Opening and Saving files over a network?

SK
Posted By
steven_kornreich
May 11, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Ever since we upgraded to PS CS, Our network performace has gone way down. We save all our images on a Windows 2003 server and when we go to load or save a file to the server with PS CS, it takes much longer then it did with PS 7. Anyone have any ideas?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

P
Phosphor
May 11, 2004
Bottom Line:

DON’T Open or Save files directly to a network server. Period. Adobe has contraindicated this for years.

Copy file to your local hard drive. Work on it. Copy it back to the server. Overwrite the file on the server, or save it with a revision number in the file name—whichever your standard workflow dictates.

There is NO argument on this.
SK
steven_kornreich
May 11, 2004
That still does not answer my question Why is CS so much slower when saving to a server then 7.01 was
P
Phosphor
May 11, 2004
If you were working as Adobe recommends the answer would be relevant only if you just want to know for your own edification.
B
BobLevine
May 12, 2004
With any luck at all, it’s so slow that you won’t be tempted to work that way anymore. As the others have pointed out, you shouldn’t be doing it anyway. It’s a recipe for file corruption and a world of tears.

Bob
L
LenHewitt
May 12, 2004
Steven,

In addition to what others have said, The only way Adobe support working over a network is by using Version Cue.
RC
Robert_Canavan
May 19, 2004
Is this also true for any kind of removable media, CD-RW or ATA Flash card for example. I find a very great degradation in performance between 7 and CS
B
BobLevine
May 19, 2004
Is this also true for any kind of removable media

Yes.

Bob
SK
steven_kornreich
May 19, 2004
Oh well. I have been working off four different windows 2000 servers for years, and I have never had a problem with corrupt files.
I guess I will stick with PS 7, unless I have to use a feature in CS

Steve
G
graffiti
May 19, 2004
I have been working off four different windows 2000 servers for years, and I have never had a problem with corrupt files.

You should play the lottery. You’re a lucky guy.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections