R
Posted By
Rick
Mar 3, 2009
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My mouse is playing up and so I’m looking for a new right-hand drive, hardwired mouse, but I’m unsure what to go for.

The mouse that’s dying is a Logitech optical mouse and isn’t that old. It also didn’t get any heavy use like gaming, etc. so doesn’t give me much confidence in the quality of Logitech mouse’s at the moment.

Looking around at mouse’s that are reasonably priced, it seems that it’s only really between the following (there are others like Razer, but they are more expensive):
Logitech MX518
Logitech G5
Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0

The Microsoft mouse is the best value for money, however I used to use the original version of it and although it always felt comfortable in the hand, when using it, it always felt like I was on top of the mouse pushing it around, as opposed to it feeling natural. I suppose it depends on individual style, but I like to feel the mouse between the thumb and the ring finger. With the original intellimouse, it is ‘limpet’ shaped, so you don’t really get a good feel of the mouse between those fingers. Also, the scroll wheel felt too slippery. Possibly this has changed with the Intellimouse Explorer 3.0?

So… I forgot what the questions was now. OK I remember. Anyone recommend any decent mouse’s?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

D
DRS
Mar 3, 2009
"Ricky H" wrote in message

[…]

Looking around at mouse’s that are reasonably priced, it seems that it’s only really between the following (there are others like Razer, but they are more expensive):
Logitech MX518
Logitech G5

I have the G5. I like the fact that I can adjust its weight as well as its responsiveness. It’s the best corded mouse I’ve had.
J
JD
Mar 3, 2009
Ricky H wrote:
My mouse is playing up and so I’m looking for a new right-hand drive, hardwired mouse, but I’m unsure what to go for.

The mouse that’s dying is a Logitech optical mouse and isn’t that old. It also didn’t get any heavy use like gaming, etc. so doesn’t give me much confidence in the quality of Logitech mouse’s at the moment.
Logitech MX518
Logitech G5

The Microsoft mouse is the best value for money, however I used to use the original version of it and although it always felt comfortable in the hand, when using it, it always felt like I was on top of the mouse pushing it around, as opposed to it feeling natural. I suppose it depends on individual style, but I like to feel the mouse between the thumb and the ring finger. With the original intellimouse, it is ‘limpet’ shaped, so you don’t really get a good feel of the mouse between those fingers. Also, the scroll wheel felt too slippery. Possibly this has changed with the Intellimouse Explorer 3.0?
So… I forgot what the questions was now. OK I remember. Anyone recommend any decent mouse’s?

I use a Logitech – LX3 Optical Mouse. Nothing fancy but it works.

JD..
CJ
C J Campbell
Mar 3, 2009
On 2009-03-03 04:51:55 -0800, "Ricky H" said:

Logitech MX518
Logitech G5

I use the Microsoft Bluetooth Notebook Mouse 5000. Reasonable resolution and fits naturally between thumb and ring finger. Scroll wheel is a little stiff, in my opinion.

Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor
SP
Stefan Patric
Mar 3, 2009
On Tue, 03 Mar 2009 12:51:55 +0000, Ricky H wrote:

Logitech MX518
Logitech G5

[snip]

What is your mouse doing that makes you think it’s bad? Case in point: My current mouse, a generic two-button optical with a wheel, started doing crazy things shortly after I bought it about 4 years ago. The cursor would jump across the screen when I only slightly moved the mouse or wouldn’t move at all or move only slightly when I moved the mouse a large distance. I cleaned the optical window and that helped a little, but didn’t correct the overall problems. I figured it was bad. I just got a lemon.

To make a long story short, while at the computer store looking for a new mouse, I saw a mouse pad specifically designed for optical mouses. (I was still using the old foam mouse pad with a picture on it that I got for the previous mouse, a mechanical one.) This optical pad had a grid of thin, very closely spaced, white perpendicular lines on it. It was only $5. So, I bought it to test. Mouse problem solved. And I haven’t had any problems with it since.

Stef
B
Bruce
Mar 3, 2009
"Ricky H" wrote:

<snip>

I use a trackball rather than a mouse. It better suits the way I use a computer. I particularly like being able to use the accurate pointing tool then separately click without any risk of moving the pointer – you just don’t touch the ball. That’s quite difficult to ensure with a traditional mouse because, as you click, the pointer tends to move.

Anyway, you’re not going to like my recommendation, because it is a Logitech product – the Marble Mouse, a.k.a. trackball:

http://tinyurl.com/cfo762
or:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-904368-0914-Marble-Mouse/dp /B00005QKHF
D
Dave
Mar 3, 2009
On Tue, 3 Mar 2009 12:51:55 -0000, "Ricky H" wrote:

I use a black one with gray scroll wheel. Quite handy and fast.

Dave
KM
Kennedy McEwen
Mar 3, 2009
In article , Ricky H
writes
IME the first thing to do when looking at a new mouse is to compare where the sensor is positioned relative to where you hold the mouse you know and love.

Even a difference of 5-10mm can make the mouse seem cumbersome and inaccurate to use.

This is far more significant than where you actually hold the mouse itself, in my experience. If the sensor is some distance from under the first knuckle of my middle finger then I find it difficult to use.

YMMV of course – that is why different designs survive in the market. —
Kennedy
Yes, Socrates himself is particularly missed;
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he’s pissed.
Python Philosophers (replace ‘nospam’ with ‘kennedym’ when replying)
R
Rick
Mar 3, 2009
"Stefan Patric" wrote in message

What is your mouse doing that makes you think it’s bad? Case in point: My current mouse, a generic two-button optical with a wheel, started doing crazy things shortly after I bought it about 4 years ago. The cursor would jump across the screen when I only slightly moved the mouse or wouldn’t move at all or move only slightly when I moved the mouse a large distance. I cleaned the optical window and that helped a little, but didn’t correct the overall problems. I figured it was bad. I just got a lemon.

To make a long story short, while at the computer store looking for a new mouse, I saw a mouse pad specifically designed for optical mouses. (I was still using the old foam mouse pad with a picture on it that I got for the previous mouse, a mechanical one.) This optical pad had a grid of thin, very closely spaced, white perpendicular lines on it. It was only $5. So, I bought it to test. Mouse problem solved. And I haven’t had any problems with it since.

Cheers for the advise. With mine though, it’s the left mouse button that’s on it’s way out.
R
Rick
Mar 4, 2009
"DRS" wrote in message

Logitech MX518
Logitech G5

I have the G5. I like the fact that I can adjust its weight as well as its responsiveness. It’s the best corded mouse I’ve had.

Yeah, that’s looking the best of the bunch at the moment (would prefer it if it was all black though).
R
Rick
Mar 4, 2009
"Bruce" wrote in message

<snip>

So… I forgot what the questions was now. OK I remember. Anyone recommend
any decent mouse’s?

I use a trackball rather than a mouse. It better suits the way I use a computer. I particularly like being able to use the accurate pointing tool then separately click without any risk of moving the pointer – you just don’t touch the ball. That’s quite difficult to ensure with a traditional mouse because, as you click, the pointer tends to move.
Anyway, you’re not going to like my recommendation, because it is a Logitech product – the Marble Mouse, a.k.a. trackball:

I must admit they did catch my eye and I quite like the idea of trackballs (more so the finger ones than the thumb ones), but I’m not sure whether I would be able to get used to it, especially as I use a mouse at work. Do you ever miss a mouse for doing certain things?
S
SteveB
Mar 4, 2009
"Ricky H" wrote in message

Logitech MX518
Logitech G5

No specific ones, just a roller ball. And now I’ve tried the cordless mice, maybe a cordless rollerball?

Steve
O
Ofnuts
Mar 4, 2009
Ricky H wrote:

I’ve got a quite cheap Logitech RX1000 and everyone in the 4-people household thinks it’s the best mouse we ever had.

Since this is a photo group, have you looked at graphic tablets for photo work?

Bertrand
TC
tony cooper
Mar 4, 2009
On Wed, 4 Mar 2009 00:11:56 -0000, "Ricky H" wrote:

"Bruce" wrote in message

<snip>

So… I forgot what the questions was now. OK I remember. Anyone recommend
any decent mouse’s?

I must admit they did catch my eye and I quite like the idea of trackballs (more so the finger ones than the thumb ones), but I’m not sure whether I would be able to get used to it, especially as I use a mouse at work. Do you ever miss a mouse for doing certain things?

I use both a trackball and a corded mouse, and a tablet. The tablet’s fairly new.

I’m left-handed, and I have a Logictech Trackman Wheel (the marble is under the thumb) that I control with my right hand. I can do very precise masking in Photoshop with it; much, much more precise than I can do with the mouse in my left hand. Yet, I write and draw with my left hand. I recently added a Wacom tablet that I use with my left hand, and it’s a little easier to be precise with that.

The reason that I use a trackball in my right hand and a mouse with my left is that I get less stress and shoulder aches if I switch back and forth.

All three of these pointing devices are USB plug-ins, and all three are always active. The only time the mouse and trackball are inactive is if the tablet pen is near the tablet, and that over-rides the other devices. Lift the pen a few inches and all three are again active and usable.

I have a finger-controlled trackball, but I don’t use it. I bought it, but found I’m more precise with my thumb. The only advantage it has is that it can be used with the right or left hand. The thumb-controlled device is for the right hand only.

Tony Cooper – Orlando, Florida
R
Rick
Mar 4, 2009
"Ofnuts" wrote in message
Ricky H wrote:

I’ve got a quite cheap Logitech RX1000 and everyone in the 4-people household thinks it’s the best mouse we ever had.

Yeah, I’ve got a Wacom Graphire too, but for general stuff I prefer using a mouse.
B
Bruce
Mar 4, 2009
"Ricky H" wrote:
I must admit they did catch my eye and I quite like the idea of trackballs (more so the finger ones than the thumb ones), but I’m not sure whether I would be able to get used to it, especially as I use a mouse at work.

I use two laptops, one with a trackpad and one with a small clip-on trackball, plus my partner’s computer has a mouse with a scroll wheel. I don’t find any difficulty swapping between the various pointing devices. They are all fairly intuitive.

Do you ever miss a mouse for doing certain things?

Yes, scrolling. The Marble Mouse has some scrolling ability but it needs you to click a button then use the trackball to scroll. I find scrolling is useful when reading or working on long documents in Word or Excel. Apart from that, I don’t miss a mouse at all.
D
DRS
Mar 4, 2009

[…]

What are the advantages of a graphics tablet for photo work?
TC
tony cooper
Mar 4, 2009
On Wed, 4 Mar 2009 18:41:00 +1100, "DRS"
wrote:

[…]

That depends on what photo work you do. The primary advantage of a tablet in photo work is the ease of precisely positioning and moving the cursor when using the pen tool, brush tool, or lasso tool, and working with a layer mask or quick mask. If you don’t do this type of photo work, then a tablet offers no advantage in photo work.

Tablets are also used by people who do free-hand art with some computer program.

AM
Andrew Morton
Mar 4, 2009
tony cooper wrote:
Tablets are also used by people who do free-hand art with some computer program.

And also people who find a mouse painful to use.

Andrew
TC
tony cooper
Mar 4, 2009
On Wed, 4 Mar 2009 16:15:32 -0000, "Andrew Morton" wrote:

tony cooper wrote:

You do understand that this type of mouse doesn’t bite if held?

FA
Frank Arthur
Mar 4, 2009
"Ricky H"

I suggest a small hole along the baseboard.
D
Dave
Mar 4, 2009
"Andrew Morton" (making a fool of himself) wrote:

Andrew

Andrew, go talk shit somewhere else. Not between realistic grownups. My basic work is painting and of course I am using a graphic pen there for. But to blow it up and calling it a pain is comical. Not funny but only comical. I am using a mouse whenever I am not painting. You are not even a good clown. Only a idiot.

A link to your work please.
Here is (one of) mine…idiot.
Where’s yours?
http://dave.photos.gb.net/p40012705.html

Dave
AM
Andrew Morton
Mar 4, 2009
tony cooper wrote:
On Wed, 4 Mar 2009 16:15:32 -0000, "Andrew Morton"
tony cooper wrote:

You do understand that this type of mouse doesn’t bite if held?

Yes, and they don’t squeak any more now they have no balls 😮

(I’m not the only one in c.g.a.p. who has found a pen tablet reduces RSI.)

Andrew
D
Dave
Mar 4, 2009
wrote:

"Ofnuts"
DRS

I am still waiting for an answer to this (last of course) question. Why being so quiet, ofnuts? (or are you of- nuts?)
JU
jclarke.usenet
Mar 4, 2009
Dave wrote:
"Andrew Morton" (making a fool of himself) wrote:

Andrew

Andrew, go talk shit somewhere else. Not between realistic grownups. My basic work is painting and of course I am using a graphic pen there for. But to blow it up and calling it a pain is comical. Not funny but only comical. I am using a mouse whenever I am not painting. You are not even a good clown. Only a idiot.

Just a point of curiosity, but are you using a Wacom tablet? If so, you might want to take a look at the Wacom mouse.

And there are people who have trouble with a mouse.
TC
tony cooper
Mar 4, 2009
On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 19:48:28 +0200, Dave wrote:

wrote:

"Ofnuts"
DRS

I am still waiting for an answer to this (last of course) question. Why being so quiet, ofnuts? (or are you of- nuts?)
I supplied an answer several hours ago: precision of placement and movement of the pointer in image modification where selections are made.

D
Dave
Mar 4, 2009
Just a point of curiosity, but are you using a Wacom tablet? If so, you might want to take a look at the Wacom mouse.

And there are people who have trouble with a mouse.

No, I do not. I am using a ‘Genius’ tablet, which also include a Genius cordless mouse, but I hate using the cordless mouse because it is only effective when used on the tablet. When not painting, I am using a normal mouse with the freedom of the table.

Sorry Andrew, for being so rude, but this was said single minutes after sorting out a fight (a fist fight) between a neighbor and his girlfriends father collecting his daughter from the neighboring house and punching his son in law to be:-) The young guys girlfriend was back at their home 10 minutes later, anyway:-)

Apologizing for being rude does not say I am changing my mind about a pen is to be used only for painting and is a pain to be used for normal mouse work:-)
D
Dave
Mar 4, 2009
On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 15:33:24 -0500, tony cooper
wrote:

wrote:

"Ofnuts"
DRS

I supplied an answer several hours ago: precision of placement and movement of the pointer in image modification where selections are made.

Oh, thanks Tony. I missed it, not being on line for several hours. Wonder why the OP didn’t answer:-)
TC
tony cooper
Mar 4, 2009
On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 23:10:10 +0200, Dave wrote:

On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 15:33:24 -0500, tony cooper
wrote:

wrote:

"Ofnuts"
DRS

Oh, thanks Tony. I missed it, not being on line for several hours. Wonder why the OP didn’t answer:-)

Just to elaborate a bit, if you have an image where there is a central figure foreground and a background that is too sharp, you might want to make the part of the image surrounding the central figure blurred by applying a Gaussian blur. There are various ways of making the selection, but they all require that you precisely isolate the central figure. You can do it with a mouse or a trackball, but you can do it easier with the graphic tablet pen. Your motion is more fluid, more like drawing.

Not everyone acclimates easily or quickly to a graphics tablet. I’m on my third one. I gave away my first two because I couldn’t get the hang of it. I don’t know why, but I acclimated very quickly the third time. More determined to manage it, I guess.

Someone’s going to say that the photo should have been shot at a setting that blurred the background in the first place. That is better, of course, but sometimes we shoot without thinking and do get an image we want to rescue.

My comments are based on the fact that I have both the full version of Photoshop and Photoshop Essentials. There are other programs, not from Adobe, that allow this.

R
Rick
Mar 4, 2009
"Frank Arthur" wrote in message
I suggest a small hole along the baseboard.

Or a big hole if you live in New York:
http://www.worth1000.com/emailthis.asp?entry=250958
R
Ray
Mar 4, 2009
"Ricky H" wrote:

Yeah, that’s looking the best of the bunch at the moment (would prefer it if it was all black though).

Stop washing your hands, and it soon will be.

Ray
(remove the Xs to reply)
R
ronviers
Mar 5, 2009
a pen is to be used only for painting and is a pain to be used for normal mouse work:-)

I disagree. If you struggle with "normal" work when using a tablet then you will surely have problems trying to paint with one – better, imo, to learn to use the tablet well.
O
Ofnuts
Mar 5, 2009
Dave wrote:
wrote:

"Ofnuts"
DRS

I just live in a different time zone. Now for the answer:

The graphics tablet has three advantages for photo work:

1) it’s a perfectly linear pointer, with no ballistics like a mouse (try writing on the screen with a mouse). It makes things very easy when you have to move the pointer accurately on long stretches (erasing around objects, for instance).

2) It adds a "third dimension" because it’s pressure sensitive. You can tell the graphics program to use this information for opacity (or eraser efficiency), or size, or color…

3) On some tablets the stylus has both ends active and they can be associated to different tools, so you can switch tools by flipping the stylus.

There is no need for a big tablet, I don’t feel constrained by my A6 one. On the contrary this reduces the amplitude of the moves.

On the whole a tablet is also a bit more relaxing for the wrist. It not as efficient as a mouse for standard point & click, but I’ve used it a couple of times with a solitaire game and it’s quite usable.

Bertrand
D
Dave
Mar 5, 2009
On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 17:50:24 -0500, tony cooper
wrote:

Just to elaborate a bit, if you have an image where there is a central figure foreground and a background that is too sharp, you might want to make the part of the image surrounding the central figure blurred by applying a Gaussian blur. There are various ways of making the selection, but they all require that you precisely isolate the central figure. You can do it with a mouse or a trackball, but you can do it easier with the graphic tablet pen. Your motion is more fluid, more like drawing.

Not everyone acclimates easily or quickly to a graphics tablet. I’m on my third one. I gave away my first two because I couldn’t get the hang of it. I don’t know why, but I acclimated very quickly the third time. More determined to manage it, I guess.

Thanks for the explanation, Tony. I became used to the handling of the graphic tablet after less than an afternoon’s work, but still prefer to do the normal mouse work with the mouse. Maybe because I am not using Wacom but are using the Genius version, which I assume does not have all the facilities the Wacom have.
D
Dave
Mar 5, 2009

I just live in a different time zone. Now for the answer:

So does many of us. I am from Africa.

The graphics tablet has three advantages for photo work:
1) it’s a perfectly linear pointer, with no ballistics like a mouse (try writing on the screen with a mouse). It makes things very easy when you have to move the pointer accurately on long stretches (erasing around objects, for instance).

2) It adds a "third dimension" because it’s pressure sensitive. You can tell the graphics program to use this information for opacity (or eraser efficiency), or size, or color…

3) On some tablets the stylus has both ends active and they can be associated to different tools, so you can switch tools by flipping the stylus.

There is no need for a big tablet, I don’t feel constrained by my A6 one. On the contrary this reduces the amplitude of the moves.
On the whole a tablet is also a bit more relaxing for the wrist. It not as efficient as a mouse for standard point & click, but I’ve used it a couple of times with a solitaire game and it’s quite usable.

Like I said to Tony, thanx for explaining. When I decided to buy a graphic tablet, there was absolute no place in this massive city of Durban where I could get hold of Wacom. I had to decide on Genius, which is the best graphic pen I ever had..! (also the 1st one:-)

I come to the conclusion it can not be compared, because there seem to be facilities on the Wacom which I do not have on the Genius. Wacom is now for sale on nearly every cafe on the street corners, but, my Genius is 6" X 8" and I really enjoy using it. Even while it does not have an eraser on the rear side of the pen etc, I have the mouse to find the eraser with:-)

Keep well
TC
tony cooper
Mar 5, 2009
On Thu, 05 Mar 2009 20:13:38 +0200, Dave wrote:

On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 17:50:24 -0500, tony cooper
wrote:

Thanks for the explanation, Tony. I became used to the handling of the graphic tablet after less than an afternoon’s work, but still prefer to do the normal mouse work with the mouse. Maybe because I am not using Wacom but are using the Genius version, which I assume does not have all the facilities the Wacom have.

In another post I mentioned that I have three pointing devices always plugged in: a corded mouse, a trackball, and a Wacom tablet. I use the tablet only for precision work. I switch between the trackball under my right hand and the corded mouse under my left hand. The switching reduces the shoulder pain I get from using one exclusively.

The Wacom tablet (Bamboo) comes with a non-corded mouse, but I never use it. It’s too small to fit my hand comfortably, and the tablet is too small for adequate mouse movement.

GO
George Orwell
Mar 10, 2009
In article ,
Dave smugly wrote:
A link to your work please.
Here is (one of) mine…idiot.
Where’s yours?
http://dave.photos.gb.net/p40012705.html

Is this a picture of vases or of a girl?
Why is her skin color so off — not even a close approximation of Marshall’s Photo Oils? Why is her right arm colorized but not her left?
Why is the colorization on her arms so chewed up? Problems with the tablet? Why does one vase have green splotches and the rest are monochrome? What’s the deal with the cheesy vignetting effect around the edges? Why are the paintings behind the girl out of focus but the wall and pitcher coplanar with them in focus?
Why is the plane of sharp focus the back wall?
Why are the girl and the foreground vases out of focus?
Why does the vase on the left look like a failed attempt at motion blur? Why are there specular highlights on the tiny vase in front and the pitcher behind? Why does the lighting direction on the girl not match the rest of the picture?

Is everyone in Sud Efrika as obnoxious as you? Or just the Afrikaners?

Be very careful calling others idiots when relying on your own barely acceptable work to prove that you aren’t.

Il mittente di questo messaggio|The sender address of this non corrisponde ad un utente |message is not related to a real reale ma all’indirizzo fittizio|person but to a fake address of an di un sistema anonimizzatore |anonymous system
Per maggiori informazioni |For more info
https://www.mixmaster.it

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections