Posted By
Linda_Farmer
May 11, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi folks,

I’ve been surfing for a deal to upgrade my PS6 to CS as I’ve just invested big bucks in a new Dell (to replace my 1997 antique) and Adobe Customer Support informed me that PS6 won’t function on the XP system.

So, I found the PS Upgrade on Amazon for $139 with free shipping. Does that sound like a good buy or have any of you deal-wizards found a better offer?

TIA, Linda F

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

HK
Harron_K._Appleman
May 11, 2004
Linda,

Adobe Customer Support informed me that PS6 won’t function on the XP system.

That’s simply untrue.

=-= Harron =-=
B
BobLevine
May 11, 2004
PS 6 should work just fine on XP but the Amazon deal on CS is pretty good. I doubt you’ll find it legally at a cheaper price.

Bob
LF
Linda_Farmer
May 11, 2004
Uh, thanks, I think.

Now I wonder about the need to upgrade at all at this point …
DM
dave_milbut
May 11, 2004
if you have the reps name, you should call back and talk to a supervisor about that bad advice… did they say "will not run" or "is not supported"? big diff there. 6 works fine under xp, but i don’t think it’s supported.
LF
Linda_Farmer
May 11, 2004
I called Adobe’s Product Info line to ask about each version of all the Adobe programs I own in preparation to spec the computer.

The fellow I talked to told me I "must update" PS6 for the XP system I was planning to get; that v7 is compatible with XP, but 6 isn’t.

He also said I should "be prepared" to update InDesign2 to v3 if I ran into problems.

Dave, I suspect you are right in saying he may have meant PS6 isn’t supported, but the notes I made of our call definitely show "must update" PS6.

I’m glad to hear you support the fact that it does work fine on XP. I plan to upgrade my software "sometime" but right now a new computer is enough for the budget without doing unnecessary program upgrades (and the learning experience that that often entails).
KL
Katherine_Lawson
May 12, 2004
Hi Linda, maybe he meant that you had to get the patch to upgrade 6 to 6.01.

6.01 works perfectly on my Win XP computer, but since I’ve had PSCS, I haven’t opened 6.01 even once. I saved it on my computer for a while for security, but I think I’m going to remove it now, since I don’t feel any need for it anymore.

The Amazon deal sounds really good, and if you have a digital camera, you’ll love CS!

The file browser in CS sure is a big help. I don’t have to keep ACDSee open all the time to browse for photos, (or graphics), anymore, and since my camera uses RAW, the Adobe Camera RAW is great! Also, there is a neat highlight and shadow filter, and a few other things that I use.
DM
dave_milbut
May 12, 2004
healing/patch tool weren’t in 6 either. 139 no shipping is a great deal. i’d jump anyway.
KL
Katherine_Lawson
May 12, 2004
Yeah, I was trying to remember what some of the other things I like were, but I had a mental block. Thanks Dave!
LF
Linda_Farmer
May 12, 2004
Thanks for the encouragement to upgrade (I do use 6.01 BTW), it sounds like it’s worth it.
DM
dave_milbut
May 12, 2004
for 139 and no shipping, i’d say it’s the most cost effective upgrade on your system if you use ps a lot. the diff between 6 and 7 was amazing. the diff between 6 and 8 will blow your doors off!
HK
Harron_K._Appleman
May 12, 2004
He also said I should "be prepared" to update InDesign2 to v3 if I ran into problems.

Balderdash!
GM
gordon_morris
May 12, 2004
According to the Wise Adobe Group Syndicate (WAGS), I am one of the gang of 4 (or 5, but definitely no more than 7!!) that has encountered "memory hog" errors on my Dell 3 Ghz CPU w/ 1.5 Gb RAM. You may gleem some insight from the meandering snippets of the following forum:

<http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?128@@.3bb3fad1>

Caveat Emptor.
LF
Linda_Farmer
May 12, 2004
I have certainly noted over the past months that CS seems to have more than the usual number of gentle folks steamed beyond recognition, and not just in the Photoshop forum. Many GoLive users are apopletic over the removal of the Dynamic Content capability and I can’t say I blame them. A step backwards for progress.

But onwards and upwards, I shall have faith. And hope I don’t have to eat my words!
HK
Harron_K._Appleman
May 12, 2004
Linda,

By all means upgrade. Just make sure you’re doing so for the right reasons. A step in that direction, it seems to me, would be to completely ignore whatever this Adobe representative told you.

=-= Harron =-=

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections