EA
Posted By
Elizabeth_A_Hindman-Bell
May 18, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I recently upgraded from 7.1 to CS. I have a number of small jpg files (250-350 KB)files which show up as large files (2.5-3.5M) when opened in Photoshop CS. In other words, when I view the file using windows XP file browser they are small files (which they should be) but when I open them with Photoshop CS they are quite large
When I look at the Image/Image Size, in Photoshop CS, for the file the dimentions are quite large. Is there something in Preferences which might make these files resasmple at a larger dimension? I used another editing program to open these files to see what happened and they came in at the correct size.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DM
dave_milbut
May 18, 2004
jpg compresses files. photoshop needs to decompress them before working on them. that could be what you’re seeing. remember if you re-save a jpg, you’re degrading it because jpg uses a "lossy" compression algorithm to save the files – it literally throws data away. always do all your work in a format like psd that doesn’t discard data, and only save to a jpg as a final step.
MM
Mac_McDougald
May 18, 2004
See Dave’s post.

PS 7 shows them the same, perhaps you just never noticed.

When you open a JPEG, PS reports actual pixel dimension size uncompressed, ala TIFF format, and NOT the actual compressed size on disk.

Mac

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections