BD
Posted By
Bobby Dogg
Mar 8, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m using a Nikon Coolscan IV with Nikon Scan 3 software into PS. I have preferences in the Nikon at Adobe 1998 which is what I use in PS

But the scans import into PS with far greater colour intensity (saturation) than they appear on screen in the Nikon preview and with a red cast

Can anyone help me get a more accurate representation in the Nikon please

BD

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

C
Canopus
Mar 9, 2005
"Bobby Dogg" wrote in message
I’m using a Nikon Coolscan IV with Nikon Scan 3 software into PS. I have preferences in the Nikon at Adobe 1998 which is what I use in PS
But the scans import into PS with far greater colour intensity
(saturation)
than they appear on screen in the Nikon preview and with a red cast
BD

Errr…you do realise that this is a Paint Shop Pro newsgroup? You may find that asking questions about PS may be better answered in a PS newsgroup.

Rob
MR
Mike Russell
Mar 9, 2005
Bobby Dogg wrote:

Nikon Scan uses 3 profiles:

1) the "scan" profile, which is a generic profile selected automatically based on your scanner model number. It’s probably very difficult to change this, although system changes on both Mac and Windows since NS3 came out do allow a profile to be attached to a specific scanner, and this could be a problem.

2) the edit profile, which is the embedded profile added to all images. This does not affect scanner preview, but it will afffect the appearance of the image on screen when the image is opened in Photoshop.

3) the monitor profile.

If you have specified Adobe RGB as your display profile in either Photoshop or Nikon Scan, that could explain why things are awry. This is a fairly major error, and you sound reasonably adept, so let’s assume you have not done this.

If you have correctly set Adobe RGB as your embedded profile, a good place to start is with the monitor profile. Make sure that Photoshop and Nikon Scan both specify the same display profile. This does not happen automatically, and is therefore a likely source of the error.

If you are using third party software or hardware to calibrate your monitor, this is a very likely source of the problem.

But the scans import into PS with far greater colour intensity (saturation) than they appear on screen in the Nikon preview and with a red cast

This could be the result of double profiling, of interpreting an sRGB scan as an Adobe RGB one, or something else.

Verify that you have Adobe RGB specified as the embedded profile only, and that Photoshop and Nikon scan have the same display profile specified. Usually this is a matter of pointing your Nikon Scan software to the file named "Adobe Monoitor Settings.icm". If you have used third party software to calibrate your monitor, it may be that Photoshop ant/or Nikon scan are configured with the incorrect display profile.

It’s a good idea also to make sure Photoshop is set up reasonably. Bring up the gradient tool and make sure the gradient is neutral. This will eliminate any gross errors in your display setup. Then go to the color settings and make sure that Adobe RGB is indeed your working RGB space, and that you have the "Ask when Opening" option checked in the event of a color profile mismatch.

Your choice of Adobe 98 as a working space makes me think you are on windows, but it would help to know for sure whether you are on Windows, OSX, or an older Mac OS, because each OS has its own set of problems. Early versions of OSX, in particular, have serious problems that are ironed out in later versions.

Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections