WB
Posted By
Will_B.
May 11, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
This is driving me nuts: a one pix black border around all ps documents–I can change the workspace background color to white (or whatever) but the distracting line remains–especially a pain when I’m trying to preview an image with a 1 pix black border…

Any way to hide this?

Thanks!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

DM
dave_milbut
May 11, 2004
nope.
BG
barry_gray
May 11, 2004
Dave, You can! Make the background black
WB
Will_B.
May 11, 2004
Most web sites I work on have white backgrounds…so if I’ve got an image with a 1 pix black border it looks screwy–and if the image has no border…it still does in photo&*#op!

Really no way around this, eh? Lame…
B
BobLevine
May 11, 2004
I think everyone assumed you were talking about the image on screen. That black border shouldn’t be part of the image.

Bob
DM
dave_milbut
May 11, 2004
Make the background black

wisenheimer!
WB
Will_B.
May 11, 2004
Yes, I’m talking about the border on the screen. Though it is not part of my images it appears on every one–the only way I can preview my images is to do it outside of photoshop–a big pain. I don’t understand why adobe lets you adjust the color of the background but not the border. I’d love to get ride of it.

The only solution I’ve come up with is to create a larger canvas size than my final document slice the area I want to work with. But again, a big pain for a simple problem…
B
BobLevine
May 11, 2004
Only if you consider it a problem. I like knowing where the image ends.

Bob
WB
Will_B.
May 11, 2004
Right. Me too…sometimes. But adobe gives me no choice on when to show it and when not to. And again, if my image has a border of it’s own, I already KNOW where it ends…
MO
Mike_Ornellas
May 12, 2004
Make the canvas size bigger, but first, select all and save that selection so you can go back and crop later.

know why?

because there ain’t a chance in hell getting rid of it so deal with it.
WB
Will_B.
May 12, 2004
Yeah, I’ve heard this before…I’m not supposed to need function "X" and then at some point adobe gets it’s butt in gear, adds the feature (eg underlining, undo) and everbody says what a great new feature it is… Dang ps worshipers–adobe can do no wrong. I use ps daily, but still am able to see the pain-in-the-ass shortcomings.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
May 12, 2004
Your issue is totally minor and will be ignored.
WB
Will_B.
May 12, 2004
Um, no. Illustrator lets you hide the document border as does coreldraw and about every other graphics app out there. See, programs like photoshop are made for VISUAL manipulation of images. If a program shows borders where there aren’t borders…there’s a problem. Elementary! =)

And again, it will be fixed some day and then I’ll hear from you about what a great new feature has been added. Seen in before. Will see it again.

Mod: please move post to feature request forum. Thanks!
L
LenHewitt
May 13, 2004
please move post to feature request forum<<

No. RE-phrase it AS a feature request and post it there yourself
WB
Will_B.
May 14, 2004
I’m guessing you’re not a moderator–jeez, not a very friendly forum…

For the record, since it appears ps doesn’t allow hiding the border (at least nobody in the forums knows how)…I did find a quasi solution in Windows: set the window colors to white and enlarge the width of window borders. Not perfect, but does allow you to preview an image without the border, in cases where the black border is distracting.

The all-white color scheme is annoying, of course, but you can save it as a custom scheme and only enable it when needed. Still would like to see a simple option in preferences to hide the border–AI’s got it so why not PS?…
DM
dave_milbut
May 14, 2004
I’m guessing you’re not a moderator–jeez, not a very friendly forum…

he is, and it is.
DM
Don_McCahill
May 14, 2004
Will

I don’t know why the natives got on your case on this one, but it is generally a friendly forum, as Dave points out. Len is a moderator, but the feature request section is only for feature requests, and this thread probably has too much other stuff in it to just move the whole thing.

I can see where your complaint is a valid one, but perhaps you were being read by others as criticizing our favorite program. Make a request and perhaps your modification will be implemented in a future version (others have asked for it too, although rarely).

Adobe will have to look at how much programming is involved in making the change (not much I would think) but more importantly whether the value of the change is desired by enough people to compensate for adding one more thing into an already complex piece of software.

Hope you hang around the forum enough to see that we are generally a nice bunch of guys and gals.
ND
Nick_Decker
May 15, 2004
Will, ditto to what Don said. You got jumped on by some smart asses, typical for any forum these days, I think. By and large, the forum is helpful and friendly, and Len was just telling you the best way to go about getting your issue heard. No reason for Len to do your bidding, eh? (Len has been telling me what to do for years, and he hasn’t screwed me up yet.)
L
LenHewitt
May 15, 2004
Will,

Sorry that you took offence, but it would be pointless to move a topic with many replies already in it to the Feature Request forum, and posts there should be framed AS Feature requests, not as a "How do I do this?" question.

YOU want the feature so YOU request it.

It is not a moderator’s job to re-write posts for folks.
WB
Will_B.
May 17, 2004
But it is a moderators job to foster a supportive, constructive environment, not contribute to a hostile one. A little less attitude, please! Don’t say "sorry" and then yell.

I won’t be returning to Adobe forums. Was a thoroughly unhelpful experience…
DM
dave_milbut
May 17, 2004
we gee, we learned a lot from him huh? sorry to see him go!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections