Dual Xeon vs Petium 4 (Photoshop Performance)

NG
Posted By
nospam_google
May 14, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have a hard time finding benchmarks for this comparison for Photoshop, so I would like to know your experience.

What is the performance increase when running Dual Xeon machine? Would Photoshop use its dual power? Can it be close to 2x faster? Or is it just 5%-10% faster.

To make this more specific, do you think that

– Intel Pentium 4 Processor, 3.4GHz, 512K / 800 Front Side Bus is slower or faster than
– Dual Intel Xeon Processor, 2.8GHz, 512K Cache, 533MHz Front Side Bus ???

Dual Xeon at this configuration is even more expensive than single Pentium 4, but can it outperform it in Photoshop? I am speaking about general tools and filters for Photoshop, such a unsharp mask, transform, or magic wand.

I will use this system for working with 700MB scans with several layers. I will be getting 4 GB of RAM and 15k SCSI HDDs.

Thanks for your input!
Radim Schreiber

P.S.: if you have links to benchmarks, I would appreciate if you can post them.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

NG
nospam_google
May 17, 2004
On Adobe website, they say that in Adobe Photoshop supports multiprocessors and in some operations it uses multiprocessor power significantly.

What are the key features / operations that Photoshop uses additional processor (let say Xeon or Opteron)?

Speaking about Windows XP / 2000 Pro, PS 7 or CS.

thanks
Radim

(Radim Schreiber) wrote in message news:…
I have a hard time finding benchmarks for this comparison for Photoshop, so I would like to know your experience.

What is the performance increase when running Dual Xeon machine? Would Photoshop use its dual power? Can it be close to 2x faster? Or is it just 5%-10% faster.

To make this more specific, do you think that

– Intel Pentium 4 Processor, 3.4GHz, 512K / 800 Front Side Bus is slower or faster than
– Dual Intel Xeon Processor, 2.8GHz, 512K Cache, 533MHz Front Side Bus ???

Dual Xeon at this configuration is even more expensive than single Pentium 4, but can it outperform it in Photoshop? I am speaking about general tools and filters for Photoshop, such a unsharp mask, transform, or magic wand.

I will use this system for working with 700MB scans with several layers. I will be getting 4 GB of RAM and 15k SCSI HDDs.
Thanks for your input!
Radim Schreiber

P.S.: if you have links to benchmarks, I would appreciate if you can post them.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections