dave_milbut
May 19, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
(repost from the lounge)

From the "well, it’s new to me file":

Here’s a neat Windows Explorer trick I learned today, after using XP for over a year (it’s XP only, I tried it in Win2k and it doesn’t work):

Say you have a bunch of files – for instance, from a camera – all named like: 1234431.jpg 1234432.jpg 1234433.jpg 1234434.jpg, etc.

Select all of them in Windows XP Explorer. Right click the FIRST one and select "Rename" from the menu. Rename that 1 file, call it whatever you want… say, "Park.jpg". The remaining files will be renamed automatically to Park (1).jpg, Park (2).jpg, Park (3).jpg

Pretty cool from where I’m sitting.

Happy Photoshopping!

dave

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

RM
Rick Moore
May 19, 2004
It’s my favorite renamer because you don’t have to open another program. Another tip – you can name the first file Park (1). jpg, then you don’t have a name in the list without the ().
DM
dave_milbut
May 19, 2004
cool derrick!

a key shortcut for xp & 2k: crtl-shift-esc brings up the task manager.
RM
Rick Moore
May 19, 2004
I like that one, Dave. More XP vs. 2000 coolness –

In XP when you copy files from a CD the read-only attribute is stripped off the copies, so you never have to do this manually

If you need to email someone a quick view of large images, the Send To > Mail recipient in Explorer brings up a dialog box that allows XP to resize the images to an emailable size, it attaches the small files but doesn’t affect the originals, and doesn’t leave the temp files on your drive
CW
Colin_Walls
May 19, 2004
You can do this renaming trick from a File Open dialog too, I believe.
HK
Harron_K._Appleman
May 19, 2004
Select all of them in Windows XP Explorer. Right click the FIRST one and select "Rename" from the menu. Rename that 1 file, call it whatever you want… say, "Park.jpg". The remaining files will be renamed automatically to Park (1).jpg, Park (2).jpg, Park (3).jpg

Pretty cool from where I’m sitting.

But imagine how much cooler this would be if all the files got renamed ‘park.jpg.’ Now that would be amazing.

OK. Never mind.
MM
Mac_McDougald
May 20, 2004
But imagine how much cooler this would be if all the files got renamed ‘park.jpg.’ Now that would be amazing.

It really would be amazing, as no OS will do this, as two files in a directory cannot have the exact same name.

Mac
CW
Colin_Walls
May 20, 2004
Mac

It really would be amazing, as no OS will do this, as two files in a directory cannot have the exact same name

I think this was Harron’s little joke …

Actually, until recent years, it was common to support multiple files with the same name in the same directory in a number of OSes. A version number was the additional qualifier to make each one unique.
HK
Harron_K._Appleman
May 20, 2004
I think Mac forgot to take his funny pill yesterday. And, I admit it, I have a twisted sense of humor.

=-= Harron =-=
MM
Mac_McDougald
May 20, 2004
I think Mac forgot to take his funny pill yesterday.

Took a double dose today 🙂

M
CP
Cory Pollard
Jun 19, 2004
that’s a realy cool and time saving tip!
Thanks
DM
dave_milbut
Jun 19, 2004
you’re welcome cory.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections