NW
Posted By
Nomadic Worker
Apr 3, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi I am trying to do a website template for a friend. we both traveled the world and are tying to set up a website with job resources in all continents including Antarctica.

Coming from a network and desktop support background I am brand new to Photoshop and graphics. I just would like some feedback on what I can do better.

Any constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated.

Anyways the link is www.nomadicworker.com

Thanks,

Robert

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

FD
Fred Doyle
Apr 3, 2005
Just an FYI, your positioning doesn’t hold up in Firefox or Netscape. The main head gets woverwritten.

Beyond that, please don’t take this criticism personally. It seems a little plain to me. Since the background is all white, you rely on type styles and alignment to indicate the different areas on the page, and I think that gives it a little chaotic feel. The rollovers on the left nav seem out of place, and when rolled over, the type can get a bit cut off. The banner type has that Photoshopped feel and doesn’t really contriubute much to understanding the site, or in creating an identity for the site. This is a start, but I’d recommend more time, thought and work on it.

Fred Doyle
www.leafpublishing.com

"Nomadic Worker" wrote in message
Hi I am trying to do a website template for a friend. we both traveled the
world and are tying to set up a website with job resources in all continents
including Antarctica.

Coming from a network and desktop support background I am brand new to Photoshop and graphics. I just would like some feedback on what I can do better.

Thanks,

Robert

P
PH
Apr 3, 2005
Nomadic Worker wrote:
Hi I am trying to do a website template for a friend. we both traveled the world and are tying to set up a website with job resources in all continents including Antarctica.

Thanks,

Robert

Not sure what graphics or Photoshop was involved
here……looks all very dull, I guess you should turn to some website building group.

Peter
B
blackcatzuk
Apr 3, 2005

Hire a web designer.
K
KatWoman
Apr 5, 2005
Well if you want to do it yourself you need a program that will let you use a pre designed site like FrontPage. Or download some templates (some are free) and just substitute your info and pix. Your site has no graphics, so you didn’t need Photoshop at all. That site could be done in WORD. If you are trying to help out a friend you are having to learn to be a web designer for free. People on here get paid for that and have YEARS OF TRAINING in art, graphics, advertising etc. I mean you can do-it-yourself but it is not the same as hiring an expert. In addition to being good looking a site needs to have professional marketing and placement or no one will see it. I think every website needs input from two sources, often one person, but you must have someone to design the graphical interface and someone to control the content (metatags, placement in search engines, update databases etc)
It doesn’t mean you can’t do it yourself but if you had a large diamond that needed cutting would you want to learn diamond cutting and risk messing it up or hire an experienced jeweler?

I
"Nomadic Worker" wrote in message
Hi I am trying to do a website template for a friend. we both traveled the
world and are tying to set up a website with job resources in all continents
including Antarctica.

Thanks,

Robert

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections