MW
Posted By
Martin Waddell
Sep 29, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a large box of disordered negatives and I would like to scan them into photoshop to see what they are prior to scanning some of them with my newly acquired Plustek film scanner. I do not want the flatbed scanner set up to scan them as negatives as it is far too time consuming. I have already tried scanning the negatives into photoshop and used the image, adjustments, invert command and curves etc to adjust the colour. However this has not been very successful. and it is too time consuming. Is there a quick way of producing recognisable positives from negatives? It would be great if I could scan a lot in and used some action to convert them to acceptable positives.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

MR
Mike Russell
Sep 29, 2009
On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 16:16:25 +0100, Martin Waddell wrote:

I have a large box of disordered negatives and I would like to scan them into photoshop to see what they are prior to scanning some of them with my newly acquired Plustek film scanner. I do not want the flatbed scanner set up to scan them as negatives as it is far too time consuming. I have already tried scanning the negatives into photoshop and used the image, adjustments, invert command and curves etc to adjust the colour. However this has not been very successful. and it is too time consuming. Is there a quick way of producing recognisable positives from negatives? It would be great if I could scan a lot in and used some action to convert them to acceptable positives.

1) Scan (or otherwise digitize) one negative with pure clear and dark areas – a bit of leader will do. Also include a typical image in the scan.
2) Create a new action and click the record button.
3) Use the eyedropper tool in curves to set these as the black and white points.
4)Then invert the RGB curve so that it slants in the other direction.
5)The result will be a curve that converts a color negative to a positive.
6) adjust the middle of the RGB curve to improve the midtone contrast, and overall darkess.
7) Click the stop button, and tie the resulting action to a function key.

Now when you digitize a new set of negs, press the function key for a quick preview.

Mike Russell – http://www.curvemeister.com
J
Joe
Sep 29, 2009
"Martin Waddell" wrote:

I have a large box of disordered negatives and I would like to scan them into photoshop to see what they are prior to scanning some of them with my newly acquired Plustek film scanner. I do not want the flatbed scanner set up to scan them as negatives as it is far too time consuming. I have already tried scanning the negatives into photoshop and used the image, adjustments, invert command and curves etc to adjust the colour. However this has not been very successful. and it is too time consuming. Is there a

I haven’t done it myself, but I guess one of the quickest way is to take to KINKO and lets them do it for you with some feee. I guess because they have better equipment, they have the equipment setup for the job, and they have some one with the know how to do the job.

quick way of producing recognisable positives from negatives? It would be great if I could scan a lot in and used some action to convert them to acceptable positives.

Then why don’t you do it the way you like, then RECORD the action yourself?
MW
Martin Waddell
Sep 29, 2009
It works extremely well. Many thanks, Mike.
"Mike Russell" wrote in message
I have a large box of disordered negatives and I would like to scan them into photoshop to see what they are prior to scanning some of them with my
newly acquired Plustek film scanner. I do not want the flatbed scanner set up to scan them as negatives as it is far too time consuming. I have already tried scanning the negatives into photoshop and used the image, adjustments, invert command and curves etc to adjust the colour. However this has not been very successful. and it is too time consuming. Is there a
quick way of producing recognisable positives from negatives? It would be
great if I could scan a lot in and used some action to convert them to acceptable positives.

1) Scan (or otherwise digitize) one negative with pure clear and dark areas
– a bit of leader will do. Also include a typical image in the scan.
3) Use the eyedropper tool in curves to set these as the black and white points.
5)The result will be a curve that converts a color negative to a positive.
6) adjust the middle of the RGB curve to improve the midtone contrast, and overall darkess.
7) Click the stop button, and tie the resulting action to a function key.
Now when you digitize a new set of negs, press the function key for a quick
preview.

AB
Alan Browne
Sep 29, 2009
Mike Russell wrote:

1) Scan (or otherwise digitize) one negative with pure clear and dark areas – a bit of leader will do. Also include a typical image in the scan.

And just how does that remove the orange mask from color negatives?
MR
Mike Russell
Sep 30, 2009
On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 16:46:48 -0400, Alan Browne wrote:

Mike Russell wrote:

The white eyedropper maps the orange mask to white, removing the mask – inverting the RGB curve then inverts the negative. Other methods that use auto levels will fail if the image does not contain pure white or black

At the bottom of this page there is a more complete description: http://curvemeister.com/tutorials/what_ails_you/index.htm
AB
Alan Browne
Sep 30, 2009
Mike Russell wrote:
On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 16:46:48 -0400, Alan Browne wrote:

Mike Russell wrote:

The white eyedropper maps the orange mask to white, removing the mask – inverting the RGB curve then inverts the negative. Other methods that use auto levels will fail if the image does not contain pure white or black
At the bottom of this page there is a more complete description: http://curvemeister.com/tutorials/what_ails_you/index.htm

Got it.
Interesting.

(I just use my scanner (10 frames at a time) [Nikon 9000ED]).

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections