CW
Posted By
Charles_Wolfe
May 16, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have been in the market for Photoshop 7 – anticipating that I could get an older version for less than CS would cost me, since I really do not need the ‘latest and greatest’ version. Besides, I can justify $300 or so, but not $600+ that a retail version of CS will set me back. I am trying to do the right thing and get an older LEGAL version of the sw.

However, trying to find out what are rip offs has not been easy. Sure, getting "PS CS Full Retail Version" for $20 or even $100 is pretty easy to figure out. But, there are LOTs of folks selling "OEM" versions, versions used as basis for an upgrade and versions you can only download from some unidentified web site. These offers are rampant on eBay,Amazon, and the various online pricing sites (e.g. PriceGrabber, NexTag). The Amazon and pricing site listings would seem to offer some level (apparently false) of authentication for these practices, soothing concerns from potential buyers and encouraging them to purchase, based on the Amazon et. al. reputation. The V7 offers of these types that eventually sell for $250 to $350 or so are not so easy to figure out.

I finally did find some threads discussing OEM versions and versions used by the original owner to upgrade on this forum. There are LOTs of V7 OEM packages for sale and, according to these threads there never was an OEM V7 produced. THAT (fact?) alone, would be very helpful to see on the Adobe site. Many of the remaining offers are from folks who upgraded to CS and are now selling their V7. Well, the thread also mentions that the license transfers to CS and the original owner would have to give up that license to sell the V7 ‘legally’. THAT fact would be helpful to see on the Adobe site (i.e. not in the context of a 122 page EULA that is in a half dozen languages. The fact that these offers now appear on Amazon

My plea is this: Adobe, I know that these onesies/twosies violations are less important to you than the Taiwan factories in the grand scheme of things, but, do your Users a service and publish simple guidelines for them to follow when purchasing from other-than-retail outlets.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

L
LenHewitt
May 16, 2004
Charles,

It’s easy:

1) For a 2nd hand version to be legal, you MUST be sold the original CD AND USER GUIDE and obtain a letter transferring the license from the original owner to yourself, and Adobe must be notified of the License transfer. The software must NOT have been previously used to upgrade to a later version.

2) ‘OEM’ versions are illegal. Period.
B
BobLevine
May 16, 2004
The rule is that if it seems too good to be true, it is. BTW, there were no OEM versions of Photoshop 7.

Bob
NK
Neil_Keller
May 17, 2004
I’ll make it even simpler — if it doesn’t come with an Adobe transfer of license (which transfer ALL rights to that particular licensed serial number to you), original disc(s) and manuals, buy yourself a 10-foot pole to separate the software from your wallet.
Neil
RL
roger_leale
May 18, 2004
Charles,
There are legal and unregistered versions of PS 6 available from reputable sources on E-bay for about $100 and the upgrade to CS costs about $170. This is less than your $300 limit. If you buy on E-bay CHECK the ratings of the seller first!
CW
Charles_Wolfe
May 18, 2004
Good advice! I noticed that many of those offering these ‘deals’ had NO track record.

BTW,I finally did make a purchase on eBay from someone with a huge record (some 2000+ sales and 99% positive rating) then got an email from them saying that their product may have not have been what was represented and they refunded the purchase price my PayPay account. So, it does pay to do as you suggest.

What really bothers me is that, for example, Amazon is an Adobe-authorized online reseller. That should inspire some confidence in purchases of Adobe products. But, now they have their "MarketPlace" where others can sell, as well. I have seen suspicious offers there, "V7 OEM" products(which, apparently were never produced by Adobe), among others and I think people are being ripped off there. Sure, it is not really Amazon, but many folks are vulnerable to this approach.

Thanks to all who have responded with info. Perhaps this thread can serve as an object lesson for those seeking this kind of info.
RT
Ronald_T_Miller
May 19, 2004
Here’s what I did: found an old full version for sale on ebay, with 3 or 4 days bidding time left. I emailed the seller and got the serial #. I then telephoned Adobe and found that the # had never been registered, so I could purchase it and register as the original owner. Got it for $42 including shipping.

Then I bought a new, legal upgrade for about $50. It took about 3 weeks to pull this off, but was very well worth it.
CW
Charles_Wolfe
May 19, 2004
Good Idea. Thanks.

Where did you find a legal upgrade for $50?

CW

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections