DD
Posted By
Dave Delaney
May 15, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Im planning on making a poster A0 size which works out at 1189mm x 841mm. Obviously this is gonna test my PC’s processing power quite a bit when Ive got a few layers. The question I had was does anyone know what document size would be ok to work with other than the full size. By this I mean could I get away with my document half the size and then blow up the end result to the A0 size or would people say you need to set the size to A0 and keep it at that?

Anyone help?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

B
BobLevine
May 15, 2004
If you work at half size you’ll need to double the resolution anyway and you’ll wind up with a file exactly the same size.

Talk to the printer and find out what resolution he needs. If this is being printed on an large format inkjet printer, 125 dpi should be plenty.

Bob
GH
Gernot_Hoffmann
May 16, 2004
Dave,

don´t design posters by PhS.
Make images by PhS and assemble the whole stuff by
PageMaker, InDesign or even Powerpoint.

A background image can be made by PhS with rather
low resolution, using anti-aliased text if the text
should be relevant as a graphics element (like curved
text, shadows etc.).

Once the DTP doc is ready then it can be exported as PDF. This is the preferred format for large format printing.

You can design in any size, e.g. A4,A3 ..
The PDF is scaleable. Of course one needs enough pixels
for single images, about 200..300 pixels per inch
for the printed size (with the exception of such a cloudy background which is nowadays much appreciated).

Best regards –Gernot Hoffmann
B
BobLevine
May 16, 2004
Gernot,

Normally your advice is dead on. This time IMO, it’s dead wrong.

Saving as PDF from Photoshop allows all text to remain live and any vector layers to also remain as vector. There’s simply no reason to design this anywhere else if the project doesn’t call for something supported only in another program.

Bob
RW
Rene_Walling
May 17, 2004
Robert,

Having files that are a manageable size for your machine is one pretty good reason (IMHO) to layout a poster in Quark or ID.

Wouldn’t touch Powerpoint for it though…
GH
Gernot_Hoffmann
May 17, 2004
Bob,

I´m sure that you wouldn´t design a poster by PhS.

Yes, text is retained as vector graphics in a PostScript workflow. But the text tool is rather unconvenient.
No, filled shapes (closed paths) are rastered with back- ground resolution, they are NOT true vector graphics in PhS.

The crucial question: is it possible do define the 1 sqm poster with low resolution (e.g. 72 dpi) in order to get a small file size AND to add layers for photos with high resolution (e.g. 300dpi) ?

I don´t know this, because I don´t design posters by PhS. But we are designing a 40-poster travelling exhibition
and here we need the full functionality of a DTP program,
e.g. masterpages, excellent typography, precise alignment,
placed high resolution images, often engravings.

B
BobLevine
May 17, 2004
I wouldn’t touch PowerPoint for this either. But I don’t see the point in worrying about file sizes when you’re going to print something. Output quality is all that matters.

As long as the file will fit on a CD, I don’t care how big it is. And how much file space do you think you’re going to save by placing the graphic in ID or Quark and adding text there?

I’ll stick to my guns on this. Photoshop is an excellent tool for posters that don’t require much in the way of vector work. And for something like that, I’d prefer Illustrator or Corel Draw to InDesign or Quark.

Bob
B
BobLevine
May 17, 2004
I´m sure that you wouldn´t design a poster by PhS.

Well, you’re wrong. I’ve done several that only required a photographic background and some text.

Defining the resolution as 72 dpi will result in any layer with raster data being 72 dpi. However, any vector layers or type layers will still retain those characteristics and be rasterized at whatever resolution the output device can handle when you save the file as PDF. So going to an imagesetter would give you a horrible looking photographic background with nice crisp text.

If you don’t believe me, try it yourself. Create a low res file, drag in a photo and then add some text. Save as PDF and open in Acrobat. Print the file.

Bob
GH
Gernot_Hoffmann
May 17, 2004
I´ve been clearly talking about a high-resolution image on a low-resolution background. Please don´t try to prove my ignorance by replies on questions which I didn´t ask.

"If you don’t believe me, try it yourself."
Why should I ? I thought it is so anyway, just asked for a confirmation.

Now some test results:
A printer test pattern with varying line widths is printed by pure black by a high end inkjet. Without Moiré I can print about 75lines per inch (75 lines, 75 gaps).
Now we need the necessary document resolution. In order to avoid mathematical discussions a test by PhS:
Which resolution shows the pattern up to 75lines per inch without Moiré in actual pixel view ?
One needs more than 400dpi.

This is the situation for printing engravings with ultimate accuracy. It would be hopeless to use such a huge resolution for the whole page ( 1 sqm = 40"x40" ).
For 200 dpi we have already 3*(40"*200)^2 Bytes = 200MB in RGB for one layer.

The huge file size is not avoidable, using PhS, even if the image should consume only a rather small area.

B
BobLevine
May 17, 2004
And if you take that image into another application to add the text, you’ll still have a huge file. As you say, it’s unavoidable.

Bob
RW
Rene_Walling
May 17, 2004
Unless the image does not cover the entire area of the poster.

Bob, my point was just that _if_ you don’t have the faster machine on earth, then using layout software like Quark or ID does make sense as it cuts down the size of your working file.

Also, if you don’t use any Photoshop specific effects on your layers, it saves you having a huge multiple layer file that may take forever to process.

IMHO, it’s a question of productivity vs feasability, sure you can do it, but are you as productive as you can be with the measn at your disposal. That’s the real question.

FWIW, I’ve done posters and murals both ways, using layout software and using PS exclusively.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections