Posted By
Asker of Questions
Mar 31, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello;
I am producing a memorial card and I need an image of my bud to use. I am trying to edit an image acquired by scanner at 1200 dpi. But the image isn’t the best of quality and everything I do results in a poor print.

Would anybody like to give it a try for me?

I’ve been using PS6 and have limited experience so I’m not surprised I’m not getting the best print possible.

The image is at http://members.shaw.ca/lowend/images/1200dpikev.jpg and is 1500 pixels x 2093 pixels and is 9mb in it’s present state. I plan on removing the background and resize to approx 2in. x 3in.with a gradient overlay for the background, framed in black as in
http://members.shaw.ca/lowend/images/kevin7.jpg. When I print this image it appears quite grainy. I am printing to a laser color printer at 1200 x 1200 dpi ( I believe).

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Glen

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

C
Caitlin
Mar 31, 2005
"Asker of Questions" wrote in message
Hello;
I am producing a memorial card and I need an image of my bud to use. I am trying to edit an image acquired by scanner at 1200 dpi. But the image isn’t
the best of quality and everything I do results in a poor print.

I’ve been using PS6 and have limited experience so I’m not surprised I’m not
getting the best print possible.

The image is at http://members.shaw.ca/lowend/images/1200dpikev.jpg and is 1500 pixels x 2093 pixels and is 9mb in it’s present state. I plan on removing the background and resize to approx 2in. x 3in.with a gradient overlay for the background, framed in black as in
http://members.shaw.ca/lowend/images/kevin7.jpg. When I print this image it
appears quite grainy. I am printing to a laser color printer at 1200 x 1200
dpi ( I believe).

Glen

Glen, what is the format of the photo you are scanning from? The scan does look EXTREMELY soft. Even with a lot of unsharp mask it is not looking too good.

Normally you shouldn’t have to scan a print at anything like 1200ppi – prints only have a resolution of about 300, so at the very most you’d want to scan at 600.

Have you printed photos on your laser printer successfully before? Colour laser printers commonly don’t produce very good photos, so it may just be the printer that’s the problem. A high quality inkjet will get you a much better result.

What filters/editing are you doing to the image before printing it, that might be causing the grain? In your soft original grain is the furthest from your problem!
CF
Craig Flory
Mar 31, 2005
Hi Glen;
I did a version of the image and like the result. I didn’t do it quite
the way you were looking for but more as an alternative. If you would like please e-mail me at and I’ll send it to you.

As for the size you wanted. I am a professional portrait photog.
and never ever scan anything higher than 300 ppi. ( it is ppi ( pixels per inch)
with photos and not dpi ( dots per inch). With photos I have printed at the color lab… I save at 250 ppi in a flattened .jpg at full resolution. I ftp my
images to the lab over the internet.

The Unsharp mask can be used succesfully if a layer mask is then
used and only the important facial features are left with the result. Dupe the
layer & Run the unsharp mask at : 20% / radius 50 / & threshold 0. Now add a layer mask and hide all. Now with the brush tool and the foreground color white … paint in the sharpening on the eyes, eyebrows, lips and ear.

I hope this helps.

Craig
B
Broga
Mar 31, 2005
It’s been resized it as a low quality jpeg for display on the web which doesn’t help You’d need to see the original

www.micromountain.com
"Caitlin" wrote in message
"Asker of Questions" > Glen, what is the format of the photo you are scanning from? The scan does look EXTREMELY soft. Even with a lot of unsharp mask it is not looking too good.
AO
Asker of Questions
Mar 31, 2005
Thanks all for the help and tips, this place has always been helpful to me.

You rock
Glen
B
Broga
Mar 31, 2005
When you’re reducing the size of your image to 2 inches by 3 inches are you using Image>Image size.

If so are you increasing the number of pixels per inch in the Document size resolution dialogue box or are you leaving it at it’s default value (probably 72) ??

I’ve had a quick go at improving the quality of your jpeg but you’ll have to send me your e-mail address if you want a copy.

www.micromountain.com

"Asker of Questions" wrote in message
Hello;
I am producing a memorial card and I need an image of my bud to use. I am trying to edit an image acquired by scanner at 1200 dpi. But the image isn’t
the best of quality and everything I do results in a poor print.

I’ve been using PS6 and have limited experience so I’m not surprised I’m not
getting the best print possible.

http://members.shaw.ca/lowend/images/kevin7.jpg. When I print this image it
appears quite grainy. I am printing to a laser color printer at 1200 x 1200
dpi ( I believe).

Glen

AO
Asker of Questions
Mar 31, 2005
In answer to the questions posted to this thread…

I now understand that the photo was scanned at the wrong res.I didn’t do the scan, and have never used a scanner.

Once I got the scan I extracted the background out, adjusted the levels, contrast and brightness. then slightly blurred it, then resized it. I then unsharp mask. The blur, resize and sharpen mask technique was something I learned in a lesson some time ago. I then added the gradient and black frame.

My laser printer is supposed to print pictures that’s why I bought it, as well as cost per print and ink. When I made comparisions the laser printed as well as my inkjet.

I admit I only dabble with graphics and aspire to more. Time isn’t always my friend, someday I’ll turn that around.

Thanks again you all.
Glen
AO
Asker of Questions
Apr 2, 2005
Thanks to all who helped.

alt.graphics.photoshop rocks
Glen

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections