A
Posted By
APR
Apr 12, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi All, some experienced assistance required.

I have a 13 year old son who wants to use Photoshop. He has suggested he could download Gimp, but would prefer Photoshop as he has used it at school.

I have googled Photoshop and am now fairly confused regarding what it is I should be looking at. Can any of you experienced and knowledgeable people give me a rundown on the various versions of Photoshop that would suit a teenager who would like to do graphic arts type editing, and steer me towards what version should do all he is likely to want and is not going to cost the earth to buy legitimately.

With Thanks.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

J
jimbok
Apr 12, 2009
On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 12:46:36 +1000, "APR"
wrote:

I have a 13 year old son who wants to use Photoshop. He has suggested he could download Gimp, but would prefer Photoshop as he has used it at school.

I would suggest Elements for now. Instead of buying a copy, download a free trial copy of Photoshop Elements from Adobe’s website. Then, if he likes it you can buy a copy.
If he’s not happy with elements then buy (or you can also download a free trial from Adobe) an educational copy of CS4. The educational copy is full Photoshop with no limitations. A school ID is required in order to buy the educational copy, but it is only about half the price of a retail version.

jimbok
TC
tony cooper
Apr 12, 2009
wrote:

I have googled Photoshop and am now fairly confused regarding what it is I should be looking at. Can any of you experienced and knowledgeable people give me a rundown on the various versions of Photoshop that would suit a teenager who would like to do graphic arts type editing, and steer me towards what version should do all he is likely to want and is not going to cost the earth to buy legitimately.

If he’s used it at school, it would be a simple thing to ask him to look on the screen and report to you what version of Photoshop that he’s using. For the amount of money that is involved, it would be worth it to me to phone or talk to the teacher of whatever class he’s taking and get his/her opinion on what program you should choose. The teacher will know your son’s proficiency level and what type of work he’ll be doing with whatever he gets.

If he is using a full version of Photoshop (Version x or CSx), then Gimp would be a reasonable solution for you. It’s free, but it’s close to the full version. It *will* cost you the earth to purchase a full version of Photoshop. The school gets a discounted price that you don’t qualify for unless you are a teacher, a student, or affiliated with a school.

If he’s using Elements (also an Adobe product), you can get him that program for a reasonable price. You can download a trial version of Elements and let your son use it for the trial period to see if what he wants to do can be accomplished with Elements.

Not to nitpick, because I understand that you are working with limited information, but "graphic arts type editing" is not really a good description. The term "graphic arts" usually means to create artwork. The full program is usually used for that. "Editing" usually means post-processing of photographs. Elements would be sufficient for that.

One last point, you should be proud of your son. Many 13 year-olds would have already acquired a bootleg version. Your son is evidently one who doesn’t believe in stealing software.

Tony Cooper – Orlando, Florida
TC
tony cooper
Apr 12, 2009
On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 23:43:48 -0400, jimbok
wrote:

wrote:

I would suggest Elements for now. Instead of buying a copy, download a free trial copy of Photoshop Elements from Adobe’s website. Then, if he likes it you can buy a copy.
If he’s not happy with elements then buy (or you can also download a free trial from Adobe) an educational copy of CS4. The educational copy is full Photoshop with no limitations. A school ID is required in order to buy the educational copy, but it is only about half the price of a retail version.
Can he purchase an educational copy? The son is a student, but the father isn’t. Doesn’t the purchase of an educational version require that the purchaser (the name on the credit card) be the same as the name of student on the verification form?

I’m really not sure.

MR
Mike Russell
Apr 12, 2009
On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 23:43:48 -0400, jimbok wrote:

wrote:

I second the vote for Elements. It’s a very powerful program, and very similar to Photoshop’s tools and layers.

Mike Russell – http://www.curvemeister.com
J
jimbok
Apr 12, 2009
On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 23:58:40 -0400, tony cooper
wrote:

Can he purchase an educational copy? The son is a student, but the father isn’t. Doesn’t the purchase of an educational version require that the purchaser (the name on the credit card) be the same as the name of student on the verification form?

Yes he can. The student has to provide a student ID with school name, etc. That ID is allegedly verified with the school to prove that he is a student there.
Who actually pays for it is immaterial.

jimbok
J
Joe
Apr 12, 2009
"APR" wrote:

With Thanks.

Photoshop would fit for both young and old, and the younger, newer the better cuz everything is new, nothing to compare to.

Photoshop may be little too expensive for messing around, but good for investment. I am Photoshop user and one of my grandkids liked to play with it when she was 11-12 years old, now she is 2nd years in college and working for a company as graphic designer (her univercity is around 600 miles from the company so she works using internet).

I wouldn’t care for Grimp, but may start with Photoshop Element. And it would be a big help for him if you know how to use Photoshop. I didn’t teach my grandkids but they learned from watching me doing, and sometime they asked me to work on their photos. I am a professional photographer so all my grandchildren have digital camera when they were little.
AM
Andrew Morton
Apr 14, 2009
APR wrote:

*Some* versions of Wacom tablets come with a previous version of Photoshop Elements, e.g.

http://www.amazon.com/Bamboo-Small-Tablet-Graphics-Software/ dp/B000V9NU2A/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1 239695225&sr=8-6

A pen tablet can make using PS easier, especially for drawing-type actions, although it can take a few hours to get used to it.

Andrew
A
ahall
Apr 14, 2009
tony cooper writes:

tony> On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 23:43:48 -0400, jimbok
wrote:

wrote>

tony> Can he purchase an educational copy? The son is a student, but the tony> father isn’t. Doesn’t the purchase of an educational version require tony> that the purchaser (the name on the credit card) be the same as the tony> name of student on the verification form?

tony> I’m really not sure.

I do not think so. I bought quite a bit of software at educational prices with my credit card for my college kids.

Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in comp.graphics.apps.photoshop…)
K
Kabuki
Apr 15, 2009
"Andrew Morton" wrote in message
APR wrote:

*Some* versions of Wacom tablets come with a previous version of Photoshop Elements, e.g.

http://www.amazon.com/Bamboo-Small-Tablet-Graphics-Software/ dp/B000V9NU2A/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1 239695225&sr=8-6

A pen tablet can make using PS easier, especially for drawing-type actions, although it can take a few hours to get used to it.
Andrew

If you opt for the newest PS CS4 educational version be aware it takes a powerful comp, and hi-end gaming type video card to run it so you might have to upgrade the comp too making it even more $$
TC
tony cooper
Apr 15, 2009
On Wed, 15 Apr 2009 17:52:15 -0400, "Kabuki"
wrote:

APR wrote:

Andrew

If you opt for the newest PS CS4 educational version be aware it takes a powerful comp, and hi-end gaming type video card to run it so you might have to upgrade the comp too making it even more $$
I’m running CS4 successfully for my needs with a rather ordinary computer and no special video card.

J
Joe
Apr 15, 2009
"Kabuki" wrote:

APR wrote:

Andrew

I don’t have CS4 and don’t have powerful hi-end gaming type of video card, but I am pretty sure you are dreaming <bg>

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections