Posted By
Nino Zeljko
Jul 1, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi,
I just started to play with Photoshop 6 a few days ago and changed a few pictures (from my digital camera) with some effects but when I open the folder containing them (Windows XP with folder settings ‘view as thumbnails’) I see them as a thumbnail of the original picture. I believe this is easy to correct but I do not know how. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Nino

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

S
Stephan
Jul 1, 2003
"Nino Zeljko" wrote in message
Hi,
I just started to play with Photoshop 6 a few days ago and changed a few pictures (from my digital camera) with some effects but when I open the folder containing them (Windows XP with folder settings ‘view as thumbnails’) I see them as a thumbnail of the original picture. I believe this is easy to correct but I do not know how. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Maybe you need to refresh your folder, try F5

Stephan
NZ
Nino Zeljko
Jul 1, 2003
No, it’s not that.

Nino

"Stephan" wrote in message
Hi,
I just started to play with Photoshop 6 a few days ago and changed a few pictures (from my digital camera) with some effects but when I open the folder containing them (Windows XP with folder settings ‘view as thumbnails’) I see them as a thumbnail of the original picture. I
believe
this is easy to correct but I do not know how. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Stephan

NZ
Nino Zeljko
Jul 2, 2003
It isn’t that. I believe that it has something to do with Photoshop because when I save the same files with Paint, windows generate good thumbnail.

Nino

"Lee" wrote in message
try deleting Thumbs.db and Desktop.ini in the folder you want updating
then
when you refresh it will rebuild the Thumbs.db file and you will see the new image in the thumbnail

Lee

No, it’s not that.

Nino

Hi,
I just started to play with Photoshop 6 a few days ago and changed a
few
pictures (from my digital camera) with some effects but when I open
the
folder containing them (Windows XP with folder settings ‘view as thumbnails’) I see them as a thumbnail of the original picture. I
believe
this is easy to correct but I do not know how. Any help is
appreciated.
Thanks.

Stephan

L
Lee
Jul 2, 2003
have you tried deleting the thumbs.db in photoshop dir?

It isn’t that. I believe that it has something to do with Photoshop because when I save the same files with Paint, windows generate good thumbnail.

Nino

"Lee" wrote in message
then
when you refresh it will rebuild the Thumbs.db file and you will see the new image in the thumbnail

Lee

No, it’s not that.

Nino

Hi,
I just started to play with Photoshop 6 a few days ago and changed
a
few
pictures (from my digital camera) with some effects but when I
open
the
folder containing them (Windows XP with folder settings ‘view as thumbnails’) I see them as a thumbnail of the original picture. I
believe
appreciated.
Thanks.

Stephan

NZ
Nino Zeljko
Jul 2, 2003
Yes, I did and everything’s the same. Thanks anyway.

Nino

"Lee" wrote in message

Nino

"Lee" wrote in message
then

Lee

No, it’s not that.

Nino

Hi,
I just started to play with Photoshop 6 a few days ago and
changed
a
few
open
the
folder containing them (Windows XP with folder settings ‘view as thumbnails’) I see them as a thumbnail of the original picture.
I
believe
appreciated.
Thanks.

Stephan

NZ
Nino Zeljko
Jul 2, 2003
I found the problem. Every time I made a change to the original picture I saved it with ‘Save As…’ under a different name and those pictures all had the same thumbnail (of the original picture). If I create a new image and copy-paste the changed picture into it, then it will have a new thumbnail and not the original picture’s. Thanks for trying to help.

Nino

Yes, I did and everything’s the same. Thanks anyway.

Nino

"Lee" wrote in message

It isn’t that. I believe that it has something to do with
Photoshop
because when I save the same files with Paint, windows generate good thumbnail.

Nino

"Lee" wrote in message
try deleting Thumbs.db and Desktop.ini in the folder you want
updating
then

Lee

No, it’s not that.

Nino

Hi,
I just started to play with Photoshop 6 a few days ago and
changed
a
few
open
the
folder containing them (Windows XP with folder settings ‘view
as
thumbnails’) I see them as a thumbnail of the original
picture.
I
believe
appreciated.
Thanks.

Stephan

NZ
Nino Zeljko
Jul 2, 2003
I found the problem. Every time I made a change to the original picture I saved it with ‘Save As…’ under a different name and those pictures all had the same thumbnail (of the original picture). If I create a new image and copy-paste the changed picture into it, then it will have a new thumbnail and not the original picture’s. Thanks for trying to help.

Nino

Nino

"winz" wrote in message
Hi,
I just started to play with Photoshop 6 a few days ago and changed a
few
pictures (from my digital camera) with some effects but when I open
the
believe
appreciated.
Thanks.

you could try turning off the `view as thunbnail` option, closing all
folders, then turning `view as thumbnail` option back on so as
to generate a new thumbnail.

HTH

Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.495 / Virus Database: 294 – Release Date: 30/06/03

S
saswss
Jul 2, 2003
In article <bdv4hi$u7u$>,
"Nino Zeljko" writes:

I do that all the time and have never had your problem. However, Windows XP does frequently screw up its thumbnail caches. When this happens, what you need to do is delete all the thumbs.db files. These are hidden system files, so you may need to turn on the folder option that allows you to see them. Ignore the warning that the world may come to an end if you delete them. XP will just regenerate the thumbs.db files the next time you open the folder.

Contrary to an earlier post, changing the folder viewing option from thumbnails to some other value and then back to thumbnails does not cause XP to regenerate the thumbs.db file.

To reduce the chances of XP getting confused, I would suggest that you never tell Photoshop to save thumbnails for file formats that XP understands, such as gif, jpg, and unlayered tifs. But always tell Photoshop to save thumbnails for file formats that XP does not understand, like psd.

Warren S. Sarle SAS Institute Inc. The opinions expressed here SAS Campus Drive are mine and not necessarily
(919) 677-8000 Cary, NC 27513, USA those of SAS Institute.
NZ
Nino Zeljko
Jul 3, 2003
Thank you for the advice.

Nino

"Warren Sarle" wrote in message
In article <bdv4hi$u7u$>,
"Nino Zeljko" writes:
I found the problem. Every time I made a change to the original
picture
I saved it with ‘Save As…’ under a different name and those pictures
all
had the same thumbnail (of the original picture). If I create a new
and copy-paste the changed picture into it, then it will have a new thumbnail and not the original picture’s. Thanks for trying to help.

I do that all the time and have never had your problem. However, Windows XP does frequently screw up its thumbnail caches. When this happens, what you need to do is delete all the thumbs.db files. These are hidden system files, so you may need to turn on the folder option that allows you to see them. Ignore the warning that the world may come to an end if you delete them. XP will just regenerate the thumbs.db files the next time you open the folder.
Contrary to an earlier post, changing the folder viewing option from thumbnails to some other value and then back to thumbnails does not cause XP to regenerate the thumbs.db file.

To reduce the chances of XP getting confused, I would suggest that you never tell Photoshop to save thumbnails for file formats that XP understands, such as gif, jpg, and unlayered tifs. But always tell Photoshop to save thumbnails for file formats that XP does not understand, like psd.

Warren S. Sarle SAS Institute Inc. The opinions expressed here SAS Campus Drive are mine and not necessarily
(919) 677-8000 Cary, NC 27513, USA those of SAS Institute.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections