 3 … steps it would be great. i am completely stuck.
the project is 2 part,
1 picture
2 a logo that i created

part of the problem is, i have been told they need to do a "film positive" of 2 colors, red and black, (cyan and black)
Jim

Did you try the magic location: User Manual or
file:///C:/Program%20Files/Adobe/Adobe%20Photoshop%20CS/Help /help.html ? There is a chapter on the subject, did you read it?

Stephan
A
adykes
Apr 14, 2005
In article <U%h7e.6494$>,
Jim S. wrote:
the project is 2 part,
1 picture
2 a logo that i created

Jim

You wouldn’t know it from the title but this book is described as everything you want to know about CYMK and pre-press. I’ve seen it in the bookstore.

_Professional Photoshop: The Classic Guide to Color Correction_ by Dan Margulis "

http://www.stylegala.com/store/0764536958/
Professional_Photoshop_The_Classic_Guide_to_Color_Correction .html

a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don’t blame me. I voted for Gore.
R
RSD99
Apr 14, 2005
First:
Dan Margulis’ books are *excellent.* He is pretty much the "gold standard" for print / CMYK applications of PhotoShop.

Second:
He hosts an "Applied Color Theory" forum on Yahoo, covering these subjects …. and more. Some of his articles and the archives for the forum are located at
http://www.ledet.com/margulis/articles.html
http://www.ledet.com/margulis/ACT_postings/ACT.htm

SEVERAL of these items are directly "on point" for your question.

Third:
comp.pub.prepress

Fourth:
The PhotoShop manual actually *is* worth reading.

"Al Dykes" wrote in message
Jim S. wrote:
Hi everyone, i recently got a project that i may need to color separate,
so
any ideas of how, of course besides changing the mode to CMYK, which i
did.
I really need help in this. if you can do a 1, 2 , 3 … steps it would
be
great. i am completely stuck.
the project is 2 part,
1 picture
2 a logo that i created

part of the problem is, i have been told they need to do a "film
positive"
of 2 colors, red and black, (cyan and black)
Jim

You wouldn’t know it from the title but this book is described as everything you want to know about CYMK and pre-press. I’ve seen it in the bookstore.

_Professional Photoshop: The Classic Guide to Color Correction_ by Dan Margulis "

http://www.stylegala.com/store/0764536958/
Professional_Photoshop_The_Classic_Guide_to_Color_Correction .html

a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don’t blame me. I voted for Gore.
T
Tacit
Apr 14, 2005
"Jim S." wrote:

Okay, I’m confused. First, you say you need CMYK separations. Then, you say you need 2-color red and black separations–a completely different and utterly unrelated animal that has nothing whatsoever to do with making a CMYK separation, and must be built using an entirely edifferent process and an entirely different set of principles.

It sounds like you may have some confusion about what you need, so explaining the job you are trying to do will help.

If oyu do indeed need a 2-color logo, you have already gone down the wrong path just by running Photoshop; logos should be done as vector files, which means using a program like Illustrator.

Now, assuming you do actually need to make a CMYK separation:

You can just use Image->Mode->CMYK, and you’ll get a CMYK image.

However, depending on how that image will be printed on press, and what kind of paper is being used, the results may not be printable.

For best results, you MUST use File->Color Settings->CMYK Setup, and use the CMYK Setup dialog box to specify the separation parameters for your press and paper, EVERY time you create a CMYK separation.

Also, many colors in RGB can not be reproduced in CMYK. CMYK has a different range of colors, or "gamut," than RGB.

If your image contains out-of-gamut colors, these colors will be converted to their nearest approximation in CMYK. The result will be a color which is less saturated and somewhat flatter.

Often, a little bit of color tweaking is necessary in the CMYK image. After separating an RGB image to CMYK, you may wish to use the Curves command (Image->Adjust->Curves) to increase contrast in the midtones slightly, as the separation often becomes flatter in the midtones.

Specific colors can be tweaked with Image->Adjust->Selective Color. For example, if your blues have yellow in them, you can remove yellow from blues to make them more saturated and richer.

When you color corrrect the image, you should, of course, have your Info palette open. Look at the numbers in the out-of-gamut colors; see if your primary colors have any contaminating color that can be reduced to increase saturation. For example, yellow in your blues or cyan in your reds can be reduced, if present, to make the colors richer.

Vivid RGB blues often separate with too much magenta, making the colors appear more purple than blue. Using Selective Color to reduce magenta in blues will often solve this problem.

The range and depth of color you can expect to get depends on the settings in your CMYK setup, which themselves depend on the kind of paper and press you are going to be printing on.

As for setting up your CMYK separation:

If you just go Image->Mode->CMYK without changing the values in your CMYK setup, the result will look okay on most sheetfed presses and coated (glossy) color stocks, but will not be acceptable for, say, newspaper printing.

For best results, you should talk to your printer about what to do. Most importantly, make sure he gives you the values he needs for maximum ink and maximum black percentages; if you exceed these values, the image may smear on press.

As starter points:

For sheetfed presses printing on high-quality coated paper, you can usually use GCR, 100% black ink limit, 300% total ink limit, Light or Medium black generation.

For very high quality lithographic output, your total ink limit can go as high as 310%.

For web-fed presses on glossy paper, or sheetfed presses using high-quality uncoated paper at a 110-line halftone or above, use GCR, 100% black ink limit, 280% total ink limit, Light or Medium black generation.

Newsprint is a different story entirely. For newsprint, appropriate settings might be UCR, 240% to 260% total ink limit, 85% black ink limit. When you convert the image to CMYK, it will look washed-out and flat, but newsprint darkens *considerably* on press so this reduction in density is necessary.

Hope that helps.

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
Y
yeahright
Apr 16, 2005
Thanks all for the reply, and thanks much to
"tacit".
well, what I have been told by the person that is doing a "film positive" that he needs to have only two channels, black and Cyan, now for my understanding, is basically split the channels, and "Merge" all the channels with black leaving only the cyan out. but i have been told differently.

my image had cyan gradient that merges with other colors, so it is impossible to get "just" the cyan, without using my method (split-merge), So, is my method of color seperation is wrong? (according to the requirements)??
so if someone needs "color separation" i just need to change from RGB to CMYK right? of course there maybe some flesh tone correction, and some color correction, but what should i present to the person that brings me a project to be color separated?

and if the asked is 2 channels, let us say, Cyan and black, to be done as "film positive" what should i do? (if different than my method) should i invest in a laser printer to output the needed channels?

and what is the required for a "prepress" if i have a photo or any graphics file that i create?

thanks a lot that would mean so much for me to answer. thanks

Note: i read what i saw relative in the Help file in photoshop, and i do understand that Vector files need to be done in Illustrator (even though am not sure how to do color seperation in illustrator, any light on that subject would be great) mean while am still running that internet for help.

thanks again guys and gals.
Jim

"Jim S." wrote in message
Hi everyone, i recently got a project that i may need to color separate,
so
any ideas of how, of course besides changing the mode to CMYK, which i
did.
the project is 2 part,
1 picture
2 a logo that i created

Jim

T
Tacit
Apr 16, 2005
In article <a928e.7603$>,
"Jim S." wrote:

"tacit".
well, what I have been told by the person that is doing a "film positive" that he needs to have only two channels, black and Cyan, now for my understanding, is basically split the channels, and "Merge" all the channels with black leaving only the cyan out. but i have been told differently.

The "film positive" or "film negative" is irrelevant; the only thing that is important is that the printer is asking you for a file that contains information only in the cyan and black channels. The easiest way to do this is to convert the file to CMYK, then delete everything in the magenta and yellow channels. However, this might not give you the results you want. Can you explain in detail what you are trying to do?

and if the asked is 2 channels, let us say, Cyan and black, to be done as "film positive" what should i do? (if different than my method) should i invest in a laser printer to output the needed channels?

You should give him a CMYK file where the magenta and yellow channels are blank, and the cyan and black channels contain the image information.
and what is the required for a "prepress" if i have a photo or any graphics file that i create?

That depends on what you are printing, and how it is being printed; it’s impossible to explain prepress in a single message.

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
P
PH
Apr 17, 2005
"Jim S." wrote:
"tacit".
my image had cyan gradient that merges with other colors, so it is impossible to get "just" the cyan, without using my method (split-merge), So, is my method of color seperation is wrong? (according to the requirements)??
so if someone needs "color separation" i just need to change from RGB to CMYK right? of course there maybe some flesh tone correction, and some color correction, but what should i present to the person that brings me a project to be color separated?

thanks a lot that would mean so much for me to answer. thanks
Note: i read what i saw relative in the Help file in photoshop, and i do understand that Vector files need to be done in Illustrator (even though am not sure how to do color seperation in illustrator, any light on that subject would be great) mean while am still running that internet for help.
thanks again guys and gals.
Jim

Jim,

Like has been said: film negative or positive is not
something you should worry about. The printing office will take care of that, it does not need special preparations from your side. Film negative is used in regular off set print. Positive mostly in screen printing.

Splitting up the CMYK file into two colors has been
explained also. But now you mention a gradient. What kind of gradient?

Designing a logo is indeed best done in vector
(Illustrator). Just assign the colors to the objects, the printing office (or lithographic people) will deal with that easy. I think using Pantone (spot) colors is the way to go with that.
In short: do not worry too much about the separations as such, just make sure the file you deliver is consistent and just has two colors.
You even could make two fake colors, the film output is
black-transparent anyway. It is a matter of using the right ink when printing.

steg

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections