SL
Posted By
suzanne_longrie
May 19, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’ve tried searching on this site & in my photoshop book for a CLEAR explanation on how to do this, but have had no luck. So I’ve decided to post.

I have an image that I would like to put into transparent text. I’ve been playing around with the layers & paths, but I obviously haven’t been doing it correctly. So this is my question…how do you do it? I am working with Photoshop 5.0.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Suzanne

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

LB
larry_brubeck
May 19, 2004
This site has some good tutorials for that, WWW.MyJanee.com. Look under her tutorial index and see the text tutorials. Also try a Google search, might be lots more out there. Good Luck
H
heathrowe
May 19, 2004
Hey suz
Here’s a few options for you to explore
http://www.heathrowe.com/tuts/typetricks2.asp

hope that helps ya
heathrowe
DM
dave_milbut
May 19, 2004
here’s a thread describing how to do it from last week. a forum search can work wonders!

LenHewitt "Picture in text" 5/6/04 8:46am </cgi-bin/webx?14/0>
SL
suzanne_longrie
May 20, 2004
I’m sorry I totally forgot to mention that the "text" image I’m using isn’t really text at all. It’s our logo that’s saved as a transparent eps file. And since there isn’t a "type" layer I’m kinda stuck.
Any ideas?
HK
Harron_K._Appleman
May 20, 2004
Suzanne,

Not sure what you mean by "transparent eps file," but if you can get your logo into Photoshop as a path, then you can still use the technique described in Dave’s link. Simply put the logo on a layer of its own as a black fill on a transparent background, then use that as the "text" layer.

I can’t help but ask if you really want to do this. Most corporations frown on using logos in this manner.

=-= Harron =-=
SL
suzanne_longrie
May 20, 2004
I guess what I meant by transparent, is that there is no background around the lettering, you can say import it into a design program without the "white box" around it…

Do I bring the logo into the picture file or the other way around? I guess I don’t understand what "black fill" means. All I’m doing is putting the image of clouds within our logo, it is only for an internal newsletter…we are a very small company.
HK
Harron_K._Appleman
May 20, 2004
Suzanne,

OK. I see you’re working in Photoshop 5. I cannot remember what features were available in that version, but I’m fairly certain clipping groups was not. So, forget about that technique.

Open the EPS logo file in Photoshop (File | Open). You will be asked for dimensional information for rasterizing purposes. Enter numbers that are slightly smaller than the image file you’re using (which, one hopes, also represents something close to your required final size).

Once the logo file is open, look at the layers palette. There should be only one layer, consisting of the logo on a transparent background. Ctrl-click on the layer in the palette. This should give you the "marching ants" around your logo. Hit Ctrl+C to copy the selection onto the pasteboard.

Now you can paste the logo into your image file and use that new layer to create the necessary mask.

=-= Harron =-=
L
LenHewitt
May 21, 2004
Suzanne,

Another way:

Create your background image. Copy the Illustrator logo to the clipboard and Paste as Paths into Photoshop. Select the path and from the Paths Palette select ‘Make Selection’. Invert the selection and hit ‘Delete’
HK
Harron_K._Appleman
May 21, 2004
Suzanne,

Len’s method is much easier if you have Illustrator… an assumption I did not make.

=-= Harron =-=

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections