R
Posted By
Ramon
Mar 4, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I recently realized that the TIFF file format is, in a sense, predecessor to PDF. Both formats are multi-page, both are owned by Adobe, etc.

My application could take advantage of the ability to save private data in TIFF files.

Is that feature possible and defined?

TIA,

-RFH

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

R
Ramon
Mar 4, 2009
On Mar 4, 1:24 am, Ramon F Herrera wrote:
I recently realized that the TIFF file format is, in a sense, predecessor to PDF. Both formats are multi-page, both are owned by Adobe, etc.

My application could take advantage of the ability to save private data in TIFF files.

TIA,

-RFH

A little Googling led me to TIFF private tags. I guess the question becomes, how can I add my private data? The only TIFF library that I know is libtiff. Can I use it to write/read my private data?

TIA,

-Ramon
I
ImageAnalyst
Mar 5, 2009
On Mar 4, 12:24 am, Ramon F Herrera wrote:

TIA,

-RFH
———————————————————— ————————— RFH:
I know for a fact that PDF is now (as of within the past year) an ISO standard (ISO 32000-1) and not a proprietary format anymore. (http:// www.iso.org/iso/pressrelease.htm?refid=Ref1141) That’s why you’re seeing so many PDF programs out there now. I believe TIFF was turned over by HP and Adobe quite some time ago – it’s ISO 12639:2004. Or, I suppose you could buy the standard at iso.org.

You can find specifications for hundreds of file formats here: http://www.wotsit.org/
if you’re interested in writing your own files. Otherwise, you can buy a library that will simplify that for you.
Regards,
ImageAnalyst
RC
R C
Mar 5, 2009
A little Googling led me to TIFF private tags. I guess the question becomes, how can I add my private data? The only TIFF library that I know is libtiff. Can I use it to write/read my private data?

Yes.
Look at the "tags" example in the "contrib" folder. But if the same information has already been added by other companies, use the same tag they use.
Good luck.
A
artspunk
Mar 14, 2009
That’s a great link! (wotsit). Thank you for sharing that. I am working on a paint program, and that will be really helpful in going beyond the basic file formats that come with GDI+/WPF.

"ImageAnalyst" wrote in message
On Mar 4, 12:24 am, Ramon F Herrera wrote:

TIA,

-RFH
———————————————————— ————————— RFH:
I know for a fact that PDF is now (as of within the past year) an ISO standard (ISO 32000-1) and not a proprietary format anymore. (http:// www.iso.org/iso/pressrelease.htm?refid=Ref1141) That’s why you’re seeing so many PDF programs out there now. I believe TIFF was turned over by HP and Adobe quite some time ago – it’s ISO 12639:2004. Or, I suppose you could buy the standard at iso.org.

You can find specifications for hundreds of file formats here: http://www.wotsit.org/
if you’re interested in writing your own files. Otherwise, you can buy a library that will simplify that for you.
Regards,
ImageAnalyst
R
Ramon
Mar 16, 2009
On Mar 4, 1:33 am, Ramon F Herrera wrote:
On Mar 4, 1:24 am, Ramon F Herrera wrote:

TIA,

-RFH

TIA,

-Ramon

Thanks to everyone for they assistance. I have a related request:

Where can I find a TIFF file(s) that contains private tags? I would like to take a look at them.

Thanks,

-RFH

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections