Editing color of existing gradient fill.

L
Posted By
lalittleREMOVE2REPLY
Apr 10, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Is there a way to replace or edit the color of a gradient fill without having to "rebuild" the gradient? I got a gradient fill the way I like it using the gradient tool, but I’d like to edit the color. I don’t see a way of editing just the color and keeping the general "build" of the gradient. Is there a way of doing this?

Thanks,

Larry

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

MR
Mike Russell
Apr 10, 2005
Larry L. wrote:
Is there a way to replace or edit the color of a gradient fill without having to "rebuild" the gradient? I got a gradient fill the way I like it using the gradient tool, but I’d like to edit the color. I don’t see a way of editing just the color and keeping the general "build" of the gradient. Is there a way of doing this?

If you want to change the gradient itself, duplicate the gradient, click on the square for the color in question in the gradient editor, then use the pixker to change it to what you want.

If you want to change a gradient that you have already laid down, try curves. Switch to Lab mode, drop a sample point on the location you want to change, and use the a and b curves to zero in on your color. If you want to change only a narrow range of color, add a bump to the a and b curves, but keep most of the curve on the original diagonal.

Experiment also with curving in RGB, but the effects of RGB will tend to change color and brightness across the entire gradient, not just a selected color.

Another way to do this is to overlay another gradient that is mostly transparent, with color only where you want to change it.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections