Posted By
Patrick_Hield
May 17, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi there —

I think I am overlooking something obvious here…I have scanned a few images at 200dpi, and want to save them as JPGs and GIFs. When I save them via Save for Web, the images’ dimensions grow quite a bit. I was under the impression that I could save an image via Save for Wee, and image resolution would be reduced to 72ppi, while the actual image dimensions would remain at their original size. What am I doing wrong??

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

L
LenHewitt
May 17, 2004
Save for web removes all meta-data. That means it removes resolution data and it removes dimensional data, because on the web all that matters is the number of pixels.
DM
Don_McCahill
May 17, 2004
To rephrase Len’s statement, it is the pixel dimensions that do not change with save for web, not the physical dimensions in inches.
PH
Patrick_Hield
May 18, 2004
Thanks for the replies. So if I understand you correctly, if I have, for example, a 100px x 100px image in Photoshop at 200ppi, and then save this as a gif via Save for Web, the physical dimensions of the image can indeed increase? Wouldn’t it make more sense that the resulting image would have smaller dimensions?
HK
Harron_K._Appleman
May 18, 2004
Patrick,

With Save For Web (SFW), a 100 x 100 pixel image will be saved as a 100 x 100 pixel image… unless you enter new values under the Image Size tab in the SFW dialog.

The 200ppi number is irrelevant.

You’ll notice the Image Size tab in SFW will let you change size by entering new pixel dimensions directly or as a percentage. There is nothing about ppi. It is, again, irrelevant for images intended to be viewed on a monitor.

=-= Harron =-=
RW
Rene_Walling
May 18, 2004
Wouldn’t it make more sense that the resulting image would have smaller dimensions?

No because browsers don’t care about inches or centimeters, they care about pixel counts.
MM
Mac_McDougald
May 18, 2004
Someone else has a page like this also, but see:
http://www.doogle.com/misc/web_ppi

Just another visual proof that ppi has no meaning in web browser.

Mac
DM
dave_milbut
May 19, 2004
Someone else has a page like this also,

🙂

top image is 72ppi, bottom is 300ppi, both are 800x600px.

<http://aikodude.tripod.com/difResTest.html>
MM
Mac_McDougald
May 19, 2004
Knew one of the regulars here had one, but couldn’t remember who…

Now, are your pix tagged, so folks can PROVE what the ppi is? Hmmmm ???
🙂

Mac
DM
dave_milbut
May 19, 2004
yesh.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections